Post-Game Talk: Florida Panthers at New York Rangers 11/10/2013

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Many of you are fortuitous enough to have an MSG broadcast every game. Every year up until this year I have had Center Ice and have had to suffer through many opposing teams broadcasts. Let me tell you this, if you saw as many awful PBP announcers as I have, you would be thankful to still have Sam.

Out of the Flyers, Pens, Devils and Islanders, Howie is the only decent one. From Washington, Joe Bennanati will make your ears bleed. Rick Jeanerette may give you a stroke. Boston's PBP will put you to sleep. Don't even get me started on the Western conference.

Bosotn is alright. Edwards is a great PBP guy but whenever there is a fight he turns into a fanatic 12 year old who thinks every Bruins player is Muhammad Ali or Superman. Brickley's accent makes my ears bleed.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I don't care if Sam is halfway senile and messes up the call from time to time. He's still one of the better pbp guys out there and if the alternative is Giannone or one of ther other goofs already in the organization, I hope they give him a five year contract extension.

NHRangerfan

Bosotn is alright. Edwards is a great PBP guy but whenever there is a fight he turns into a fanatic 12 year old who thinks every Bruins player is Muhammad Ali or Superman. Brickley's accent makes my ears bleed.

Agree as long as it's not a fight or a game against the Habs...one of the few announcers who doesn't sound like someone killed his dog when the other team scores...and living in New England any Ranger/Bruins game is only on NESN because of blackout rules...Jack always gives huge props to the Rangers.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Sam, while on the decline, is still better than most announcers covering other teams. I don't care if he goofs up here and there. His voice is classic and he's unbiased for the most part.

Idiots like Edwards and Steigerwald seem to brainwash their audience more than anything.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
And the compete level...large portions of the game where they didn't match the effort the Panthers were coming with, if not for Hank and the Panthers poor shooting (a lot of good looks shot wide), this is a different PGT. A game against one of the worst teams in the league on their 2nd night of a back to back shouldn't have been as difficult as it was if they played the entire game.

Remember our opponent on Tuesday will be playing like it's the SC Finals, effort needs to be better.

I'll take the 2 points.

I can guarantee a Rangers win tomorrow. The Habs on Saturday...probably not

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Per the Sam discussion (as off-topic as it is).

Sam is a highly respected, hyper-professional and talented PxP guy... the man is very accomplished and was being used by the NFL as recently as last year.

Getting on in years? Sure. But I think some are nitpicking the guy here. He is usually very unbias in his calls and that to me, above all else, is something to be lauded for. Especially these days.

Watch a TB game, or a Pens game.

Maybe it's getting close to time for him to hang 'em up but folks should give the guy the respect he deserves for a great career that has given many of us some of the most memorable calls of our lifetime.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
There is absolutely nothing worse than listening to Steigerwald-Errey. Awful.

I love Sam, better than 80% of PBP guys in the league.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Sam, while on the decline, is still better than most announcers covering other teams. I don't care if he goofs up here and there. His voice is classic and he's unbiased for the most part.

Idiots like Edwards and Steigerwald seem to brainwash their audience more than anything.

I gotta agree here. I've been listening to him since the way early 90's when i was a kid. His voice alone is just comforting to me. I know that sounds weird.

Also, I feel like if he and I were in the same supermarket and he walked behind me and said, "He scores!!" I'd drop everything, throw my arms up, and cheer.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kenny Albert would be the guy to replace Sam if a change was made. He did the NHL on Fox games. Kenny does some NBCSN games with Pierre McGuire sometimes. The radio voice of the Rangers. Kenny has his FOX NFL duties which will take him away for the first 3 months of the season for weekend games. Kenny with Goose and Moose are FOX's #2 team. Sammy doesn't do that many games anymore on FOX. It depends which teams are playing in the 3 weekly night games.

NHRangerfan

Sam is a highly respected, hyper-professional and talented PxP guy... the man is very accomplished and was being used by the NFL as recently as last year.

Getting on in years? Sure. But I think some are nitpicking the guy here. He is usually very unbias in his calls and that to me, above all else, is something to be lauded for. Especially these days.

Maybe it's getting close to time for him to hang 'em up but folks should give the guy the respect he deserves for a great career that has given many of us some of the most memorable calls of our lifetime.

Who is not giving Sam respect...because people have noted, correctly, that Sam has lost a few miles per hour on his fastball isn't disrespecting him...

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
other announcers have commented how far up the announcers area is at MSG...maybe its just further away and thus harder to read the jersey numbers....

if the games not in HD sometimes i get guys wrong...

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Sam is to the Rangers what Rizzuto was to the yankees.

Regardless of how bad they get, they are still "the voice" of the team.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
When I'm not streaming games I don't have a choice in broadcast, and it is usually not the MSG broadcast for some reason.

The only two I like of the names mentioned in this thread are Edwards and Beninati.

Edwards seems to like the Rangers and always calls a fair game when we are involved, color guy is meh.

Beninati IMO has a very good voice, which is enough for me to like him. Calls a decently fair game. Their color guy is among the worst in the league though, incredibly biased and caters way too much to casual fans.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Who is not giving Sam respect...because people have noted, correctly, that Sam has lost a few miles per hour on his fastball isn't disrespecting him...

I don't remember where or who, but I believe I remember "Civil War" and a reference to "Helen Keller" somewhere in this thread.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

Its a shame Kjell Kristian Rike wasn't American, he'd have made a good hockey commentator

BarbaraAlphanse

Sam's not going anywhere. Lol. He's got a great voice, great personality on air, and he's been the voice of the Rangers for decades now.

Boston fans adore Jack Parker. He's a homer. He misses things all the time. He says the most ridiculous things.

NY fans aren't instantly gratified with a still by still description of a particular hit and want blood. Shut up. Sam is great at his job. Picking at straws.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Rangers are taking advantage of a soft schedule. Beginning on November 30,the Rangers will play 12 games before the Christmas break. One of them will be a road game and its against Buffalo. They aren't playing many tough teams in those home games.

Vancouver,Winnipeg,Jersey,Caps,Nashville,Columbus,Calgary,Pittsburgh,Islanders,Minnesota and Toronto. They have Jersey tomorrow. Montreal on Saturday. LA and Boston at home next week. Road trip to Dallas,Nashville,TB,Florida and Boston(Black Friday).Then begins the home games before Christmas break.

The Rangers aren't a great team. The conference stinks. The Rangers can put themselves in a nice spot by taking advantage of their schedule in the next 6 weeks.

What stronger opponents? They're all in the west.

Great points RB.

The only thing I half-object to is the conference stinks part and how great the West is. I think its just the "new deal", "new normal", or whatever it should be called. Don't misunderstand me, I don't think we are contenders right now. We have a few flaws that if infected still could hurt us alot. But, while a few teams in the West are streaking, and the West in general got the East number for sure, teams in the NHL nowadays aren't much better than this.

The best teams in the League last season was Chicago and Boston. More or less 66% of the time Chicago sent forwards not named Towes and Kane on the ice along with D's named Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Rozsival and the likes. Sharpe, Handzus, Frolik, Shaw, Bolland, Kreuger, Stahlberg, Saad and co. Bickell. I really like some of those players, but they certainly aren't like even remotely compareable to like a good DRW team's depth 10 years ago. Not even remotely. Boston's best forward was probably Krejci. Boston is just a really well built team and Chara is a monster. They are a well coached team. But on basis of the raw ability they have, it certainly don't take an extremely fundamentally well built team to rattle team. You hardly must make the right decisions and build in the right direction for 10 years to compete with them, that was definitely more or less the case to compete with NJD 10 years ago.

My point is just, we shouldn't believe that this team is something that it is not. For sure. But we shouldn't worry all that much either about how much work we have infront of us to compete. AV needs time with this team. Torts took it in the wrong direction for quite some time. I also think we might need a personell change or two. But...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
When I'm not streaming games I don't have a choice in broadcast, and it is usually not the MSG broadcast for some reason.

The only two I like of the names mentioned in this thread are Edwards and Beninati.

Edwards seems to like the Rangers and always calls a fair game when we are involved, color guy is meh.

Beninati IMO has a very good voice, which is enough for me to like him. Calls a decently fair game. Their color guy is among the worst in the league though, incredibly biased and caters way too much to casual fans.

Listening to Beninati (aka Emrick Wannabe) when he was always on VS was water boarding level torture. If I go to hell I'll have to listen to that voice for all of eternity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad