Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I think it was longer than that. I wouldnt have done that ride myself, but I enjoyed hearing about the moose on the highway, the snow storms, the eateries they stopped at, the card games taking place, and the bus breaking down. I am kind of strange like that.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
They were a touch lucky to get out of that one. That was a rough 2nd period. Refs didn't help. Missing Vierling and Gretz doesn't help either. Byfield helped. Not a good night for him. That's not gonna happen often. They're gonna be mad going into Saginaw. Flint improved on the PP and PK though. Wellwood had a good plan to shut down Byfield and it was about as effective as you could hope, unfortunately Blake Murray is a monster too. Popovich was lights out. Lalonde has been fabulous and was tonight too. He misjudged his gap management on Byfield twice but he was huge. So was the rest of the D. Wismer has been fighting his way back up the lineup and I was thrilled to see him reunited with Keppen and Morgan. Another big one tomorrow.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
They were a touch lucky to get out of that one. That was a rough 2nd period. Refs didn't help. Missing Vierling and Gretz doesn't help either. Byfield helped. Not a good night for him. That's not gonna happen often. They're gonna be mad going into Saginaw. Flint improved on the PP and PK though. Wellwood had a good plan to shut down Byfield and it was about as effective as you could hope, unfortunately Blake Murray is a monster too. Popovich was lights out. Lalonde has been fabulous and was tonight too. He misjudged his gap management on Byfield twice but he was huge. So was the rest of the D. Wismer has been fighting his way back up the lineup and I was thrilled to see him reunited with Keppen and Morgan. Another big one tomorrow.

Refs were pretty bad. Hastings the linesmen has to be the worst one in the league. He was awful all night long. Popovich stood on his head and stole that one.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Missing Vierling I agree, Gretz has pretty much been off with injuries more then he’s played (and not just this year either).

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
It is easy to forget about Gretz with the numerous injuries. Probably for the scouts too. Great size. I wonder, and may keep wondering what kind of player he would be if ever healthy for a full year.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
A healthy Marcus Gretz on the 3rd pairing would be big. Harper and Deline have played very well for 17yo rookies and I don't worry much when they're out there. Lalonde and Harper are bit gritty and Busby has been stepping up laying the body a bit more this year with a few really nice hits but nobody on the blue line offers the size and toughness of Gretz. I really hope things are short term for both as it's their draft year. Owen Power would be nice too. With him not being here this year I think chances of him ever wearing a Firebirds jersey are slim and wasting last year's 2nd round pick hurts. Didn't they trade UP to pick him too? I thought Ty played his best complete game last night and did well to negate Byfield as much as possible. The Keppen-Morgan-Wismer line immediately started creating chaos when out there too. I'd really like to see them together again tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gensdef

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
A healthy Marcus Gretz on the 3rd pairing would be big. Harper and Deline have played very well for 17yo rookies and I don't worry much when their out there. Lalonde and Harper are bit gritty and Busby has been stepping up laying the body a bit more this year with a few really nice hits but nobody on the blue line offers the size and toughness of Gretz. I really hope things are short term for both as it's their draft year. Owen Power would be nice too. With him not being here this year I think chances of him ever wearing a Firebirds jersey are slim and wasting last year's 2nd round pick hurts. Didn't they trade UP to pick him too? I thought Ty played his best complete game last night and did well to negate Byfield as much as possible. The Keppen-Morgan-Wismer line immediately started creating chaos when out there too. I'd really like to see them together again tonight.

London took Stranges (rated 4-5) with SBY pick at 21; then Flint selected O.Power with Flint 2nd at 22, (rated 10-16).
I think it was a rare year where no teams traded down in 2nd round prior to the draft. If I recall correctly, only the wolves traded 2018-2nd at mid-season even.
It was a tough spot; if Flint passes, London gets Stranges and Power. Windsor, Saginaw, Oshawa, Kitchener were all coming up; Power was not going to escape the top half of round two. Maybe, Flint should have traded down? We shall see. He is 2021 draft eligible. He may have outgrown the USHL and not want to be buried on a NCAA depth chart as a freshman in his draft year.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
A healthy Marcus Gretz on the 3rd pairing would be big. Harper and Deline have played very well for 17yo rookies and I don't worry much when their out there. Lalonde and Harper are bit gritty and Busby has been stepping up laying the body a bit more this year with a few really nice hits but nobody on the blue line offers the size and toughness of Gretz. I really hope things are short term for both as it's their draft year. Owen Power would be nice too. With him not being here this year I think chances of him ever wearing a Firebirds jersey are slim and wasting last year's 2nd round pick hurts. Didn't they trade UP to pick him too? I thought Ty played his best complete game last night and did well to negate Byfield as much as possible. The Keppen-Morgan-Wismer line immediately started creating chaos when out there too. I'd really like to see them together again tonight.
i noticed also that Ty was all over Byfield last nite. Was real aggressive against him. One of his best defesensive games i think.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Ty's coverage on Byfield was stifling. Yes the officiating was pretty awful. Wonder if I should get a zebra shirt and go wave money at them like the Lions fans were doing last week.

Reactions: MJ5 and Gensdef

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Two great nites of goaltending. Two great nites on the PK. Equals two great wins. Way to go boys!! Way to go Cav and Poppy.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
If everyone goes and looks right now Flint is in 1st place in the western conference :thumbu: Another four game win streak as well.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
If everyone goes and looks right now Flint is in 1st place in the western conference :thumbu: Another four game win streak as well.

I got you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191026-220130_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191026-220130_Chrome.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Didn't it end in Owen Sound last time? Guess who they got up next. Let's give it another shot. I still think they're a bit from firing on all cylinders and have stuff they'll improve on. Man...it's more than just his scoring but Jack Phibbs is really trying to hold onto that OA spot. He was a big part of shutting down Byfield last night. Wins big faceoffs. Kills penalties. Finishes games when they're leading. He's tight with some KEY players too. I know there's upgrades out there but whatever you give away for them, you're giving up Jack Phibbs too.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Nice to see the solid start in Flint. The team and fans have been thru some "interesting" times since the club moved thete.
Glad to see Morgan still playing eell and contributing!

Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Anybody follow the ranked teams from the W and the Q this weekend want to take a guess on if/where the Birds land in this week’s CHL rankings? I know they’re a bit BS but any week Flint is in the rankings it’s good publicity for the team and the city if nothing else.

Reactions: jprenkert

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Should be fun to see how the season progresses and if Saginaw can match what Flint is doing right now. Would make for some fun Home and Home Games for the I-75 cup this year.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Anybody follow the ranked teams from the W and the Q this weekend want to take a guess on if/where the Birds land in this week’s CHL rankings? I know they’re a bit BS but any week Flint is in the rankings it’s good publicity for the team and the city if nothing else.
Well If you go purely by winning percentage Firebirds should pop up to 7th but I'm pretty sure that isn't likely to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad