Proposal: Florida gets out of the Bob Contract while Landing the Big Fish

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
And they are right. You are wrong unless the Sabres GM/ownership is an idiot...
That package even without Bob is bad. With Bob its insulting...
If the offers are not good enough this offseason, trading him would be foolish. There is no need to do that when he has 5 years left on his contract.
Tell him he needs to stop fighting with the doctors, get healthy and prove his value if he ever wants to get a trade.

Trading Eichel for a couple of non elite prospects that haven't proven themselves yet is a recipe for disaster and could kill that franchise. They better make sure they know what they are doing.
ROR 2.0 can't happen or things might completely spiral out of control in Buffalo...

when a player says to the media what Eichel just said... you trade him. You can't have a player around the dressing room that is now the cancer in the room. which is why they are always traded after saying that

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Sure but bob will be gone one way or another after only 2 years into a new Barkov deal. And who knows, maybe zito finds a way to get rid of him sooner. If he wants to sign somewhere else it’d be for other reasons, not because of bob

Its 2 prime years of his career and as we all know NHL careers can be short. You are asking a lot of Barkov to just overlook one of if not the worst contracts in the NHL. Plus a buyout would be ugly for 6 years. So 8 years of facing a disadvantage? Not good.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Huh? 6yrs buying out of who? Bob? He’s got 5yrs left and will be down to 4yrs left once Barkov gets on his new deal. If that’s what you meant?

He has 5 years left. If he plays 2 more he has 3 left. A buyout would be spread over 6 years. Not ideal to have a cap penalty for 6 years. Thats a long time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He has 5 years left. If he plays 2 more he has 3 left. A buyout would be spread over 6 years. Not ideal to have a cap penalty for 6 years. Thats a long time.
Knight burned an elc year this season. Expect him to be full time to start in the A. Whether he follows hart and earns a full time call up next season we shall see. 22-23 expect him to backup in the nhl. Thus with little nhl games he likely signs a 2 year deal under $1.5 mill per to see if he can win the starters role.

so, if Fla can roll with a cheap backup next season they should still have Knight at a low cap hit for 3 seasons after that.
No team is acquiring a bad goalie contract. Can’t hide that down the lineup.

Reactions: Flan the incredible

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Ok I see what you mean now. But we wouldn’t buy him out either way. We’ll wait till he’s down to those last two years because it’s way easier at that stage, or in a season or two if zito can convince him to waive and offer enough incentives to take him

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The idea of this is Flordia uses the market to get rid of the worst contract in the NHL to land the biggest prize on the Market in Jack Eichel as they have a similar contract. Now obviously Bob has to waive. Which I’m sure he would with threats of being sent to the press box maybe a friend of the owner “donates” x millions to his family if he moves to Buffalo. Anyway...Excuse my spelling of foreign names.

Florida: Sergei Bobrovsky, Grigori Denisenko, Owen Tippet, Anton Lundell, 1st 2021 and 1st 2022

Buffalo: Jack Eichel

Florida replaces a terrible Bobrovsky contract with a franchise C to compete with Barkov and Buffalo gets the best package available for a player who wants out.

who declines?
Just curious, what do you consider "foreign names"? Good old USA for example has had pretty diverse influx since Mayflower.

(And I'd consider "Flordia" somewhat foreign so maybe add one more edit, haha.)

Bobs has had a bad year, but do we know for sure it gets repeated next year? Elite goalies are by nature fruitcake headcases, I'll give it another season before I call it a sample.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The idea of this is Flordia uses the market to get rid of the worst contract in the NHL to land the biggest prize on the Market in Jack Eichel as they have a similar contract. Now obviously Bob has to waive. Which I’m sure he would with threats of being sent to the press box maybe a friend of the owner “donates” x millions to his family if he moves to Buffalo. Anyway...Excuse my spelling of foreign names.

Florida: Sergei Bobrovsky, Grigori Denisenko, Owen Tippet, Anton Lundell, 1st 2021 and 1st 2022

Buffalo: Jack Eichel

Florida replaces a terrible Bobrovsky contract with a franchise C to compete with Barkov and Buffalo gets the best package available for a player who wants out.

who declines?
The Sabres decline. You had the value of Eichel with Denisenko, Tippit, Lundell and the 2 1sts and then cratered it with Bob.

Just do Skinner for Bob and call it a day. Florida takes longer term for less signing bonus and lower AAV.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Ok I see what you mean now. But we wouldn’t buy him out either way. We’ll wait till he’s down to those last two years because it’s way easier at that stage, or in a season or two if zito can convince him to waive and offer enough incentives to take him

Getting him to waive is half the problem. What would it cost to get rid of his 10 mill cap hit for those 2 years? The answer is a lot. Doubt Florida would pay that price.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Knight burned an elc year this season. Expect him to be full time to start in the A. Whether he follows hart and earns a full time call up next season we shall see. 22-23 expect him to backup in the nhl. Thus with little nhl games he likely signs a 2 year deal under $1.5 mill per to see if he can win the starters role.

so, if Fla can roll with a cheap backup next season they should still have Knight at a low cap hit for 3 seasons after that.
No team is acquiring a bad goalie contract. Can’t hide that down the lineup.

That's a heck of a gamble for Barkov to take.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Getting him to waive is half the problem. What would it cost to get rid of his 10 mill cap hit for those 2 years? The answer is a lot. Doubt Florida would pay that price.
His Nmc turns into a 16-team no trade clause. And his signing bonus drops to 1.5mil then 1.0mil in those last two years. 5mil in actual salary for both years. That’s why I think it’d be easier in those two years to move him. Definitely won’t be easy or cheap to deal him, but I’m sure zito will come up with a way

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
His Nmc turns into a 16-team no trade clause. And his signing bonus drops to 1.5mil then 1.0mil in those last two years. 5mil in actual salary for both years. That’s why I think it’d be easier in those two years to move him. Definitely won’t be easy or cheap to deal him, but I’m sure zito will come up with a way

So if Florida pays the first signing bonus the acquiring team will be on the hook for 11 mill real cash for 2 years. That would be a big pill to swallow cash wise let along the 10 mill cap hit for 2 years for a 36 yr old goalie. I guess anything is possible

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
I don't care if you add McDavid. I'm not taking on a 10 mil AHL backup goalie and cripple my ability to compete for the next 6 years.

...Like... how would Buffalo even go about signing these prospects? Fairly insulting offer. You're stuck with Bob. Deal with it.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
You guys are severely overestimating florida’s problem in net. Knight is on ELC still and otherwise the Panthers have some cheap options to offset the Bobproblem.

Why Florida would go and trade like 5 first round picks (with Huberdeau and Barkov pending FA) is beyond me. Sure fire way to guarantee that you have cap issues is to shed zero cap in this trade whilst trading away every cost controlled high end talent the Panthers own or will own.

Also, if either or Barkov or Huberdeau leave, this team has no future on the books. There’s absolutely no way whatsoever that Florida does this trade. It’s asking to... become the Buffalo Sabres.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don't care if you add McDavid. I'm not taking on a 10 mil AHL backup goalie and cripple my ability to compete for the next 6 years.

...Like... how would Buffalo even go about signing these prospects? Fairly insulting offer. You're stuck with Bob. Deal with it.
Bit ironic you call Bob an AHL player at his salary when you have Jeff Skinner. The sabres and competing is also hilarious. And yes you would take Mcdavid. Settle down.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really don't see Bob ever getting traded. He wanted Florida for very clear reasons. On top of that I don't see who would want him.

Maybe if there was a Lucic-Neal like deal, but then the team would need to make sense for Bob.

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
Bobs has had a bad year, but do we know for sure it gets repeated next year? Elite goalies are by nature fruitcake headcases, I'll give it another season before I call it a sample.
He also had a bad year the previous year. He just doesn’t fit in FL for whatever reason... or he’s cooked. Either way, I would love to see him go away sooner than later.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Grigori Denisenko, Owen Tippet, Anton Lundell, 1st 2021 and 1st 2022 is a pretty incredible package for Eichel. That is 3 Blue chip prospect and 2 first round picks!

In my opinion, Sabres need to trade their core and rebuilt with other players. Trade Risto and Reinhart for picks and some stud D prospects and they can end up with by far the best prospect pool in the NHL.

In this context, Sabres would have plenty of cap space, so Bob's contract is not a problem and by the time they can be contenders, in about 4-5 years, Bob contract will be over.

Sabres should accept this

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Grigori Denisenko, Owen Tippet, Anton Lundell, 1st 2021 and 1st 2022 is a pretty incredible package for Eichel. That is 3 Blue chip prospect and 2 first round picks!

In my opinion, Sabres need to trade their core and rebuilt with other players. Trade Risto and Reinhart for picks and some stud D prospects and they can end up with by far the best prospect pool in the NHL.

In this context, Sabres would have plenty of cap space, so Bob's contract is not a problem and by the time they can be contenders, in about 4-5 years, Bob contract will be over.

Sabres should accept this
FL would never do this

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Yes, I can hear this conversation right now.

The scene: Sergei Bobrovsky, sitting in a lawn chair somewhere on Miami beach, summer 2021. His cell rings.
Bob: Da? Hello?
Zito: Hey Bob, exciting year huh? Nearly won the division, won a ton of games, really exciting playoff year, eh? Eh?
Bob: ... Why you call me Zito, I tell you not to call when I have my private time
Zito: Yeah, yeah. Anyway, we'd like you to waive your NMC. You know, it'll be great.
Bob: ...?
Zito: Right, instead of chilling out in Miami, we want to send you to the frozen armpit that is Buffalo, NY.
Bob: ...!
Zito: ...where you'll lose 80% of your games and never even sniff the playoffs.
Bob: :mad:
Zito: ... and you'll pay literally million, I mean MILLIONS of dollars in extra taxes, baby!
Bob: :eek:
Zito:... oh and, um, we'll be trading you for the only player worth a fecal deposit on their roster while we're at it. WHADDYA SAY BABEEEE

Reactions: peterbiz09

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad