Proposal: Florida gets out of the Bob Contract while Landing the Big Fish

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You have no idea how good those 3 prospects are clearly

Yeah because trading a 25 year old top10 center in the league (who was a top5 Center 12 months ago IMO) for completely unproven prospects and Owen Tippett is a great idea...

And yeah I am comparatively low on all three of the pieces. Especially Tippett. Lundell to me doesn't have realistic #1 potential and Denisenko is decent but also far from a lock to turn into a great player. Thats not a package the Sabres should accept for their franchise player. Especially if it somehow involves them taking on the abomination that is Bobrovskys contract...#

Also I am a somewhat neutral fan and think its horrible...

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Yes, that’s the definition of tampering.
Is it? Technically Florida wouldn’t be doing anything wrong legally. I’m sure there are loop holes around tampering to pay a player to leave. Maybe shares of the panthers franchise or gifting real estate?

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Yeah because trading a 25 year old top10 center in the league (who was a top5 Center 12 months ago IMO) for completely unproven prospects and Owen Tippett is a great idea...

And yeah I am comparatively low on all three of the pieces. Especially Tippett. Lundell to me doesn't have realistic #1 potential and Denisenko is decent but also far from a lock to turn into a great player. Thats not a package the Sabres should accept for their franchise player. Especially if it somehow involves them taking on the abomination that is Bobrovskys contract...
The panthers don’t have to offer an amazing package all they have to do is offer a package better then anyone else. Not trading him just makes the franchise look bad and decreases his value even more.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Is it? Technically Florida wouldn’t be doing anything wrong legally. I’m sure there are loop holes around tampering to pay a player to leave. Maybe shares of the panthers franchise or gifting real estate?

This isn't allowed in any sports

Same thing was promised to Kevin Garnett, Minnesota Timberwolves player

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014

And yeah I am comparatively low on all three of the pieces. Especially Tippett. Lundell to me doesn't have realistic #1 potential and Denisenko is decent but also far from a lock to turn into a great player. Thats not a package the Sabres should accept for their franchise player. Especially if it somehow involves them taking on the abomination that is Bobrovskys contract...

I mean Lundell had 25 points(16 goals) in 26 games in a very good mens league as a teenager if that does not scream potential im not sure what will.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The panthers don’t have to offer an amazing package all they have to do is offer a package better then anyone else. Not trading him just makes the franchise look bad and decreases his value even more.

Thats a very wrong take IMO...

I mean I remember people making that horrible argument when Sakic refused to trade Duchene earlier...
Safe to say he made those people look really stupid...

Eichel is not even 25 and has 5 more years left on his deal. He is stuck in Buffalo whether he likes it or not. The dumbest thing Buffalo could do is repeat the ROR mistake and trade him for a crappy return at his lowest point of value.
If the offers are as bad as people like you and others believe, sit him down, tell him that the offers for him are not acceptable and that he has to prove these teams wrong, stay healthy and have a bounce back season if he wants out of Buffalo. If he does that and the team is still going nowhere and he still wants out, he then can get his trade if the return is there.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Thats a very wrong take IMO...

I mean I remember people making that horrible argument when Sakic refused to trade Duchene earlier...
Safe to say he made those people look really stupid...

Eichel is not even 25 and has 5 more years left on his deal. He is stuck in Buffalo whether he likes it or not. The dumbest thing Buffalo could do is repeat the ROR mistake and trade him for a crappy return at his lowest point of value.
If the offers are as bad as people like you and others believe, sit him down, tell him that the offers for him are not acceptable and that he has to prove these teams wrong, stay healthy and have a bounce back season if he wants out of Buffalo. If he does that and the team is still going nowhere and he still wants out, he then can get his trade if the return is there.
I agree with this but I disagree with him getting a lot more value then the OP. I think that offer is only a few shades under Lindros’s return. Maybe Lundell is the Finnish Forsburg in a metaphorical sense.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I agree with this but I disagree with him getting a lot more value then the OP. I think that offer is only a few shades under Lindros’s return. Maybe Lundell is the Finnish Forsburg in a metaphorical sense.

And maybe he will be worse than Puljujarvi in the NHL (unlikely but lets not act like his almost PPG pace as a very old draft year +1 player makes him some sort of lock to develop into a star player. Realistically I expect Lundell to turn into a good but not great player)...
If I am Buffalo, I am not gambling on pieces like that. That is way too risky.
If thats the best you can get, you don't trade him..

The Lindros return is not comparable to this at all.
Lundell is nowhere near what Forsberg was back when the trade happened. Not to mention that the other pieces also don't stack up at all...

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
And maybe he will be worse than Puljujarvi in the NHL (unlikely but lets not act like his almost PPG pace as a very old draft year +1 player makes him some sort of lock to develop into a star player. Realistically I expect Lundell to turn into a good but not great player)...
If I am Buffalo, I am not gambling on pieces like that. That is way too risky.
If thats the best you can get, you don't trade him..

The Lindros return is not comparable to this at all.
Lundell is nowhere near what Forsberg was back when the trade happened. Not to mention that the other pieces also don't stack up at all...
I see 2 players that would potentially be what you’re talking about. Byfield and Lafranier. Maybe Kakko

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I see 2 players that would potentially be what you’re talking about. Byfield and Lafranier. Maybe Kakko

There are a few more but yeah thats what I expect. Not necessarily Byfield but Turcotte+ Vilardi+++ for example...

I am not all that high on Kakko right now but if the Rangers add Lundkvist and a few other high value pieces, it could make some semblance of sense...

Very high picks in this years draft also will probably be on the table I would assume. I also expect other teams to be in the mix offering young quality NHL players (Flyers have a few. Maybe Calgary? Not sure if CBJ would offer Werenski+ but thats probably what they would have to trade if they want to be in the mix depending on the direction they want to go this summer and with Jones..)

I fully expect this to be the biggest haul we have seen any player return over the last 10-15 years at the very least. If Buffalo doesn't get that, they better don't trade him....

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
There are a few more but yeah thats what I expect. Not necessarily Byfield but Turcotte+ Vilardi+++ for example...

I am not all that high on Kakko right now but if the Rangers add Lundkvist and a few other high value pieces, it could make some semblance of sense...

Very high picks in this years draft also will probably be on the table I would assume. I also expect other teams to be in the mix offering young quality NHL players (Flyers have a few. Maybe Calgary? Not sure if CBJ would offer Werenski+ but thats probably what they would have to trade if they want to be in the mix depending on the direction they want to go this summer and with Jones..)

I fully expect this to be the biggest haul we have seen any player return over the last 10-15 years at the very least. If Buffalo doesn't get that, they better don't trade him....
Werenski will be in Detroit as soon as his contract expires so that makes no sense. Lundell>Vilardi/Turcotte imo I also don’t see Calgary realistically getting Eichel they have Andersson, Valamaki, Pelletier and Zary those are the 4

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
So, Bob, a guy that moved to the Panthers in part because its South Florida where there is a large Russian community with many current and former NHL players is going to waive that live in Buffalo? How dumb do you think we are?
Like I said money under the table would be involved. 10s of millions potentially.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
And they are right. You are wrong unless the Sabres GM/ownership is an idiot... That package even without Bob is bad. With Bob its insulting...
If the offers are not good enough this offseason, trading him would be foolish. There is no need to do that when he has 5 years left on his contract. Tell him he needs to stop fighting with the doctors, get healthy and prove his value if he ever wants to get a trade. Trading Eichel for a couple of non elite prospects that haven't proven themselves yet is a recipe for disaster and could kill that franchise. They better make sure they know what they are doing. ROR 2.0 can't happen or things might completely spiral out of control in Buffalo...

i understand the thinking and the expectation,
but watching this league closely for way too long,
i also know teams hardly ever get back what they believe they should in high profile 'superstar' deals.
Sens got really lucky when Sharks bottomed out with their 1st in Ottawa's hands.

Eichel's injury and Cap Hit also create challenges for acquiring team,
and that high anticipated acquisition cost, however high, as well may discourage some teams.

BUT it only takes one buyer, maybe it works out better for Buffalo.

Although I believe they should keep him, and have it work out that way.

(and, full disclosure, as NYR fan, i don't want my team gutting prospect pipeline to assume that Cap Hit, with the other contracts we have, and must sign. No slight vs Eichel. NYR can fill their center need with lesser guy at way less cost and risk)

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
You can get anyone to waive. Would it be considered tampering if let’s say Florida payed lets say a fashion company let’s say 50 million dollars to set up a Buffalo Sabres themed photo shoot that’d pay him 40 million?
Yeah not from one of the best teams in the league this year Florida, For the worst team in the league in Buffalo. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Gee leave No States income tax Florida with warm year around weather. For high taxed New York with brutal winters in Buffalo. Gee who wouldn't want that. :sarcasm:
Personally I hate warm weather I find the summers in Alberta way to hot even. I’m eastern Canadian and he’s Russian I’m assuming he’s like me. But anyway as I said maybe the panthers give him a duffel bag with 50 million to get him to waive. If that’s me I take the duffel bag and retire.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

And yeah I am comparatively low on all three of the pieces. Especially Tippett. Lundell to me doesn't have realistic #1 potential and Denisenko is decent but also far from a lock to turn into a great player. Thats not a package the Sabres should accept for their franchise player. Especially if it somehow involves them taking on the abomination that is Bobrovskys contract...#

Also I am a somewhat neutral fan and think its horrible...

People have really got to stop saying stuff like this. Off the top of my head, I can name five+ centers who are better than Eichel last year: McDavid, Draisaitl, Crosby, MacKinnon, Marchand, and Matthews. That's six who are clearly above Eichel, there's probably a couple I'm forgetting, and that's not even getting into the large group of players who are in the debate with Eichel for that 7th spot, like Stamkos, Barkov, Point, Giroux, Malkin, Kopitar, Barzal, Tavares, Marner, etc. Eichel last year was in the debate as a top 10 center, but anyone looking at it realistically can see he's fighting for spot 10. He's more accurately described as the 10th or 11th best center in the league with a consistent and ongoing set of injury concerns. At no point has he been a top 5 center, and being (barely) a 10th or 11th ranked center doesn't really mean much when A- you cost 10 mil against the cap and B-miss a huge chunk of games every year.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Buffalo should take that. Florida should consider it. I'm sure fans of both sides will balk at it. The real problem though is that Bobrovsky will never waive.

The only trade featuring these teams including bad contracts would be Bob for Skinner.

JE for Bob and 2 1st’s is funny.

You miss or just ignore Denisenko, Tippett, and Lundell? They're very valuable prospects. It's more like 5 1sts + Bob for Eichel.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
People have really got to stop saying stuff like this. Off the top of my head, I can name five+ centers who are better than Eichel last year: McDavid, Draisaitl, Crosby, MacKinnon, Marchand, and Matthews. That's six who are clearly above Eichel, there's probably a couple I'm forgetting, and that's not even getting into the large group of players who are in the debate with Eichel for that 7th spot, like Stamkos, Barkov, Point, Giroux, Malkin, Kopitar, Barzal, Tavares, Marner, etc. Eichel last year was in the debate as a top 10 center, but anyone looking at it realistically can see he's fighting for spot 10. He's more accurately described as the 10th or 11th best center in the league with a consistent and ongoing set of injury concerns. At no point has he been a top 5 center, and being (barely) a 10th or 11th ranked center doesn't really mean much when A- you cost 10 mil against the cap and B-miss a huge chunk of games every year.
Huh? At least Stamkos and Giroux were once centres, even if they mostly play wing now. Marchand and Marner are undeniably pure wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad