Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyForLife14

Aug 31, 2018
Thanks for posting that, when I am WRONG I will admit that.

Yes, I have a QUESTION what do you all think about that?

Why not suspend the player for the whole season?...makes just about sense as five games does.

WHAT IF SOMEONE, ESPECIALLY A CHILD, GETS HURT FROM A PLAYER DOING THIS.....that's why it's a black and white suspension because NO PLAYER should ever do this during a game, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Play is over and fans are not expecting pucks to come over the glass after a stoppage of play....what now, announcers have to say "keep your eye out during your whole time in the building for flying pucks"??????

hockjock

Oct 4, 2018
WHAT IF SOMEONE, ESPECIALLY A CHILD, GETS HURT FROM A PLAYER DOING THIS.....that's why it's a black and white suspension because NO PLAYER should ever do this during a game, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Play is over and fans are not expecting pucks to come over the glass after a stoppage of play....what now, announcers have to say "keep your eye out during your whole time in the building for flying pucks"??????
Well he must’ve said something pretty bad if that’s the case.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
It's not the kind of issue that needs a rule with zero discretion. Like I said earlier...a puck that rolls up the boards, and flops end-over-end is no more dangerous than a puck thrown over the glass to a kid who can't wait to have it. Penalize that player, but no need to suspend him. Short of that, wrap your kids in bubble-wrap if you're gonna take them to hockey games.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Gotta think the rule and mandatory suspension was enacted after 1 or many more defenseman angrily blazed the puck into the stands after the whistle. I'm sure a lot of the kids are aware of the rule and I'm fine with it but I think the suspension should be reviewed. Or the length shouldn't be mandatory. They only showed the overhead on tv and it did not look like he was even angry. Calmly scooped it out of the net and just flipped it to the wall straight across the goaline. Where theres netting that extends far past that up the boards. Seriously, I was told by someone that was at the game that puck went through a hole in the netting. That sounds suspect but that person has never BS'ed me before so......? The amount of man-games lost by this team has to be close to record setting pace right now. Anyway, I've also been wondering what the over/under is on Durham getting 40 goals this year? What's the Firebirds season goal record and who would have guessed Durham could get it this year? I predicted 20+ for him last year and he got 8.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Both Branches appear to be doing everything in their power to move this team to another city. It is really sad what they are doing to hockey in Flint.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan and cub

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Both Branches appear to be doing everything in their power to move this team to another city. It is really sad what they are doing to hockey in Flint.
It wont go to another city. It is owned by Nilsen and he will control that not the Branches. However the Branches are making that decision for Nilsen very easy.
People (players, coaches and parents) need to speak up. Raise their concerns at a higher level. Cant go to the league so if that means going to Hockey Canada then do it.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I lean a little more towards Barclay is just completely incompetent. His track record in Sudbury and Flint seem to confirm that. When Sudbury fans warned us about him I seriously underestimated how bad he could screw things up. He hasn't just been one of the worst OHL GM's I've seen, he ranks up there with the worst in all of sport.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It wont go to another city. It is owned by Nilsen and he will control that not the Branches. However the Branches are making that decision for Nilsen very easy.
People (players, coaches and parents) need to speak up. Raise their concerns at a higher level. Cant go to the league so if that means going to Hockey Canada then do it.
David Branch is also the commish of the CHL and I'd think has considerable influence with HC, but I agree.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I lean a little more towards Barclay is just completely incompetent. His track record in Sudbury and Flint seem to confirm that. When Sudbury fans warned us about him I seriously underestimated how bad he could screw things up. He hasn't just been one of the worst OHL GM's I've seen, he ranks up there with the worst in all of sport.

The Matt Millen of the OHL.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The Matt Millen of the OHL.
Seriously worse and George Burnett didn't really do the team a lot of favors either in the long scheme of things. He spent pretty heavily for one playoff win but I get the reasoning behind it.

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018

What have you heard? Move them were possibly and what happens to the current owner is the team and building a joint fixture lets say?

OSA

Jun 11, 2011

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Barclay Branch should in all seriousness not be allowed to trade with London at any point. He loses each trade so badly it’s almost conspiratorial

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Barclay Branch should in all seriousness not be allowed to trade with London at any point. He loses each trade so badly it’s almost conspiratorial

Branch got burned with London in the Yak and Jamieson trades he made for Sudbury too. Horrible just a horrible GM. In fact he stayed home most of his time and did his management in Southern Ontario. And people thought it wasn't a bad idea so he could scout more often for the draft. Well his drafts were horrible too. So I feel for you Flint. Papineau has done a complete turn around with what he was inherited by Branch in two years.

WJ

Reactions: cub

hockjock

Oct 4, 2018
Branch got burned with London in the Yak and Jamieson trades he made for Sudbury too. Horrible just a horrible GM. In fact he stayed home most of his time and did his management in Southern Ontario. And people thought it wasn't a bad idea so he could scout more often for the draft. Well his drafts were horrible too. So I feel for you Flint. Papineau has done a complete turn around with what he was inherited by Branch in two years.

WJ
Can the team step in and get Barclay out? You’d think they’d have a say.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Something is about to explode. Next six games on the Road where they are 0-12.

Sure the player's have a say. Remember the last time they ALL threw down their jerseys? Threatening to not play. That made International news in the hockey world with the suspension of Nilsen and OHL takeover.

It was bad enough that nepotism started this whole mess and it still continues today with the OHL commissioner sending his son to oversee this disaster.

David and Barclay Branch...this could not be happening without the two of you...Guess what my Christmas wish is?

Reactions: DetSpitsFan and cub

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well, Michael DiPietro has played his last game in the DFCU. 4 more games against Windsor and they won't have to face him. They probably will next Friday in Ottawa though.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I said a while ago the players should all throw down their jerseys and refuse to play until BB is gone minimum and this mess of a team gets situated. Who should start that conversation with the players the Coaches, the Captain or Alternate Captains??

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I said a while ago the players should all throw down their jerseys and refuse to play until BB is gone minimum and this mess of a team gets situated. Who should start that conversation with the players the Coaches, the Captain or Alternate Captains??
Packman, I like a lot of the things you say. However, I do not like this idea. Every NHL drafted Flint player would be moved at NHL teams request. Besides Rolf selling, not sure the answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Someone (and I’m thinking the players collectively) should do something to get the OHL to listen. To my knowledge, Ty is the only signed NHL draft so far and I could see him wanting out sooner then later.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
For those of you thinking of having an ECHL team in Flint, affiliated with an NHL team (Columbus Blue Jackets) over an OHL team would be better, you should watch what you wish for. I still prefer a OHL team. NHL Columbus only sent "2" players to their former ECHL affiliate Quad City last year and are now out of the organization. Still hoping for new owners in Flint for the Firebirds. Columbus's top AHL affiliate is the Cleveland Monsters and have no ECHL affiliate team this year. Was easy to read between the lines on this rumor floated by a poster here.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Personally, I'd much rather have the OHL in Flint than the ECHL. Have really enjoyed seeing the top-end future talent flow through town over the last 4 years. With all due respect for the level of talent that it takes to even get to the ECHL level, we'd never see the level of talent that the OHL brings.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
When the Whalers were around, I would venture down to Toledo to watch the Toledo Walleye and have to say, I much enjoyed the Whalers over the Walleye. More first rate pro players come thru, instead of career journeyman. Seem more entertaining knowing these were 16-20 years old playing pro style hockey. Miss the Whalers and wish their professionalism carried on to Flint.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I like both. I miss seeing Kevin Kerr, Peter Giroux, Mario Chitaroni, Mike Clarke, and Peter Horachek. I didn’t care if most didn’t make it to the NHL. I don’t care if most OHL players don’t make it to the NHL. We have been gyped in Flint of a solid consistent OHL franchise due to Rolf’s antics and now the Branch family decisions. Would love to see how the Firebirds would respond to a respected owner, players who wanted to be here, better/bigger crowds, and a team run the correct way by it’s respected own owners (not the league) and with an experienced hockey staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad