Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
If Rowe comes in with his head on right, then Flint has really increased their compete level today.
You hit the nail on the "head", Rowe is not lacking in the skill department--the concern is between the ears. That info courtesy of a Knights scout with whom I correspond. Maybe the change of scenery will help.

Reactions: zman77

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint’s Draft Inventory

Flint. 1st
Hamilton. 2nd
Kitchener. 2nd
Flint. 3rd
Niagara 3rd
Oshawa. 3rd

Flint. 1st
Flint. 2nd
SSM. 2nd
Flint. 3rd
Flint 4th

Flint. 1st
Flint. 2nd
Niagara. 2nd
Flint. 3rd
Kitchener. 3rd
Updated after a flurry of activity by Flint and London on October 2nd

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77 and LDN

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
It's not like London to get rid of a 1st rounder as well as play him so little, so I'm thinking there must be some truth to what Knights Watcher has written. The coaches may have their work cut out for them. Does BB actually do any homework on players they are acquiring? Hopefully Rowe will take advantage of his second chance he's been given and come in with a different approach.

Reactions: zman77 and Savard18

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I wouldn’t be surprised if Rowe was out of sorts over his lack of ice time in London. Maybe his demeanour improves now that he will most likely get more opportunities in Flint?
Hope he gets in career going with the Firebirds. Low-risk trade for them really.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
London Knights fan here...
Nice pickups for you the last few weeks.
Bangs...will be a solid Defensive D....Not flashy but will get better with more ice time....just got caught up in the numbers game in London.
Vlad...a STEAL for Flint! He is the real thing and should solidify your d-corps. Has it all... size, puck-handling, vision and good offensively. Definite First Rounder in the NHL Draft. Again....caught up in the Import numbers game here ... so many of us in London are sad to see him go but happy he's getting the chance with another team.
Rowe... well, what can I say? To put it kindly....a total BUST. Has potential with his speed and skill but won't put the work in. Lazy in practices which translates to games. My thoughts are that he felt entitled as a First-Round pick and thought that ice-time would be handed to him on a silver platter. That's not how it works in London with the Hunters. You have to work for your role and he didn't . Only 2 points in 25 games in London last year. Followed by a rumored very heated exchange between him and the coaching staff at the exit interviews at the end of last season. Kid needs a new attitude and some work ethic. Hopefully he gets that in Flint and matures into the player that London thought they were going to get.
If the rumors are true, then this should be a bit of a wake up call for Lucas. It SHOULD have him practicing and playing with a chip on his shoulder at least for the next little while. He should get a good chunk of ice time here. It's up to him what he does with that and how long that lasts. Heated exchange with the coaching staff? Yeah, don't think I'd be getting into it with Dale Hunter. Probably walk backwards out of the room just to ensure I don't get Pierre Turgeon'd.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
If the rumors are true, then this should be a bit of a wake up call for Lucas. It SHOULD have him practicing and playing with a chip on his shoulder at least for the next little while. He should get a good chunk of ice time here. It's up to him what he does with that and how long that lasts. Heated exchange with the coaching staff? Yeah, don't think I'd be getting into it with Dale Hunter. Probably walk backwards out of the room just to ensure I don't get Pierre Turgeon'd.
Yes. From what I hear it got very ugly. Rowe got hurt mid season and came back. He was told by the coaching staff to ease into it so he could get back to 100%. I believe it was his first game back and he got into a fight (was told by coaches to avoid fighting as well) and hurt himself again. Lipped off to the Hunters and was in the doghouse the rest of the way due to his discipline and attitude afterwards. By end of season he was a liability on the ice due to his lack of hustle. End of season exit physicals and interviews he was called out by the staff and told he had played his last game as a London Knight. He lost it and it led to a screaming match between him and Dale. Now, rumour has it that Cole Tymkin was also called out and told he would not be playing for London this season as well during those same exit interviews. The Hunters tend to try and scare these kids straight. For Tymkin it worked... he worked his butt off during training camp and has been a completely different player from the discipline side, which has led to him being given the 'A' and first line minutes. Same for McMichael.... different attitude this season and he is the leading scorer. Rowe, on the other hand, regressed.... little effort during training camp and preseason....outworked by all of the 16-year old draft picks this year... non-existent in preseason... just didn't wan to be here it seems. Kid needs to realize he has the talent but needs to put in the work and be more disciplined. Hopefully he gets his head on straight in Flint. I wish him luck cuz he seems like an alright kid that has simply lost his way.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Coaches corner on ABC, Oulahen just said hes coached Lucas Rowe before with "Hockey Canada", so it seems he is at least familiar with him.

Reactions: hockjock and zman77

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Good trade for Flint. Rowe was really good when he was on the Reps with Jamieson Rees but London just never gave him a chance. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Connor Roberts type breakout with his 2nd chance in the OHL now

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Coaches corner on ABC, Oulahen just said hes coached Lucas Rowe before with "Hockey Canada", so it seems he is at least familiar with him.
Hahaha. I just noticed your new Avatar. That's pretty funny. I do wish they'd introduce a updated jersey though. Just copy the '80's Islanders style. At least one of the Jr. Firebird teams has it. I see MM age kids wearing them around the rink frequently.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
How did d man Nikita Alexandrov get released by the club. I did not know the OHL even had waivers. Could someone please explain.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
How did d man Nikita Alexandrov get released by the club. I did not know the OHL even had waivers. Could someone please explain.

London had 3 import players on their roster after Adam Boqvist was returned from NHL camp. They had to release one, they did. Flint claimed Vladislav Kolyachonok. Flint then released Alexandrov since they can only hold the rights to 2 import players, so they kept the rights to Jan Jenik who is playing in the Czech league right now.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Flint must still feel confident about their ability to bring Janik over to play for them if they held onto his rights rather than Alexandrov's.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Flint must still feel confident about their ability to bring Janik over to play for them if they held onto his rights rather than Alexandrov's.
Don't think that is it at all. There was really no upside to keeping Alexandrov's rights Vs Jenik's. Truth is we don't really give up anything letting Alexandrov go but could potentially gain a lot if Jenik decides to come here.

Reactions: LDN

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
London had 3 import players on their roster after Adam Boqvist was returned from NHL camp. They had to release one, they did. Flint claimed Vladislav Kolyachonok. Flint then released Alexandrov since they can only hold the rights to 2 import players, so they kept the rights to Jan Jenik who is playing in the Czech league right now.
Thanks for the reply! Do you know what happened to D Ryan Littlejohn?

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Anyone know if Kolyachonok will be in the lineup tonight? I am pretty certain Rowe will be considering he was actually practicing with the team yesterday.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Anyone know if Kolyachonok will be in the lineup tonight? I am pretty certain Rowe will be considering he was actually practicing with the team yesterday.
who will they play with? what lines?

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
who will they play with? what lines?
Don't know yet. They had Rowe in a yellow practice jersey yesterday but I don't know which line that is. Just saw him in the game preview video they put up last night. That's how I know he was practicing with the team yesterday. I'm not sure if they will want to try him with Dellandrea or not. They have been playing Roberts and Keppen with Ty. I'm liking Keppen on that line so far Roberts and Ty haven't had a fast start though.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I like Clarke better with Ty and Roberts, more speed. The good thing about this year is no matter who you put where in the line up, they are all pretty solid lines. I think the coach is still trying to find some sort of chemistry amongst his lines. They usually start out one way and by the 3rd they are sometimes changed up.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I think they are going to have to try a few until they hit it. Clarke could be good. I think Keppen is going to be a pain in the opposing teams butt no matter what line he is on.

Reactions: Savard18

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I like Clarke better with Ty and Roberts, more speed. The good thing about this year is no matter who you put where in the line up, they are all pretty solid lines. I think the coach is still trying to find some sort of chemistry amongst his lines. They usually start out one way and by the 3rd they are sometimes changed up.
Yeah, I think that sums it up pretty well. My only point would be Clarke. He's 19 now. I thought he was one of the best forwards in camp LAST year. He ripped it up this preseason too. It just hasn't translated to the regular season yet. You can see the potential. He's a speedy, great skater with skills. It just hasn't happened yet. It needs to this year. He should be looking at 30+ goals. I'm fine with him on the LW with Ty and Conner but if he (or that line in general) doesn't provide consistent production, I'd be moving him down the lineup to find a place where he produces. You are right though, I was looking at it last night. There's a bit of talent and a lot of possible line combinations. Really looking forward to seeing Rowe and Kolyachonok.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Rowe is expected to be in the lineup tonight. Koly is not...immigration/visa issues that need to be handled when someone is coming to the US via Canada from a third country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad