Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
That would be a shame if BB did. There are obviously way more qualified candidates from seeing some names shouted out the last couple of days. I would rather see a new and fresh voice for the players.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Stefan was rough as the Whalers coach. The fans were praying for Vellucci to return after the first quarter of the season. Thankfully he did and the Whalers made the playoffs.

I agree with Savard though. The team was doing better under Nilsen than the OHL. It always seems as if the American teams got the short end of the stick, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Branch even cares if they stick around.

One of the toughest parts with the Whalers leaving was knowing how good they would be the next 3-4 years. Having a young Moore, Caamano and Bitten. Some top draft selections as well.

It’s just unfortunate with all the circumstances that Flint hasn’t reached the potential the Whalers left them with.

It took Saginaw a bit to get going, and some would say they still haven’t. But look at Hamilton. They’re as new as Flint and already have championship experience. Really makes me wonder if Rolf didn’t push for Hakons ice time, if Gruden, bitten, Moore and Caamano would’ve had that run with the firebirds.

I honestly hope things turn around this season. And I hope that Flints able to hang onto this team, for the sake of the OHL recruiting American born players.

Remember when they wouldn’t be the “Tropics” because it would be too comical? It does seem as if the firebirds have been cursed in terms of players reporting, being able to report, and just the general nonsense that other teams have been lucky enough to avoid.

#LetsGetTropical

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
That's a good one too. I didn't think about trying to pull assistants from NCAA schools. They might be hard to get, especially if they're eyeing the HC job at that school. I think Krygier was a local high school HC for awhile before moving to the HC job at Muskegon. So was Gruden I believe before his stint at the NTDP. From HS hockey coach to NHL bench in less than a decade I believe. Not bad. If Branch does hire someone in the near future, I bet it's an OHL assistant or ex-OHL coach which is kind of a bummer because as we've pointed out, there's A LOT of coaching talent right here in Michigan. I'd like to see someone who has at least some ties to the area/State.
Correct. Krygier won a State Championship at Novi HS. Gruden was HC at Stony Creek HS in Rochester.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
If they don't want Stephan as a HC, players could rally collective together and do another deja vu like years ago! lol

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Any reputable coaching candidate is going to really have to think twice and ask themselves is it really worth coming to Flint with the past history and current status of the franchise. Are they willing to be here for just till the end of the season? They need to be assured of some security with a contract that runs past the end of this season. Is the OHL and Rolf Nilsen really sincere in saying that they want to keep this franchise in Flint and offer that security ($$$) to a potential new coach? I don't think so. My advice to any potential coaching candidate in Flint is to talk with both John Gruden and Ryan Oulahen to get their opinions as to what has been going on and is still occurring in Flint.

If the OHL decides to keep Stefan as coach this just amplifies that this franchise is not willing to commit to a long term future in Flint.

There are reasons as to why Papista, Christensen and now Oulahen are gone that has not been made public. They all chose to get on with their lives because they all saw and realize what lies ahead.

Enjoy those draft picks while you still have them along with the nepotism that stenches at the Dort.

Last edited:
Reactions: Packman and cub

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Any reputable coaching candidate is going to really have to think twice and ask themselves is it really worth coming to Flint with the past history and current status of the franchise. Are they willing to be here for just till the end of the season? They need to be assured of some security with a contract that runs past the end of this season. Is the OHL and Rolf Nilsen really sincere in saying that they want to keep this franchise in Flint and offer that security ($$$) to a potential new coach? I don't think so. My advice to any potential coaching candidate in Flint is to talk with both John Gruden and Ryan Oulahen to get their opinions as to what has been going on and is still occurring in Flint.

If the OHL decides to keep Stefan as coach this just amplifies that this franchise is not willing to commit to a long term future in Flint.

There are reasons as to why Papista, Christensen and now Oulahen are gone that has not been made public. They all chose to get on with their lives because they all saw and realize what lies ahead.

Enjoy those draft picks while you still have them along with the nepotism that stenches at the Dort.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I agree and makes sense..... one can see the pattern that is happening to this organization. Next will be players and my first guess would be Dellandrea exiting. And BB could care a less if this franchise folds, his Dad will just find him a spot somewhere else.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Agree completely. He's got history in Flint, would bring in the Generals fans and he's dual citizen of Canada & US.
I think they can do better than a guy who was a U16 assistant last year and the top of his playing career was 20 games in the ECHL. I don't know how to say it nicer but ColHL/UHL was pretty low level pro hockey. I wouldn't be against Duhart being on the bench as an assistant but they should be looking for a up and coming HC who has a name and resume that can help recruit talent.

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
I agree and makes sense..... one can see the pattern that is happening to this organization. Next will be players and my first guess would be Dellandrea exiting. And BB could care a less if this franchise folds, his Dad will just find him a spot somewhere else.
Dellandrea should be a sought after acquisition before the deadline. One more high draft pick and a first overall will make your franchize look very different next year.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
More and more top level talent is coming out of Michigan and the U.S. The OHL wants and needs at least a few successful American based franchises and Michigan would be the best place to have them based if possible.

Reactions: dirty12

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Sucks that you guys have to put up with bad management like this. I hope they sell to a stable owner and bring in a young hungry gm who can improve your team, they guy you have now is incompetent

Reactions: three dog night

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I think they can do better than a guy who was a U16 assistant last year and the top of his playing career was 20 games in the ECHL. I don't know how to say it nicer but ColHL/UHL was pretty low level pro hockey. I wouldn't be against Duhart being on the bench as an assistant but they should be looking for a up and coming HC who has a name and resume that can help recruit talent.

I am just speaking out loud but...

If i'm a coach with any kind of upside, I wouldn't even consider Flint

Just a few things.

The Positives:

Great Arena, Great fan base, and I know it has its dark areas, Flints very much a hockey city that has deserved better then this

But its going to be the 4th headcoach in 4 years, Nilsen still owns the team despite being suspended (job security is very much a concern) and the team is currently being run by the commissioners son who IMO is a terrible GM.

Just doesn't sound hot.

Now I hope I am wrong. I am excited to get back to Flint and it would be nice to see a team thats moving forward and not continuing to trend backwards.

Reactions: TcNorth

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I wouldn’t be surprised if the League forces Rolf to sell the team because I think the League wants Flint to stay put

Reactions: SebJHockey

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
The question is do they have any buyers willing to take on this organization. And if so, the first person I would get rid of would be BB.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
I wouldn’t be surprised if the League forces Rolf to sell the team because I think the League wants Flint to stay put

If the OHL forces Nilsen to sell the team look for it to get nasty..... as in legal action. Nilsen deserved the suspension, but he does not deserve the current condition that the OHL has the franchise in. Plain and simple.....incompetent management, longtime followers from all over the OHL have all stated this.

I'm told that Rolf is looking at other options, because no one in their right mind would buy the franchise in the current state it is in. The value of the franchise is not what Nilsen paid for it and the OHL has a lot to do with this being the case.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
If the OHL forces Nilsen to sell the team look for it to get nasty..... as in legal action. Nilsen deserved the suspension, but he does not deserve the current condition that the OHL has the franchise in. Plain and simple.....incompetent management, longtime followers from all over the OHL have all stated this.

I'm told that Rolf is looking at other options, because no one in their right mind would buy the franchise in the current state it is in. The value of the franchise is not what Nilsen paid for it and the OHL has a lot to do with this being the case.

Really not sure what options he has because moving the team doesn’t fix the issues and no other league will have him..best bet is to sell

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

I've heard from 2 separate people that Rolf wants to repair his image here in Flint, with eyes on buying another team down the road. So not sure what his options would be?

Also I know the original suspension was 5 years, but wasn't there a stipulation that he could apply for reinstatement after Hakon aged out? I am trying to find the details of everything, but I can't seem to find it.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I've heard from 2 separate people that Rolf wants to repair his image here in Flint, with eyes on buying another team down the road. So not sure what his options would be?

Also I know the original suspension was 5 years, but wasn't there a stipulation that he could apply for reinstatement after Hakon aged out? I am trying to find the details of everything, but I can't seem to find it.

Found it finally. Statement from David Branch, OHL Commissioner, concerning Flint Firebirds – Ontario Hockey League

"Furthermore, Rolf Nilsen may after three (3) years apply for reinstatement to participate in hockey operations of the Flint Firebirds."

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Really not sure what options he has because moving the team doesn’t fix the issues and no other league will have him..best bet is to sell

You've got to remember that Nilsen just didn't invest in buying the franchise, but also purchased the arena. I ask you how many other OHL teams are in that situation? He has a lot more invested (and to lose) then most other OHL owners.

Rolf thus far has complied with the terms of the suspension, but is going to find himself in the position of an asset (the franchise) valued at much less then it was at the beginning of his suspension. All due to the mismanagement by the OHL.

Do you not think that if the OHL wanted him to sell the franchise and that the OHL had a buyer that a deal would have been accomplished? Breaking News.....No Buyers = No Deal is the status as of today.

One other league has told him to not apply for admittance to their respective league.

But don't fret, there still maybe hope of reviving that fierce Port Huron-Flint rivalry.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015

I do not agree that if Stefan is retained as coach that this means the OHL is not willing to commit to a long term future in Flint. Most good coaches have jobs already. There probably are not many who want to report to an 0-8 team with a lame duck owner who is on suspension. However, our hope is there is someone out there who wants this challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad