Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockjock

Oct 4, 2018
London Knights fan here...
Nice pickups for you the last few weeks.
Bangs...will be a solid Defensive D....Not flashy but will get better with more ice time....just got caught up in the numbers game in London.
Vlad...a STEAL for Flint! He is the real thing and should solidify your d-corps. Has it all... size, puck-handling, vision and good offensively. Definite First Rounder in the NHL Draft. Again....caught up in the Import numbers game here ... so many of us in London are sad to see him go but happy he's getting the chance with another team.
Rowe... well, what can I say? To put it kindly....a total BUST. Has potential with his speed and skill but won't put the work in. Lazy in practices which translates to games. My thoughts are that he felt entitled as a First-Round pick and thought that ice-time would be handed to him on a silver platter. That's not how it works in London with the Hunters. You have to work for your role and he didn't . Only 2 points in 25 games in London last year. Followed by a rumored very heated exchange between him and the coaching staff at the exit interviews at the end of last season. Kid needs a new attitude and some work ethic. Hopefully he gets that in Flint and matures into the player that London thought they were going to get.
Not sure it was quite that dramatic. Heard kid wanted ice same as Whittaker which is why both left . Rumour is duhart wants out hates London

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
From what I heard from some London parents of players, Rowe came to London with an bad attitude thinnking because he’s a 1st rounder he was entitled to certain things and that didn’t fly with London staff or some of the players. There were a few other rookies who thought the same, but they camebavk this year with a lesson learned Rowe not so much.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
They're not millennials. They're gen z, whatever they get called.

Well whatever they’re called, I find it pretty funny. From the sounds of it, last year’s rookies showed up expecting everything to be handed to them without working for it (sort of a criticized characteristic of the younger generations these days). If there’s one guy in the league where that attitude ain’t gonna fly.....

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think Ohlahen job is secure for at least this year based on he hasn't had the same assistants for more than 1 year. Not sure if this is more his problem or not but until the coaching staff gets some time together we won't know for sure. Also, can Rolf fire Ohlahen at the current time or will the firing have to come from the OHL office due to the suspension?
I think any firing or hiring would be done by Branch. I can't remember who hired Ouhlahen, if it was Burnett or not. Ouhlahen's job security was brought up to me after last nights game by an old line mate of mine that has a decent coaching resume. My feeling was, no way they should do anything until they see how things settle down with Gordeev and Kolyachonok in the line up. By the time Busby and McCourt come back and get their legs back underneath them, they'll be 20+ games into the season. If they're still struggling as bad as they are now, can they wait that long? I mean, that only seems fair to Ouhlahen but it might be too late by then. My friend who actually has a bit of a Pro-Ouhlahen slant argued, they can't wait that long. That this is "his" group of kids. That we've seen the huge up and down swings with the top players packing it in before. Witnessed the lack of defensive structure. Seen the team struggle extensively on the PP with this group of kids, who are now a year older. That the group as whole, just seems to lack finish, produce quality offensive chances and play solid positional hockey. I've thought "Ouhlahen needs to go" before and he turned things around and changed my mind. We're right back there again though. Is that him? This group of kids? Some external factor? I don't think you can critique him too hard just yet, but if things aren't moving DECIDEDLY in a positive direction over the next two weekends, it should be given consideration. Word seems to be it's a tight locker room with a great group of kids. The talent is there when everybody's back. I like the addition of Bangs. I think I'm really going to like the addition of Rowe and Kolyachonok. It's time to find some chemistry and start producing because it's gonna take at least a couple weekends to dig themselves out of the basement and get back in the playoff picture.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The answer with so many of our concerns lies with Rolf selling the team to Diplomat Pharmacy or someone that will keep the team in Flint.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Guelph downs Sarnia 6-5 tonight. The Storm went 3/4 on the PP tonight, so it's important the Firebirds stay out of the box tomorrow. Guelph was only 1/3 on the PK, so hopefully Flint can finally find a little luck there but they don't have the offense Sarnia does. Popovich in net for the Storm, so good chance we see Daws tomorrow but it might not matter. It looks like Guelph is probably going to be one of the best teams they've faced so far, if the not the best.

Reactions: LDN

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
One word Pathetic. If i didnt have season tickets this would have been my last game for awhile.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Well whatever they’re called, I find it pretty funny. From the sounds of it, last year’s rookies showed up expecting everything to be handed to them without working for it (sort of a criticized characteristic of the younger generations these days). If there’s one guy in the league where that attitude ain’t gonna fly.....
Most other teams do their homework prior to drafting a player

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
We really need Vladislav. However, he’s not a game changer. Dellandrea had 1 goal on only 1 shot. Makes you wonder what would have happened if our leader had more than 1 shot in a 60 minute game. I am not giving up, but someone needs to step up.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Heard Gretz wants out and the theres many others as well. I think this team is about to explode. Coaches needs to get a handle on this team!!

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
*whispers*
your team drafted Will Cuylle
Chimin in again eh...everyone knew he said wasn’t coming it’s a chance but an extra 1st and 2nd then 3 2nds and 3 3rds isn’t bad haha has nothing to do with doing a character background chumly..sorry flint wasn’t meant for you was another teams original issue

Reactions: nofriendsinhockey

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Heard Gretz wants out and the theres many others as well. I think this team is about to explode. Coaches needs to get a handle on this team!!
I'm not so sure the coaches aren't the problem. Ouhlahen is one of only a couple constants in a recurring problem. There's not a lack of talent. There is a lack of structure. Cavallin played solid tonight but was left to hang over and over. We've seen this before. I thought it was fixed. I appear to be mistaken, which is sad because you can see how good this group could be even missing the top half of their D core.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
There is no team play whatsoever. I watched a lot of selfish players tonight, not passing when they should and staying on the ice way too long.

Ed Hatfield

Sep 25, 2018
Last night Bangs was +1 and Gordeev was -3. Bangs was on the ice for the start of each period plus playing PK and PP. He's only going to get better with this amount of playing time. I hope he is paired with Vlad K as they worked very well together in London.

Reactions: Gensdef

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Only 1,800 on a Saturday Night with Michigan and Michigan St. not playing football last night? Maybe it is a product of being 0-6? Could be another small crowd next Saturday with Wisconsin playing at Michigan at 7:30 on national television. They have to learn how to win if there are 1,000 in the building or 4,000.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Only 1,800 on a Saturday Night with Michigan and Michigan St. not playing football last night? Maybe it is a product of being 0-6? Could be another small crowd next Saturday with Wisconsin playing at Michigan at 7:30 on national television. They have to learn how to win if there are 1,000 in the building or 4,000.

They have always struggled in October and November with crowds.

Night before Thanksgiving is when it felt like the crowds started changing.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Yes, but it is even lower than previous years.

Is It?

This site has average attendance off around 400 in 3 games from the average attendance for all of last season. Since it is already established that Flint starts light on attendance and with only 3 home games in the books I would think that it would be much lower considering the sky is falling and all. /sarcasm :rolleyes:

Flint Firebirds yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Think Dellandrea gets moved for picks/young players this year since there's a chance he's not back next season?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Is It?

This site has average attendance off around 400 in 3 games from the average attendance for all of last season. Since it is already established that Flint starts light on attendance and with only 3 home games in the books I would think that it would be much lower considering the sky is falling and all. /sarcasm :rolleyes:

Flint Firebirds yearly attendance at hockeydb.com
Yes. Your attachment shows us 19th out of 20 teams. Opening night was good. Wednesday and Friday were really really bad. We shall see what the weekend brings. You cannot blame high school or college football games on Wednesday and Saturdays attendance no matter how much you try to sugar coat it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad