Post-Game Talk: Florida Panthers at New York Rangers 11/10/2013

Cake or Death

Can I get a recap? pls

We score opening goal that looks like 80s Oilers. NYR take bad PP late in first. Hank makes two ridiculous save, third shot squeaks by him, Fla ties game. I make home made peanut butter cups between periods. Excellent decision. Fla goes up 2-1 midway thru 2nd, Dorsett wills a goal shortly thereafter, period ends 2-2. I eat more peanut butter cups between periods. Richards puts a gorgeous shot in early in the third, making up for him missing the entire net earlier from 2 feet away. NYR get a PP moments later, MZA buries a nice shot. PP looks very good. Gf calls and FL scores to bring the game to 4-3. I tell gf she is bad luck and get off phone. Rangers win 4-3. Upshall sexually assaulted twice and shopping for an engagement ring since two Rangers made him their *****.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Watching that tic tac toe on the first goal was just something else. McDonagh's toe drag had me all tingly inside.

Great game to be at even if it got a little ugly at times

RothmanHockey

NEW YORK – The Rangers didn’t get their best start in their Sunday evening match at MSG against the Panthers.

In fact, the Panthers – a team that had gone winless in its last eight games and just fired its coach — may have been outplaying the Rangers – a team that came into the game winners of five of their last six — through two periods.

But the Rangers scored on the opening shift of the third period to break the tie, got another 5:30 later, and edged past Florida, 4-3, for their sixth win in seven games. They improve their record to 9-8-0, the first time this season New York’s record is above the .500 mark.

“We started feeling better about ourselves last few weeks, and now the results are coming for us,†said defenseman Marc Staal. “It was an important two points for us.â€

http://insidehockey.com/late-charging-rangers-edge-panthers-at-msg

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I wouldn't necessarly say it was dumb of kreider to do what he did.

personally, I think he just tried to shove upshall and send a mesasge to get the hell off stepan (who took a ridiculous amount of abuse and got no call right before) but upshall fell like a stack of cards so it looks like kreider trucked him.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Yeah, like ten seconds later. That's not quite 'play-by-play'. The guy is so bad, it's embarrassing.

The puck is going up the ice and the hit happens behind the play and probably off camera. It's not like anyone could have missed that right? lets blame it on his age :shakehead

He makes mistakes and corrects them, big effing deal. He's STILL one of the best ever.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
The puck is going up the ice and the hit happens behind the play and probably off camera. It's not like anyone could have missed that right? lets blame it on his age :shakehead

He makes mistakes and corrects them, big effing deal. He's STILL one of the best ever.

It wasn't off camera.

If you're just following the puck when you watch hockey, you're missing 90% of the game. That's why that FoxTrax thing was so stupid. Missing a hit of that magnitude as a play-by-play guy is inexcusable.

Don't care about his history with the team or where he ranks among broadcasters all-time. He's not even remotely passable any longer.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
It wasn't off camera.

If you're just following the puck when you watch hockey, you're missing 90% of the game. That's why that FoxTrax thing was so stupid. Missing a hit of that magnitude as a play-by-play guy is inexcusable.

Don't care about his history with the team or where he ranks among broadcasters all-time. He's not even remotely passable any longer.

You're joking right? He called it a few seconds after it happened. What hockey have you watched in the past? Most of the announcing around the league is complete garbage, Sam isn't senile yet, but if he was it would still be an upgrade over probably 20 of the teams.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We score opening goal that looks like 80s Oilers. NYR take bad PP late in first. Hank makes two ridiculous save, third shot squeaks by him, Fla ties game. I make home made peanut butter cups between periods. Excellent decision. Fla goes up 2-1 midway thru 2nd, Dorsett wills a goal shortly thereafter, period ends 2-2. I eat more peanut butter cups between periods. Richards puts a gorgeous shot in early in the third, making up for him missing the entire net earlier from 2 feet away. NYR get a PP moments later, MZA buries a nice shot. PP looks very good. Gf calls and FL scores to bring the game to 4-3. I tell gf she is bad luck and get off phone. Rangers win 4-3. Upshall sexually assaulted twice and shopping for an engagement ring since two Rangers made him their *****.

High five! ;)

Last edited:

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I wouldn't necessarly say it was dumb of kreider to do what he did.

personally, I think he just tried to shove upshall and send a mesasge to get the hell off stepan (who took a ridiculous amount of abuse and got no call right before) but upshall fell like a stack of cards so it looks like kreider trucked him.

It was dumb, incredibly dumb accually. Doesn't matter how fed up you are with someone you just can't do something like that with less than two minutes on the clock on a one goal lead.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
You're joking right? He called it a few seconds after it happened. What hockey have you watched in the past? Most of the announcing around the league is complete garbage, Sam isn't senile yet, but if he was it would still be an upgrade over probably 20 of the teams.

Hit happens at :04, and Sam doesn't mention it until :12, after Micheletti, the ****ing color guy, has to interject and do Sam's job for him. That is not how you call any sporting event. Period.

Most of the announcing around the league is complete garbage, Sam isn't senile yet, but if he was it would still be an upgrade over probably 20 of the teams.
jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
It wasn't off camera.

I guess i will reply to this the same way you reply to others.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

Guy is a legend and 10000 times better than any of the garbage announcers this league has. Very few can hold a candle to him even at "this stage" of his announcing.

and if you think history means nothing of an announcer that's been with the team for what over 20+ years? Than There's just no point in discussing this any further.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Guy is a legend and 10000 times better than any of the garbage announcers this league has. Very few can hold a candle to him even at "this stage" of his announcing.
Care to expand on your reasoning here, or are you just going to stomp your feet and petulantly declare that because you actually believe that, it's therefore correct?

and if you think history means nothing of an announcer that's been with the team for what over 20+ years? Than There's just no point in discussing this any further.
Objectively speaking, it has no bearing whatsoever on his current abilities as a PBP man.

You haven't been interested in actually discussing this at all. Instead, you just feign outrage that somebody would dare criticize the great Sam Rosen. So, forgive the sarcastic gifs...I tend to get marginally frustrated when somebody objects to an assertion I've made without any real counter-argument sans yelling their opinion as loudly as possible.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Morbid analogy here but I see it fit. Retiring Sam is like putting down a pet. The time is closing in and its not living to the fullest anymore. There's sentimental value in Sam. It will take another 20 years with another lovable PBP guy in order to reach Sam's place in NYR PBP history. However, I do think it's time for Sam to retire from doing PBP. He can stay on and do a wide range of stuff that's usually covered by the others guys and even join in on the panel with a thought or two.

His ability to pay attention to the details of the game is not where it needs to be, at all. I find myself doing PBP out loud at least 5 times a period because Sam isn't highlighting a lot of the stuff that goes on that's of importance. Sometimes, when a play is developing from the neutral zone or a skilled forward is clearly trying to make a play or take the puck to a specific spot in order to take defenders with him, Sam doesn't catch on until the passes or the exciting sequence is already half way to happening.

Good old Uncle Sam is becoming a second brew of tea leaves lacking in flavor and color. He's behind on a lot of stuff and doesn't get the depth on some stuff too. It's not easy to do PBP, for sure. With his experience, he does so many things well that PBP around the league may miss. He's likable and very vanilla. He's not obnoxious, biased, rude, or an ass. Those four things sums up what's wrong with at least 25% of PBP guys around the league.

Above all, he's a lovable guy. It's hard to imagine a Rangers fan not liking Sam Rosen as a person. On that basis, he's certainly preferred by Rangers fans over at least 75% of the PBP guys around the league.

If we can find a likable guy however, I think it's a good time to start having him train with Sam to pick up on what Sam has to offer and slowly transition Sam into something else.

I watch the Canucks and their PBP guy is pretty great all around. One of my favorites in fact. The difference in how I'm able to understand the ongoing game is pretty noticeable between Canucks PBP guy and Sam. A part of that also is that Sam has gotten lazy. A lot of the time, he can add a few extra PBP in there. In fact, filling that gap and constructing a fluent narrative of the game is really important. Sam talks way too much about god knows what and remains conversational for way too long.

It's becoming a lot more like having a cup of tea with Sam and Joe now. If we weren't an average team that's battling for the playoffs, I'd break out a box of tea biscuits during games.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I believe Johnny G did PBP a few years ago and I thought he did fine except for how high his voice was and the hurried tone of his voice. Johnny G does those post game wrap ups where he delivers a semi-speech and he's really articulate and well spoken. If he can work on his PBP, he wouldn't be too bad.

Al can take care of the rink side stuff, basically doing Johnny G's job and Sam can take over for Al during intermissions and post games directing the conversation between Dave and Ron.

Lord knows Al has been way too awkward during those post games and intermission interviews.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Re Sam and John M., I like Sam. I think John is a good craftmen, but hardly a favorite.

From my point of view, the "Sam" never has any upside. If they contribute with something, you -- will -- grow tired of them. Sam just jokes around, since he has been around along time I am just used to him. Sam is definitely the optimal guy in his role for me. Also, I can only speak for my self but I take the game too serious when watching. The last thing I need is a guy on TV that intends to get me agitated by complaining on calls and what not. Sam is a very good fit there too... ;)

I think there are very few guys in John M's role that contributes with anything really. When they do, its often for a short period of time. I probably prefer someone that has been around alot, and can repeat all the same cliches forever, over a guy like John who kinda trys to be an expert, and play it simple at the same time. I don't dislike him really, because he is just not that often wrong. I would prefer like the guy who coached in the NHL 2-3 years ago, and like a rolling scheme of experts, but we could be worse off than John.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
All I know is, I wanted to slap someone when Sam was talking and joking about a 30 year old trivia question when Henrik made a huge save to bail on the defensemen on a d-zone breakdown in one of the first three games.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Del Zotto played well today. Don't be a blind hater.

Not hating blindly, that pairing got dominated by Florida a few times. It may have been Moore's fault (it probably was since he was benched late in the 3rd), but I just put them on as a pairing like I did with Staal-Strålman.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I like Sam a lot. As it's a t-v broadcast, I don't need a lot of detail. He's the guy with whom I'm watching the game. I can see what's happening. So it's more important I just like the personality. And I like Sam a lot.

As for Krieder taking a penalty backing up his teammate. GREAT. I don't care if it costs a goal. Or the game, even. I would bet Stepan and the rest of the team agree. It's about time. Maybe Krieder is becoming a leader, even!

When Nash and Moore return, I'd send-down Mashinter (of course) and sit Pouliot. Pyatt stays in the skybox with him. Much prefer to have Miller to Pouliot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->