Flint Firebirds 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I agree with you 100% on being silent on disciplinary issues is NOT the way to build up trust between a community and a team. After what this franchise went thru last season with coach firings, player revolt, fines, suspensions and then the eventual takeover of the club by the OHL one would think that management would attempt to re-establish some of that trust lost by being upfront and honest with its fans. When a key player all of a sudden is missing from the lineup fans deserve an answer. For if it was not for the fans, there would be no Flint Firebirds.

And as for Ryan Moore, I posted in a earlier post that Ryan Moore is a good kid who made a stupid mistake. We are all human and have made mistakes in our lives. I'm the first to admit to that. I have learned from the mistakes that I have made to make myself a better person and I am certain that Ryan will do likewise. I want to personally thank Ryan for the season that he had in Flint this year and wish him the best in his future endeavors.

? It's 2-1 Soo. I ain't so sure it's over just yet. It's up to his teammates to step up and see to it his (and their) season isn't over. It's a tall order, but playoffs always are.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Flint's 2nd was traded in the Kirwan deal

According to my records, Flint actually sent Niagara's 2017 2nd away in that deal. I have Flint's 2017 2nd coming back to them from Oshawa in the Kyle Keyser deal (it was previously in Kingston, and before that, Sudbury), something that the Generals' official site confirms, and I don't have it leaving Flint again. So it may be the OHL, and not the database, that's wrong on this one. (I suppose it's possible that the pick went to Barrie as part of some weird conditional, but if so, I have no record of that either.)

I can't find anything on that 3rd-rounder, but I'll keep digging.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
According to my records, Flint actually sent Niagara's 2017 2nd away in that deal. I have Flint's 2017 2nd coming back to them from Oshawa in the Kyle Keyser deal (it was previously in Kingston, and before that, Sudbury), something that the Generals' official site confirms, and I don't have it leaving Flint again. So it may be the OHL, and not the database, that's wrong on this one. (I suppose it's possible that the pick went to Barrie as part of some weird conditional, but if so, I have no record of that either.)

I can't find anything on that 3rd-rounder, but I'll keep digging.

We all appreciate your (and TCFlint's work on the Firebirds) work SFC. I know it's far from easy keeping all that stuff straight. Let's hope you're right and the OHL is wrong.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Flint is within 60 minutes from Detroit (Red Wings, Pistons, Tigers, Lions), Ann Arbor (University of Michigan), Saginaw (Saginaw Spirit), and East Lansing (Michigan St. University). It can be challenging to get an article in the paper, but the tv stations do give good coverage. Sault Ste. Marie does not have that diversity of sports teams nearby like Flint does. I can see where it would be covered more in the Soo than in Flint.

Does Flint not have it's own local newspaper and websites? You have a much bigger population than the Soo and we have several.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
“I want to offer my most sincere and heartfelt apology to the Ontario Hockey League, the fans of the Flint Firebirds, the staff, my teammates, the entire Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound’s organization and anyone else who may have been offended for a derogatory comment I made towards an opposing player. This comment was made without premeditation or intent. I deeply regret making this comment. I am 100% supportive of the OHL Diversity policy and am willing to offer my services with any future initiatives in this most important area.â€

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Does Flint not have it's own local newspaper and websites? You have a much bigger population than the Soo and we have several.

Sure Flint does but he just described how many major sports teams compete for the print space. Think about it.

herc511

Dec 11, 2014
Sault Ste Marie
“I want to offer my most sincere and heartfelt apology to the Ontario Hockey League, the fans of the Flint Firebirds, the staff, my teammates, the entire Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound’s organization and anyone else who may have been offended for a derogatory comment I made towards an opposing player. This comment was made without premeditation or intent. I deeply regret making this comment. I am 100% supportive of the OHL Diversity policy and am willing to offer my services with any future initiatives in this most important area.â€

I believe everyone is not perfect, we all make mistakes. It takes a good person to admit to them. IMO we need to remember that these are young men, in the heat of a moment they are competing for the OHL title. They are frustrated or delighted that their team is winning or losing. Words are said by every player, mostly never herd by an official. I cant imagine how this young man feels, not being able to help his team compete!!

This series is far from over, enjoy watching the compete. Thanks Flint Fans!!!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015

Flint's one major newspaper only prints to the public a few days a week while both major Detroit papers are available to Flint area residents on a daily basis (with very very ltitle on the Firebirds). I live a couple hours away so I read the sports, headlines, and obituaries online.

Last edited:

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI

Everybody happy now? Good. On to Game 4

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016

As others have mentioned the local Flint Journal newspaper which publishes a print edition is only home delivered 4 days a week. Most of the news that is reported is usually two days old and can be read/viewed much sooner online or via TV. I have been to third world countries in which the newspaper coverage is much more up to date and informative than the Flint Journal.

Years ago during the period of the Flint Generals the Flint Journal had full time reporter(s) Len Hoyes and Brendan Savage who I am certain that others can vouch did an exceptional job of Flint hockey coverage.

I've provided a link below to all of the articles that have posted onto the Flint Journals website/page for the Firebirds. You will notice that most of the articles that are posted are by THE FLINT FIREBIRDS. If you look even closer the articles are just copies from Dominic Hennig (the Firebirds Director of Broadcasting and Communications) press releases who seems to be a "puppet" for Flint owner Rolf Nilsen and the executive team of Costa Papista and Terry Christensen.

For the most part their is no objectivity to the articles. You will also notice over the course of the season in games where the Firebirds did not perform well or in instances where it would seem to not shed a "good image" to the Firebirds organization there was no article.

http://topics.mlive.com/tag/ohlflint/

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Hennig is a puppet. He's an employee of the team, so you kind of have to expect it. The Greyhounds, like a lot of CHL teams are the big fish in a small pond. That's cool and it makes visiting those places more enjoyable but that will NEVER be the case with Flint. Red Wings, Lions, Tigers, Pistons, UofM football, UofM basketball, MSU football and MSU basketball are all going to be competing with them for space and coverage. Unless the Firebirds are looking at a long playoff run and/or have a major superstar on the roster, they're going to be far down that list of competing teams. I'm not sure any other OHL team has it quite as difficult in that respect. Saginaw/Erie/Windsor maybe. The Ontario teams surely aren't running headlines featuring NCAA stories.

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
We all appreciate your (and TCFlint's work on the Firebirds) work SFC. I know it's far from easy keeping all that stuff straight. Let's hope you're right and the OHL is wrong.

Let me add my appreciation to both SFC and TcFlint for all the good work and effort you put into like Savard18 said to keep things straight in regards to the OHL/Firebirds drafts picks.

If the league itself presents questionable information it's no wonder that there is confusion.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Thanks for the responses to my newspaper query. There are certainly a lot of sports teams in the area, but I would hope that the Firebirds get more media coverage as the team gets a foothold in the hearts of sports fans. They are an exciting team that has the luxury of some compelling rivalries within the division. The matchups with the Hounds have been some of the best in the OHL this season.

In regards to NCAA coverage, there are stories in Ontario papers. At times, the majority of Lakers players and fans are from North of the border.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-sports/lakers-clinch-wcha-playoff-spot-546204

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
I hope that most Firebirds fans know enough about hockey to not say this series is over because the Hounds are up 2-1 and Moore is suspended. Boggled my mind when some of our fans said this. I think the series can easily go to game 7 and it is a toss-up who will come out the winner. Too many focus on where the two teams ended up in the standings rather than on the season series between the two teams which was a draw....3 wins each. I'm sure not prepared to get the celebratory wine bottle uncorked.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It's a 7 seed with a rookie head coach playing 4 16yo's and 8 OHL rookies while missing their #1 center and a 2nd line Winger against a 2 seed playing quite a few NHL draftees and a couple soon to be drafted. If it's close it's not because it should be.

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo
It's a 7 seed with a rookie head coach playing 4 16yo's and 8 OHL rookies while missing their #1 center and a 2nd line Winger against a 2 seed playing quite a few NHL draftees and a couple soon to be drafted. If it's close it's not because it should be.

You're right...it SHOULDN'T be close. Nevertheless, over the years I've seen many "top" teams have their hands full both during the season and the playoffs with "lower tier" teams. Theoretically the Hounds should have handily swept the season series against Flint...instead we swept London. Hockey results so often don't make sense!!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I hope that most Firebirds fans know enough about hockey to not say this series is over because the Hounds are up 2-1 and Moore is suspended. Boggled my mind when some of our fans said this. I think the series can easily go to game 7 and it is a toss-up who will come out the winner. Too many focus on where the two teams ended up in the standings rather than on the season series between the two teams which was a draw....3 wins each. I'm sure not prepared to get the celebratory wine bottle uncorked.

We have had minor league Pro Hockey for over 40 years (mostly in the IHL) and several years of Junion Hockey. We know it is not over, until it is over. However, losing your very top scorer changs the dynamics considerably. The Soo has way more depth than we do. The only way it goes 7 in my opinion is if Flint wins tonight. We shall see what happens.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
CORRECTION: Not sure what to believe anymore! The OHL Site has restored Flint's picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Here is what they have as of today 3/29/17 at 7:09pm:

1st Rnd 10th Overall
2nd Rnd 28th
2nd Rnd 30th
3rd Rnd 49th
4th Rnd 66th
4th Rnd 68th
4th Rnd 74th
4th Rnd 77th
5th Rnd ----
6th Rnd ----
7th Rnd 129th
7th Rnd 139th
8th Rnd 150th
9th Rnd 170th
10th Rnd 190th
11th Rnd 210th
12th Rnd ----
13th Rnd 250th
14th Rnd 270th
15th Rnd 290th

Check the OHL Site throughout the next week to see if it has changed again. Between teaching classes today, I went back over Flint's transactions the past 2 years and could not for the life of me see why Barrie and Niagara were awarded Flint's 2nd and 3rd rnd. picks.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Theoretically, Flint should be able to add 4 of the 50 best 16 year old players available for next year. Sounds good to me!:yo:

I am going to assume now that Hicks will be the man invited back next year for his OA season. And hoping they find a solid rookie goaltender with one of those first 8 picks who is willing to report.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Theoretically, Flint should be able to add 4 of the 50 best 16 year old players available for next year. Sounds good to me!:yo:

Sounds good to me too. Windsor has to pass on their 3rd Pick because of previous sanctions, so if I am not mistaken, Flint will have the 49th overall pick (which is our restored 3rd Rnd Pick).

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Still have import too

And the under 18 draft or whatever it is. I've seen a few boards mention they think they will land 1 guy that would be worth a roster spot at least.

"To enhance opportunities specifically for goaltenders, should an OHL Member Team select a goaltender with one of their selections, the club has the option to select another player (skater only). An additional round will be added to facilitate the drafting of any additional skaters utilizing the same selection order and process."

So maybe they find a late blooming goalie here as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad