Post-Game Talk: Florida Panthers at New York Rangers 11/10/2013

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
You've just described the NBC crew which is like the worst crew ever assembled for a hockey production. That's not even a valid antidote. No one said others are perfect. You're spinning things just to shout.

"Not appreciating the past shows a lack of refinement"?

What is this? The Hallmark graduation card section?

No one is disrespecting Sam and his body of work. The point being made is that there can be an improvement to Sam via a replacement in the near future and considering the rate at which Sam is becoming less and less attentive to the way the game is being played and at times the game itself, MSG should consider finding a successor to Sam soon.

There's a difference between "great" or "likable" and skilled. Glen Sather is definitely a great in various aspects of his career. To use the "great" criterion you used, Glen should also keep his job indefinitely.

Stop taking things so personal. A valid point that you disagree with is still a valid point. Sam isn't as sharp as he was and should be.

THis! 100% Agree!

It's definitely no slight to Sam and his career to want someone who actually calls PBP versus flirting with Micheletti.

BarbaraAlphanse

You've just described the NBC crew which is like the worst crew ever assembled for a hockey production. That's not even a valid antidote. No one said others are perfect. You're spinning things just to shout.

"Not appreciating the past shows a lack of refinement"?

What is this? The Hallmark graduation card section?

No one is disrespecting Sam and his body of work. The point being made is that there can be an improvement to Sam via a replacement in the near future and considering the rate at which Sam is becoming less and less attentive to the way the game is being played and at times the game itself, MSG should consider finding a successor to Sam soon.

There's a difference between "great" or "likable" and skilled. Glen Sather is definitely a great in various aspects of his career. To use the "great" criterion you used, Glen should also keep his job indefinitely.

Stop taking things so personal. A valid point that you disagree with is still a valid point. Sam isn't as sharp as he was and should be.

The point is this whole thing started because he failed to mention a hit. We have been on a win streak. What's the problem on the board? We've looked dominant and still things pop up to complain about.

I'm not taking it personally. It's irritating coming on here after a win and watching people continue to whine about absolutely nothing.

He makes mistakes on names sometimes. My point was so does every announcer.

He likes to reminisce and that bothers people. My point is he has a rich history of the club and of hockey in general. Pointing that out as negative shows a lack of refinement, yes. I don't know what else it would show. If you substitute that with someone who just does play by play you'll get people on here complaining that the announcer doesn't have enough personality and hockey knowledge.

I fail to see where Sam is being less and less attentive... His sharpness with names? Players change their jersey numbers. This season there are a lot of new faces, a lot of new jersey numbers. Every announcer struggles with this.

What else? That he should be describing what a "doozy" a hit is right after its made?

The point is why is this even a point. We won. Sam is as dynamic of an announcer as they come. He makes similar mistakes to all announcers.

What's next? Why don't we complain about the MSG closed captioning typist for making so many typos.

After that let's fire the organ player for playing the same song at every game.

Finally let's fire the equipment manager cause you can't see the sticks on the telecast.

:facepalm:

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
The point is this whole thing started because he failed to mention a hit. We have been on a win streak. What's the problem on the board? We've looked dominant and still things pop up to complain about.

I'm not taking it personally. It's irritating coming on here after a win and watching people continue to whine about absolutely nothing.

It's been bugging me for quite some time. I didn't watch the game live last night, but watching the highlights was just the straw that broke the camel's back. It certainly wasn't the spontaneous, random, unfounded criticism you make it out to be.

Sure, it happens occasionally, but from the games I've watched and broadcasters I've listened to, not with anywhere near the frequency of Sam.

He likes to reminisce and that bothers people. My point is he has a rich history of the club and of hockey in general. Pointing that out as negative shows a lack of refinement, yes. I don't know what else it would show. If you substitute that with someone who just does play by play you'll get people on here complaining that the announcer doesn't have enough personality and hockey knowledge.
Lack of refinement? :laugh:

Reminiscing is fine. Getting involved in entire ****ing discussions with the color guy and subsequently neglecting your actual job and missing important plays is not fine.

I fail to see where Sam is being less and less attentive... His sharpness with names? Players change their jersey numbers. This season there are a lot of new faces, a lot of new jersey numbers. Every announcer struggles with this.

Jersey numbers are the least of my concerns.

What else? That he should be describing what a "doozy" a hit is right after its made?

Considering that was the biggest hit of the season to this point, yes. His job is play-by-play. PLAY BY PLAY. Ignoring the hit entirely is objectively bad announcing if you consider why play-by-play guys are hired.

The point is why is this even a point. We won. Sam is as dynamic of an announcer as they come. He makes similar mistakes to all announcers.
Dynamic? I mean, if you want to defend Sam because you think he holds some sort of nostalgic and sentimental value, that's fine. I think you're wrong, but that's fine. But legitimately characterizing Sam as dynamic at this point in his career? LOL.

And once again, you revert to stating your opinion as it is a matter of fact. "Hey guys, why are we still arguing this? I already informed you of my opinion, I figured that would be enough to cease all discussion on the topic for the remainder of time."

What's next? Why don't we complain about the MSG closed captioning typist for making so many typos.

Finally let's fire the equipment manager cause you can't see the sticks on the telecast.

Strawmen! Strawmen galore!

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

Nothing is wrong with reminiscing, he just has bad timing for it.

You're exactly right. You fail to see how Sam is being less attentive.

Your straw man thing about the typist and organ player and equipment manager is making it seem like we want Sam fired and his head on a stick.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I feel like most people were just spoiled by sam in his "prime" and now that he's slown down people can't deal with having somewhat of a down to earth announcer. If you want to see bad go give a listen to bob cole, the Avs announcer, Sabers Announcer or god forbid BOS/PIT

After your ears stop bleeding you may have a different view on Sam currently.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Sam is here until he dies or doesn't feel like it. People need to accept this. I'm fine with it, he's slowed down but he's still a well above average PBP man. People really don't know how spoiled we are in this aspect.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Sam is here until he dies or doesn't feel like it. People need to accept this. I'm fine with it, he's slowed down but he's still a well above average PBP man. People really don't know how spoiled we are in this aspect.

Yep. I read somewhere that he has the job for life, and he told his friends and family to let him know when "he's losing a few steps." Personally, I love him, he is Rangers hockey and as you said, still very above average.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I love Sam. Still appreciate his work and has lots of fire for team. May have lost it a bit but still...much better than a LOT of guys. Many..

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Sam is much, much better than many of the homer announcers out there.

Yes, he does miss some of the action, but the quality that he provides is much higher than that around most of the league.

The Capitals, Pittsburgh, Boston and Avalanche crew come to mind.

BarbaraAlphanse

Sam is much, much better than many of the homer announcers out there.

Yes, he does miss some of the action, but the quality that he provides is much higher than that around most of the league.

The Capitals, Pittsburgh, Boston and Avalanche crew come to mind.

Bruins games up here are unbearable bc of Edwards.

Pittsburgh announcers are worse.

Capitals announcers are somewhere in between.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yep. I read somewhere that he has the job for life, and he told his friends and family to let him know when "he's losing a few steps." Personally, I love him, he is Rangers hockey and as you said, still very above average.
It's widely known that when people say "I read somewhere" that they're making it up.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Bruins games up here are unbearable bc of Edwards.

Pittsburgh announcers are worse.

Capitals announcers are somewhere in between.

Add the Avs' announcers.

Sam may not be as good as he used to be, but he's still better than a lot of the announcers out there.

BarbaraAlphanse

Then what the **** are they waiting for?

Ask the majority of Rangers fans if they like listening to Sam Rosen do the play by play and the answer will likely be yes. I just asked about 10 of my friends what they thought of Sam Rosen... varying personalities... not one had a complaint about Sam (this was after they all asked why I would ask a question that was such a waste of their time).

In fact, this may be the worst, most pointless, time wasting, idiotic argument, that hfboards has had in the 5 years i've been a member here. People like listening to Sam.

BarbaraAlphanse

Add the Avs' announcers.

Sam may not be as good as he used to be, but he's still better than a lot of the announcers out there.

Never listened in on one of their games... fortunately (it seems like).

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Then what the **** are they waiting for?

Ask the majority of Rangers fans if they like listening to Sam Rosen do the play by play and the answer will likely be yes. I just asked about 10 of my friends what they thought of Sam Rosen... varying personalities... not one had a complaint about Sam (this was after they all asked why I would ask a question that was such a waste of their time).

In fact, this may be the worst, most pointless, time wasting, idiotic argument, that hfboards has had in the 5 years i've been a member here. People like listening to Sam.

Yeah, I have no problem with him. The "issues" are miniscule. If it does in fact become an issue, he will step down, I don't think he's the one to cling on for dear life, he will leave on top. As of now, I think he is fine and I hope to listen to him for a few more years until he signs off. Until then, I'm going to enjoy his commentary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad