Post-Game Talk: Florida Panthers at New York Rangers 11/10/2013

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
NY fans aren't instantly gratified with a still by still description of a particular hit and want blood. Shut up. Sam is great at his job. Picking at straws.

Oh, please. This isn't just about his non-call on the Callahan hit and that should be obvious. This is a pattern of ineptitude that's been going on for awhile now. Between mixing up player names, to missing huge plays entirely because he can't keep up, or missing them because he's too busy reminiscing about some trivial ******** that happened 30 years ago or Chris Kreider's favorite cereal growing up as a kid, he just isn't qualified any longer, for me.

In the mean time, I'll just look forward to the NBCSN games so I can hear Doc (there's an example of someone not going downhill in their late 60s), or listen to Kenny Albert.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
No issues with this early during the regular season.

Late season playoff on the line not the time to do it

I agree. There's a time and a place. 1:15 to go, trying to hold a one-goal lead? Probably not a good time, but his heart was in the right place--we've been seeing too many guys take liberties against the Rangers as of late. If that is to be guarded against, Kreider is going to be a big part of the deterrent.

DoTheBlue

No Expectations
Apr 5, 2007
Pennsylvania
We score opening goal that looks like 80s Oilers. NYR take bad PP late in first. Hank makes two ridiculous save, third shot squeaks by him, Fla ties game. I make home made peanut butter cups between periods. Excellent decision. Fla goes up 2-1 midway thru 2nd, Dorsett wills a goal shortly thereafter, period ends 2-2. I eat more peanut butter cups between periods. Richards puts a gorgeous shot in early in the third, making up for him missing the entire net earlier from 2 feet away. NYR get a PP moments later, MZA buries a nice shot. PP looks very good. Gf calls and FL scores to bring the game to 4-3. I tell gf she is bad luck and get off phone. Rangers win 4-3. Upshall sexually assaulted twice and shopping for an engagement ring since two Rangers made him their *****.

Great recap. Especially the part about the peanut butter cups.

AdamGravesNight

Sep 23, 2008
Vegas/Jersey/Georgia
nybigblue.com

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
Good to get the two points last night. You can see the potential of Barkov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, etc but I'm glad the Rangers were able to pull it off. Thomas will always be one of my favorite goalies, he's just funny to watch. And while JT Miller wasn't enthused, Thomas punching him was just Thomas being Thomas haha I'd like to see goalies in general do more of this, establishing territory, "stay outta my crease" kind of thing.

Regarding the announcers, I moved down to DC a few years ago, still a die hard Ranger fan, but Rangers-Caps games are always blacked out on Center Ice, so I have to sit through Joe Beninati and the league's worst, Craig Laughlin. you wanna appreciate Sam more? Sit through Laughlin, as it does seem like we play the Caps in the playoffs EVERY YEAR

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kreider doesn't know how strong he is and he shoved Upshall. Brooks wrote Upshall was "defenseless". Please. :)

even if the guy was 'defenseless'...maybe he should quit harrassing the rangers best player. i absolutely love the message kreider sent. if upshaw just played hockey, he wouldn't have gone splat.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
even if the guy was 'defenseless'...maybe he should quit harrassing the rangers best player. i absolutely love the message kreider sent. if upshaw just played hockey, he wouldn't have gone splat.
He was defenseless. He was engaged with another player.

Boyle had a 55% CF% despite an OffZoneSt% of only 16.7%. Plus he picked up an assist on the Dorsett goal. He's on a 29 point pace for the season.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Boyle has ben great this season. I can't wait till D. Moore is back and Boyle-Moore-Dorsett can be our 4th line. Dorsett has been a pleasure to watch and never quits.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
He was defenseless. He was engaged with another player.

Boyle had a 55% CF% despite an OffZoneSt% of only 16.7%. Plus he picked up an assist on the Dorsett goal. He's on a 29 point pace for the season.

Brian Boyle has been supreme.

Bardon, pls

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Boyle has been solid lately and Del Zotto is starting to pick it up offensively. Unfortunately, these two players are amongst the most despised by the fanbase, so there are many fans that will be hard-pressed to admit when they are playing well.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Sam, while on the decline, is still better than most announcers covering other teams. I don't care if he goofs up here and there. His voice is classic and he's unbiased for the most part.

Idiots like Edwards and Steigerwald seem to brainwash their audience more than anything.

That's what makes him good. For that reason alone I can put up with his name butchering.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Kreider doesn't know how strong he is and he shoved Upshall. Brooks wrote Upshall was "defenseless". Please. :)

Is Brooksie getting soft in his old age?

No Brooksie is just being Brooksie. Part of the reason I miss Torts is his hate for Brooks.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
First off, I'm 75/25 with regards to what Kreider did.

Upshall was playing like a dumbass and he was goading Stepan into doing something. I don't know if this was mentioned but a ****ing zebra was looking directly at them! Why the **** didn't he call matching penalties?!

That Kreider knocked him down his ass, good! Sure, I was a little irked that it happened so late in the game, but looking at the whole picture, I applaud Kreider and I think that ref is moreso to blame.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
First off, I'm 75/25 with regards to what Kreider did.

Upshall was playing like a dumbass and he was goading Stepan into doing something. I don't know if this was mentioned but a ****ing zebra was looking directly at them! Why the **** didn't he call matching penalties?!

That Kreider knocked him down his ass, good! Sure, I was a little irked that it happened so late in the game, but looking at the whole picture, I applaud Kreider and I think that ref is moreso to blame.

the rangers problem is they always (well, until kreider) look to the refs to police the ice...ain't happening. sometimes it takes a little roughhousing to keep things honest.

and speaking of honesty, it's not like he killed anyone. just knocked a punk on his bottom.

BarbaraAlphanse

Oh, please. This isn't just about his non-call on the Callahan hit and that should be obvious. This is a pattern of ineptitude that's been going on for awhile now. Between mixing up player names, to missing huge plays entirely because he can't keep up, or missing them because he's too busy reminiscing about some trivial ******** that happened 30 years ago or Chris Kreider's favorite cereal growing up as a kid, he just isn't qualified any longer, for me.

In the mean time, I'll just look forward to the NBCSN games so I can hear Doc (there's an example of someone not going downhill in their late 60s), or listen to Kenny Albert.

That level of ineptitude is found in every sport for every set of announcers.

Doc repeats the same set of 10 words every time he's on the air. He normally makes mistakes with names.

Olczyk, his usual partner, is as biased as they come. He's completely pro Chicago and his hatred for the Rangers comes out even when they're not playing in the game he's announcing.

Pierre, while very knowledgeable, commonly makes mistakes with players, where they've grown up, the colleges they attended, and many other miscellaneous facts he spits out during the course of the game.

Millbury is as limited as they come. Jones fixates on one point and can't really seem to stray off of it. I can't commentate on Englbom because he usually calls the Western Conference games and I don't stay up to watch the majority of them.

Every announcer has their fair share of miscues. Sam, while he has his faults, is as fair as they come. There is no obvious Rangers bias when he announces. He's to the point, he describes the play in a favorable manner, his voice isn't irritating, and when something big happens it's pretty dynamic to listen to his reaction.

Saying that others don't share the same mistakes he makes is ignorant. The guy is a legend. It's interesting listening to his past relics, even if they aren't always relevant. Not appreciating the past shows a lack of refinement.

Furthermore, why the **** is this even a topic of discussion or complaint. We have a great commentator. Period. Give someone a ton of gold and they'll complain about the manner that it was delivered to them. :shakehead

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
That level of ineptitude is found in every sport for every set of announcers.

Doc repeats the same set of 10 words every time he's on the air. He normally makes mistakes with names.

Olczyk, his usual partner, is as biased as they come. He's completely pro Chicago and his hatred for the Rangers comes out even when they're not playing in the game he's announcing.

Pierre, while very knowledgeable, commonly makes mistakes with players, where they've grown up, the colleges they attended, and many other miscellaneous facts he spits out during the course of the game.

Millbury is as limited as they come. Jones fixates on one point and can't really seem to stray off of it. I can't commentate on Englbom because he usually calls the Western Conference games and I don't stay up to watch the majority of them.

Every announcer has their fair share of miscues. Sam, while he has his faults, is as fair as they come. There is no obvious Rangers bias when he announces. He's to the point, he describes the play in a favorable manner, his voice isn't irritating, and when something big happens it's pretty dynamic to listen to his reaction.

Saying that others don't share the same mistakes he makes is ignorant. The guy is a legend. It's interesting listening to his past relics, even if they aren't always relevant. Not appreciating the past shows a lack of refinement.

Furthermore, why the **** is this even a topic of discussion or complaint. We have a great commentator. Period. Give someone a ton of gold and they'll complain about the manner that it was delivered to them. :shakehead

You've just described the NBC crew which is like the worst crew ever assembled for a hockey production. That's not even a valid antidote. No one said others are perfect. You're spinning things just to shout.

"Not appreciating the past shows a lack of refinement"?

What is this? The Hallmark graduation card section?

No one is disrespecting Sam and his body of work. The point being made is that there can be an improvement to Sam via a replacement in the near future and considering the rate at which Sam is becoming less and less attentive to the way the game is being played and at times the game itself, MSG should consider finding a successor to Sam soon.

There's a difference between "great" or "likable" and skilled. Glen Sather is definitely a great in various aspects of his career. To use the "great" criterion you used, Glen should also keep his job indefinitely.

Stop taking things so personal. A valid point that you disagree with is still a valid point. Sam isn't as sharp as he was and should be.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Also, Doc is good at what he does. SFW is talking about the analytic and hockey aspect of PBP, not the personality of the PBP guy or his quirks. Some complain about Sam being too vanilla while others find that preferable to a more opinionated PBP guy. You're defending Sam's deteriotating PBP ability with his likability and personality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad