Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Cavallin got 5 games. I also heard that a number of players may not be back after the Christmas break.
Inspite of what is happening they are part of a team. If players dont return after Christmas and have not been traded then in my opinion they have no care or desire to be there. Rather than not show up they need to voice their concerns to the league.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I know I have brought up the Vierling draft pick and someone said but the experts had him slotted high also. Well before I did buy my season tickets for the first time this year I went to the rookie camp to check out the players and the brass had Vierling skating in the games along side Keppen to feed him pucks. Vierling at the rookie camp was not in my top 5, what does that tell you? A friend told me before the draft keep an eye on Perrault, and Drsydale. Well why didn't Flint keep an eye on them. Can you spell College packages. Vierling came with no 4 year package. They were better off taking Tullio and then trading him back to Oshawa for players that can help now

Drysdale came to an Erie vs London game at the end of last season when he was touring the clubs. Once he heard how loud Erie's barn is, saw how nice the fans and facilities are he immediately knew he had to be here. Drysdale said he would only want to go the Erie because it felt like home to him. That's why Sudbury, Flint, and Peterborough all passed on him. Drysdale could have gone #2 to Byfield. He's a world class player or will be once he gets a little older. His skating is insane.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Drysdale came to an Erie vs London game at the end of last season when he was touring the clubs. Once he heard how loud Erie's barn is, saw how nice the fans and facilities are he immediately knew he had to be here. Drysdale said he would only want to go the Erie because it felt like home to him. That's why Sudbury, Flint, and Peterborough all passed on him. Drysdale could have gone #2 to Byfield. He's a world class player or will be once he gets a little older. His skating is insane.

It was a loaded draft with several players having options outside of the OHL. Cuylle, Purfetti or Stranges would have been good selections at #2; but like Drysdale, they had the ability to choose a destination more suitable to them, and parents, and agents. Vierling was among the best of the rest and willing to report to Flint.

It might be a good idea for Flint fans to stop trashing the kid. The next crop and their parents are reading these forums too.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
It was a loaded draft with several players having options outside of the OHL. Cuylle, Purfetti or Stranges would have been good selections at #2; but like Drysdale, they had the ability to choose a destination more suitable to them, and parents, and agents. Vierling was among the best of the rest and willing to report to Flint.

It might be a good idea for Flint fans to stop trashing the kid. The next crop and their parents are reading these forums too.

Oh absolutely. This past draft was insanely talented. I'd like to say by the next year or two, you'll see some of these kids top in scoring and drafted to the NHL. It'll be fun to watch and more competitive. Kudos to Vierling for actually wanting to go to Flint and for not giving them a cold shoulder.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Thank You for the clarification.
Also, 1st round picks in their 1st season can only be traded for draft picks. Not players. Of course, they could then keep and/or trade those picks for players. He did look better last night effort wise. Hit a post. They kid has incredible vision and passing ability. He sent two outlet passes from the half-boards all the way across the ice and put them right on the tape of the far breaking winger. It's mostly just effort level and realizing he's going to have to actually work at this level to produce.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Good point. To be honest here though, I'd ask those parents to watch a little game action of Vierling in Flint first though. Being completely serious and not exaggerating, last night was the first time I've seen him take more than 4 strides in a row. He's tied with our goaltender for points right now. Even last night which was an improved effort, two goals were scored because he wasn't back-checking and picking up his guy. Trust me. Everyone wants to see the kid turn it around and succeed but there is no way that will ever happen unless he steps up his compete level by a lot.

Reactions: cub

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Good point. To be honest here though, I'd ask those parents to watch a little game action of Vierling in Flint first though. Being completely serious and not exaggerating, last night was the first time I've seen him take more than 4 strides in a row. He's tied with our goaltender for points right now. Even last night which was an improved effort, two goals were scored because he wasn't back-checking and picking up his guy. Trust me. Everyone wants to see the kid turn it around and succeed but there is no way that will ever happen unless he steps up his compete level by a lot.

I think I was the first person here to start bagging on Vierling, kid just hasn't impressed me from day 1, just looks lazy.

Like you just said tho Savard, he did skate a little bit last night, he actually didn't look that bad with Durham and Ty, hit a post, they had some chances. He was involved.

I would NOT have put him on the ice in OT tho, he definitely has not earned that opportunity at all.

Reactions: Packman

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Sting fan coming in Peace. Crazy game Friday night. Was pretty shocked I didn't see any Flint fans in the building. Especially with the deal of 2 tickets 2 beers 2 hot dogs for $49.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
If you go back and watch past games of Vierling, prior to last nights game, you will see what everyone has been commenting on to be only true facts, his compete level needs to step up, his laziness, no back checking, and covering his man. It’s not like people are being hard on him, it’s facts watch and see. In my days of hockey you had to earn ice time, it wasn’t given. From what I remember Keppan started on the 4th line as a 1st rounder and slowly earned his way up the live up and I don’t believe saw special teams until roughly Christmas and he rightfully deserved it!!

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Sting fan coming in Peace. Crazy game Friday night. Was pretty shocked I didn't see any Flint fans in the building. Especially with the deal of 2 tickets 2 beers 2 hot dogs for $49.

You must work for the Sting ticket office.

Reactions: 4thLiner

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
And Vierling is on the top line again this aft. Maybe Wellwood thinks by having him play with Dellandrea and Durham he will pick up his game.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
3 assists, +2, 2nd star of the night. It seems to be working. It's not a talent issue with the kid. It's just been compete level. If he skates like he has the last two nights and actually starts finding a lttle luck, he's going to produce this year. On a struggling team, as a 16yo. But he's going to have to keep skating. As far as this weekend....if they get even half way decent, mediocre goaltending, that's a 3 win weekend. Vella is struggling. 4 times today he looked behind himself, not knowing if he stopped the puck.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
You must work for the Sting ticket office.
No actually I don't. However I know several people within the organization. Several other teams fans were dying to have this deal when their teams play here including London. Plus with the dollar exchange and amazing weather it sucks none of you came out.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
And Vierling is on the top line again this aft. Maybe Wellwood thinks by having him play with Dellandrea and Durham he will pick up his game.

Well I will say last night and today it was the hardest he skated for sure. Still looks a bit lazy on D, lots of standing, not much movement in his feet. But offensively he looked way better the last 2 games.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I saw Vierling probably 12 or 13 times in his minor midget year, and honestly didn't think compete would be a huge problem for him. In fairness, it wasn't a stand out quality in his game, but I never wrote down lack of effort in my notebook. Very surprised by his negative play so far this season.

I had him rated above Stranges last year, for the record.

Byfield
Vierling/Perfetti
Foudy
Stranges

Was how I had the top forwards ranked.

Reactions: dirty12

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I saw Vierling probably 12 or 13 times in his minor midget year, and honestly didn't think compete would be a huge problem for him. In fairness, it wasn't a stand out quality in his game, but I never wrote down lack of effort in my notebook. Very surprised by his negative play so far this season.

I had him rated above Stranges last year, for the record.

Byfield
Vierling/Perfetti
Foudy
Stranges

Was how I had the top forwards ranked.
You weren't the only person who had him ranked highly. Out of curiosity, was he seeing more icetime WITH Byfield or was he spending more time as a 2C behind Byfield?

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Byfield and Vierling only played together on the powerplay.

Lines were-to the best of my memory: Collins-Byfield-Galata and then Butler-Vierling-Colangelo

Vierling's success had little to do with Byfield, imo. Granted, teams didn't load up on him like they did Byfield.

Hopefully the kid turns it around.

Reactions: Savard18

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I come in peace. For some kids it is a big adjustment from midget to junior. Vierling probably never had to back check and has to learn that on the fly. We have Evangelista with 1 point and nobody is calling the kid out. We have a great team and him and Panwar are sitting out an awful lot. They get to watch and learn while Vierling and Stranges get to learn on the fly albeit Stranges is on 4th line with no pressure. The game I watched in Flint I thought he played well as did the whole team. I think final score was 4-2. I played junior hockey and have been a season ticket holder for the Knights for 40+ years. You have to have patience with kids. The Knights did with Rowe but I think he felt entitled which doesn’t fly with Hunters. I was hoping he would excel in Flint with a fresh start. He has the talent but from what I have heard for what that is worth he also had an attitude. I can only hope he finds it in Kingston for his sake as he came into league highly touted.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
No actually I don't. However I know several people within the organization. Several other teams fans were dying to have this deal when their teams play here including London. Plus with the dollar exchange and amazing weather it sucks none of you came out.

If you know someone that does the promotions, hook up that deal with the Spits for me. I got that American money exchange rate!

Same thing with Plymouth, I felt like their fans never traveled well with the team, especially when the team was under .500.

Good to see Vietcong have a couple good games. You guys gotta remember he’s a 16 year old in this league, it’s a developmental league. He’ll get there. Hustle isn’t taught though, and I haven’t seen a ton of Flint this year. If he’s not producing it’s a completely different thing than not trying.

hockjock

Oct 4, 2018
I come in peace. For some kids it is a big adjustment from midget to junior. Vierling probably never had to back check and has to learn that on the fly. We have Evangelista with 1 point and nobody is calling the kid out. We have a great team and him and Panwar are sitting out an awful lot. They get to watch and learn while Vierling and Stranges get to learn on the fly albeit Stranges is on 4th line with no pressure. The game I watched in Flint I thought he played well as did the whole team. I think final score was 4-2. I played junior hockey and have been a season ticket holder for the Knights for 40+ years. You have to have patience with kids. The Knights did with Rowe but I think he felt entitled which doesn’t fly with Hunters. I was hoping he would excel in Flint with a fresh start. He has the talent but from what I have heard for what that is worth he also had an attitude. I can only hope he finds it in Kingston for his sake as he came into league highly touted.
I’ve said it before I don’t buy the attitude. Kingston loves the kid. It’s just a matter of time before evangelists has “attitude” aka frustration. Can’t be easy watching your piers Strive ahead while you sit. Vierling is getting confidence because they’re playing him. Don’t underestimate the power of showing your players you have confidence in them rather than sit game after game. These kids leave home at 16 to play not sit. Now I’m hearing Cavallin is got an attitude here and to me it’s just frustration.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Kingston is only loving Rowe because he was told to be on his best behavior heading to Kingston. I heard he has a new agent as well. You can’t have three strikes, because we all know how that ends. Most 16 yr old should shoukd know that nothing in life is given, they need to work hard and earn it, unless of course they are one of those entitled kids.

Last edited:

hockjock

Oct 4, 2018
Kingston is only loving Rowe because he was told to be on his best behavior heading to Kingston. I heard he has a new agent as well. You can’t have three strikes, because we all know how that ends.
Cuz you know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad