Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Man, I’m so glad Jan Jenik didn’t report to Flint. That kid is a grade A punk. Instead they picked up a 3rd, 4th, Kolyachonok and Oksentyuk.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Did they send Giroux back down. Thought they might keep him in Flint the rest of the season.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The Koly and Kressler thing is worrying. Especially Koly. He missed games at the WJC D2 tournament, so it’s been a little bit. Watching Ty play at the WJC makes me wish more and more they wouldn’t load up to go for it this year.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Biggers has to be the worst official in this league, 2 minutes in and trying to give the wrong guy 2 minutes. Going to be a long night.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Popovich stole that game in the first. Couple huge saves.

Deserved the shutout, McCourt got caught chasing.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Popovich stole that game in the first. Couple huge saves.

Deserved the shutout, McCourt got caught chasing.
Watched the highlights on OHL site. My kid stayed at home and said they were having issues with the feed. There’s no highlight for Popovich’s diving stick save. If there’s no footage of that, he’s getting robbed of the save of the year. Nice way to return from the break for the boys but they’ve got a tough road the next few weeks. If they’re contenders they’re gonna have their chance to prove it. By the way, I loved Jack Wismer’s goal celebrations last night. I hope Wellwood keeps that line together and we’ll get to see that quite a few more times this year.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Love the packed house atmosphere and great game. Poppy was awesome. Just to bad he didnt get his shutout. He deserved it.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Watched the highlights on OHL site. My kid stayed at home and said they were having issues with the feed. There’s no highlight for Popovich’s diving stick save. If there’s no footage of that, he’s getting robbed of the save of the year. Nice way to return from the break for the boys but they’ve got a tough road the next few weeks. If they’re contenders they’re gonna have their chance to prove it. By the way, I loved Jack Wismer’s goal celebrations last night. I hope Wellwood keeps that line together and we’ll get to see that quite a few more times this year.
saw It somewhere..see if I can find it

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Hopefully Giroux is up today. No sense playing multiple games in a row down 3 guys.

If he didn't play last night, I don't think they would bring him up today unless someone else is out.

Curious to see if Cavallin is healthy enough to start today.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
We need to either get healthy or get some more bodies. The guys that are running out there are doing everything they can but are getting worn down by the end of the game and it is taking a toll.

Anyone hear anything on the trade rumors. Have heard Vierling is not coming back. Can't imagine there would be a lot coming back.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It would have been better (much better) if Vierling had never reported at all. I don’t see a lot coming in return for him if he’s this immature to screw up his draft year like this. The only possible excuse I could accept is if the org agreed to sign and keep Bianconi in order to get Vierling to sign. He should/could/would be working his way up NHL draft boards right now, instead he’s probably worked his way off them.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

Here is your Popovich highlight.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
We need to either get healthy or get some more bodies. The guys that are running out there are doing everything they can but are getting worn down by the end of the game and it is taking a toll.

Anyone hear anything on the trade rumors. Have heard Vierling is not coming back. Can't imagine there would be a lot coming back.

With at least 2.5 seasons left in the league, I expect that Vierling will still fetch a good return. There never seems to be much of a discount for 'defected' players. He could be part of a package for a big addition or dealt for several picks if the team continues to fall out of the playoff picture.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
He could be part of a package for a big addition or dealt for several picks if the team continues to fall out of the playoff picture.

Lol. Which team are you referring to? Yours or Flint? Flint is just fine. They'll get healthy, add on, and likely challenge for a top 4 seed.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
It would have been better (much better) if Vierling had never reported at all. I don’t see a lot coming in return for him if he’s this immature to screw up his draft year like this. The only possible excuse I could accept is if the org agreed to sign and keep Bianconi in order to get Vierling to sign. He should/could/would be working his way up NHL draft boards right now, instead he’s probably worked his way off them.
I agree with much of what you said. However, if I had said what you just said of a player the board would be in an uproar. Typically kids this age are immature. If they knew he wasn’t coming back, they should have traded him already. Our GM has made some good decisions this year, but waiting this long has not been one of them IMO.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Lol. Which team are you referring to? Yours or Flint? Flint is just fine. They'll get healthy, add on, and likely challenge for a top 4 seed.

The Western Conference standings are very tight and most teams can still go either way. I wasn't making predictions, just stating the range of options for a Vierling trade.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Well not actually knowing a thing about what has been happening behind the scenes I would say it might be best to wait and see how it shakes out. Pretty easy to be an armchair QB when you can just fabricate the situation to your liking in the absence of any real knowledge or details of what has or hasn't been happening.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree with much of what you said. However, if I had said what you just said of a player the board would be in an uproar. Typically kids this age are immature. If they knew he wasn’t coming back, they should have traded him already. Our GM has made some good decisions this year, but waiting this long has not been one of them IMO.

I think it was best to wait until the deadline when most teams have decided their ROS direction.
Though it’s possible that the teams that want Vierling and Vierling wants to play for don’t have the picks or player available to trade. ie. Barrie may need to move vets for picks to acquire Vierling or returning player wants to wait for end of school semester before waiving NTC

Reactions: Fischhaber

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I am very happy that Flint is in the mix this year. I hope they get healthy, add wisely, quickly right the ship, and go on to challenge for home ice in the playoffs. I don't think this is the Soo's year, as they are unlikely to make deadline additions and are still a year away from being a contender.

With the Western Conference being so close, however, every point counts in the standings. "If the team continues to fall out of the playoff picture" was an accurate assessment of one possible outcome. True, the Soo has no more points than Flint, and Flint has games in hand. But Flint's 4-6-0 record in the past 10 needs to get turned around quickly. Similarly, the Soo needs to continue it's recent success to remain in playoff contention. But the Soo's 8-1-1 record in the past 10 makes it clear that Fisch was not referring to the Soo.

Nothing Fisch said warranted the sarcastic response IMO.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Starting with yesterday's game is a stretch of 9 straight games (Windsor, at Windsor, Oshawa, London, at Saginaw, Saginaw, Windsor, at Ottawa and at Peterborough) in which Flint will be playing teams with records (points) better than the Firebirds. As tight as the Western Conference is they need to win at least six out of the nine to keep pace with the teams above them, anything less than that will keep them where they are at or even fall lower in the conference standings. It will be interesting to see as to where they stand after this 9 game stretch on January 19th.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
"If the team continues to fall out of the playoff picture" was an accurate assessment of one possible outcome.

Nothing Fisch said warranted the sarcastic response IMO.

From a purely mathematical standpoint, yes, accurate. But realistically? No. It's a silly statement and should be treated as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad