GDT: Florence vs Carolina

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
For I have seen that lo, on the 3rd day of the most recent troubles, Dave, clad in white linen robes shall descend from the heavens upon a giant pretzel, and take the believers to safety in Beervana while casting the doubters and macrobrew fans into a lake of fiery beer cheese.
I mean, as long as he leaves that giant pretzel behind I'm actually ok with this!

They are saying its going to staal on the coast a bit too so they are just gonna get pounded. Leave your house behind, thats what you have insurance for its not worth your life.
It's going to become a lazy floater? :sarcasm:

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
My in-laws have a house on the SC coast, and their area got leveled when Matthew hit. They were very fortunate, but still had about 6k worth of damage to their house. They have Hurricane insurance, but the deductable is 20k so it covered nothing. It's basically there in case your house gets demolished, or sustains major damage. Their home owners policy did not cover the damage because it was due to a named storm. So, out of pocket was their only choice. I think they've since adjusted all of that in case that happens again, but now pay more per month. It's a racket.
Good grief. This is part of the reason ive held back on buying a beach property i have nightmares of issues like that.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I didn't want to say anything but even raynman in New Bern is risking a whole hell of a lot by trying to ride out the storm. I know the storm made a fortuitous turn last night but man, New Bern is way out there and super susceptible to flooding. it's hard for me to judge peoples' actions but it definitely feels like a very, very bad choice. staying in Wilmington is tremendously stupid. so stupid I'm getting worked up typing this. between the intercoastal waterway, the Cape Fear river, and the coast, there's so many opportunities for Serious **** Flooding. nevermind the wind blowing your house down. your whole **** is going to be underwater and you'll be Katrina'd for weeks if you're not careful. thousands died in Katrina, and it wasn't from tree limbs either. ok I have to stop typing now.
Yeah. The guy I'm talking about lives in an apartment on third floor. His mom has a second floor apartment in the same complex. They could easily get stranded by floodwaters even if the building survives the wind onslaught.

Plus hurricanes are known to hide tornadoes in them as well.

I just can't believe he is being this dumb.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Interesting regarding hurricane-specific house coverage. During Matthew, a tree hit our house and I didn't get any grief about that claim. I wonder if it's more of a coastal-area exclusion.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Interesting regarding hurricane-specific house coverage. During Matthew, a tree hit our house and I didn't get any grief about that claim. I wonder if it's more of a coastal-area exclusion.

Yeah, I've never heard of that either so maybe it's a coastal thing. I've never lived on a coast, but in the 4 different homes I've owned in 3 different states, I've never seen a homeowners policy that doesn't cover things like wind and tree damage or even rain if the wind/tree caused a hole in the roof regardless if it was due to a hurricane, storm, tornado, etc... Floods though are a different situation and aren't covered by normal homeowners policies, regardless of the cause of the flood.

Edit: Yeah, looks like that's it. A quick search said that some states require "Windstorm" insurance in Hurricane prone areas. It matches what Faulker27 said.

In most states, standard homeowners policies cover damage caused by wind, including hurricanes. But if you live in a high-risk coastal state, you might need to buy separate windstorm insurance, either through your insurance company or a state-run insurance pool. It might also be available as a rider on your current policy. Windstorm insurance covers damage from any high wind, not just hurricanes.

To limit their financial risk in 19 coastal states and the District of Columbia, some insurers impose a separate hurricane and/or windstorm deductible. A deductible is the amount subtracted from your insurance claim check for a property loss.

Home insurance deductibles are often a flat dollar amount, such as $1,000, while windstorm deductibles are typically a percentage of your home’s insured value. They usually range from 1% to 5%, though they can be higher in high-risk coastal areas. If your home is insured for $500,000 and you have a 5% wind deductible, $25,000 will be deducted from your payment if you file a claim.

Last edited:

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Yeah, I've never heard of that either so maybe it's a coastal thing. I've never lived on a coast, but in the 4 different homes I've owned in 3 different states, I've never seen a homeowners policy that doesn't cover things like wind and tree damage or even rain if the wind/tree caused a hole in the roof regardless if it was due to a hurricane, storm, tornado, etc... Floods though are a different situation and aren't covered by normal homeowners policies, regardless of the cause of the flood.

Edit: Yeah, looks like that's it. A quick search said that some states require "Windstorm" insurance in Hurricane prone areas. It matches what Faulker27 said.

It was an eye opener for them as well. They had the hurricane insurance separate (or maybe it was additional deductible?) can't remember, but I specifically remember them saying because it was a "named storm" it was somehow void of coverage from their usual home owners. All this due to being in a high risk coastal area, as you found in that article.

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
My area is kind of up hill, Kings and Crowders Mountains have always done a good job of diverting high winds around us. (I gave away more of where I live...)

My MIL has a good generator, city water has back up power, and my stove and water heater are gas. So I can cook and have water. I had all my trees removed a few years ago (60’ pines) so that isn’t a concern. Being 1 mile from the sub station that feeds power to us also helps.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My house is right at the bottom of the neighborhood next to a creek. Thank full the house sits about 5 feet up from street level, but I'm still worried. I also have some larger oak and maple trees on a hill behind my house. Luckily I'm in Greensboro and not closer to the coast.

Tree's are my concern. I have 3-4 huge oaks and an monster Hickory tree all within striking distance of the house.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
1C7B0D25-613D-4785-90A6-DF63A884264A.jpeg

@Epsilon

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
My office in RTP is closed tomorrow and Friday... I mean, I get being cautious, Friday sure, but tomorrow?

They're giving you time to put the sandbags up. I have a friend who lives on the Haw river. He is scared. I would also be scared if my house was on the Eno. Some houses are very close to the river.

Reactions: DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
We’re going to ride it out in New Bern, should be interesting. Not too worried about flooding but I really don’t want to wake up spooning a pine tree. Anticipating not having power for a while.

You may want to reconsider that- I was looking at a map earlier today that showed New Bern in the 9ft+ storm surge range. You're gonna get the coastal water pushing up while all the rain that falls inland will be flowing down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad