Flint Firebirds 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
How many players is Flint losing next year

100%
Peters
Henderson
E. Clark

More then likely, both 19 and signed.
Sherwood
Smereck

Other 19 year olds
Moore
Colella
Kirwan
Hicks*
Forrest*

Both goalies are 19 now, so 1 of Hicks or Forrest I would assume is gone.
Moore had a great year, could sign somewhere after the season.

I could see Colella coming back for an OA year.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I would not be surprised if Colella and Kirwan were back plus Hicks. I hope Ryan Moore us back, but he could tryout for a ECHL or AHL team. More than likely losing our top 2 scores and top 2 defensmen.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I wanted to rewatch the game on tv before posting, but I'm just not gonna have time. It appears Hicks is locked in as the guy for whatever is left of this year and next. I thought it was a mistake going into the playoffs and I still do. I thought a couple of those goals were weak last night and he should have been pulled. He's big, plays the angles well and challenges the shooter but he lacks the athleticism and lateral movement of Forrest. I'm sure his stats for this series are less than stellar. He's not bad and I don't hate the idea of him being the guy next year, but he wouldn't be my choice. I have a feeling that Kirwan's career in hockey is probably done. I wouldn't expect him to return unfortunately. 13 goals in his first 17 games this year showed his potential and he is sorely missed on this roster. Cullen Mercer quitting doesn't help either. I'd bet on Hicks, Smereck and Colella returning with a slim chance of Ryan Moore. Depending on what they do with Steinocher who has looked improved playing as a F, and whether or not they can get Vesalainen to report, they may not use an import pick. They won't find an upgrade on Vesalainen if they can sway him to play in the states.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I am going to assume now that Hicks will be the man invited back next year for his OA season...

Actually, been hearing that Forrest is the more likely of the two to return, for a couple of different reasons.

My bets for OA returnees:
-Colella
-Forrest
-Smereck, or a veteran not currently on the roster who can provide help on what will be a young/inexperienced D-core. Peters, Henderson and Smereck (potentially) being gone opens up about 75 minutes of ice time per game.

I'm betting Moore gets a pro gig after the year that he's had. Kirwan, sadly, looks to be done due to repeated concussions, and also has a father in very poor health at home in NY that he may want to be close to.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
And the under 18 draft or whatever it is. I've seen a few boards mention they think they will land 1 guy that would be worth a roster spot at least.

"To enhance opportunities specifically for goaltenders, should an OHL Member Team select a goaltender with one of their selections, the club has the option to select another player (skater only). An additional round will be added to facilitate the drafting of any additional skaters utilizing the same selection order and process."

So maybe they find a late blooming goalie here as well.
Not sure that this process is going to bear much fruit. Aren't they just drafting guys that they could have tried out as free agents anyway? Really just a way to keep London from getting all the good ones...

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Not sure that this process is going to bear much fruit. Aren't they just drafting guys that they could have tried out as free agents anyway? Really just a way to keep London from getting all the good ones...

If they get one of these guys (maybe a kid who scored 25-30 goals or a steady defenseman) are they counted as one of your rookies? How many rookies can be kept?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
If they get one of these guys (maybe a kid who scored 25-30 goals or a steady defenseman) are they counted as one of your rookies? How many rookies can be kept?
If I'm thinking correctly, "rookies" are no problem, you can have as many as you want (Flint had 8 or 9 this year). The limit is on 16-year-old players. You can only have 4 on your roster...the first two that you draft, and then any two of the others.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

Like I said, looking at some of the other teams threads, they think they should get 1 serviceable player from this thing.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
With Flint losing Sherwood, probably Moore, Kirwan, Peters, Henderson, Clark, maybe Smereck, and anyone else who may decide not to come back, or that Flint doesn't invite back, I would not be surprised if Flint made a selection. PS: playoff game in the Soo tonight televised at about ten Flint area pubs and restaurants. Good luck Firebirds.

Last edited:

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I wanted to rewatch the game on tv before posting, but I'm just not gonna have time. It appears Hicks is locked in as the guy for whatever is left of this year and next. I thought it was a mistake going into the playoffs and I still do. I thought a couple of those goals were weak last night and he should have been pulled. He's big, plays the angles well and challenges the shooter but he lacks the athleticism and lateral movement of Forrest. I'm sure his stats for this series are less than stellar. He's not bad and I don't hate the idea of him being the guy next year, but he wouldn't be my choice. I have a feeling that Kirwan's career in hockey is probably done. I wouldn't expect him to return unfortunately. 13 goals in his first 17 games this year showed his potential and he is sorely missed on this roster. Cullen Mercer quitting doesn't help either. I'd bet on Hicks, Smereck and Colella returning with a slim chance of Ryan Moore. Depending on what they do with Steinocher who has looked improved playing as a F, and whether or not they can get Vesalainen to report, they may not use an import pick. They won't find an upgrade on Vesalainen if they can sway him to play in the states.

Would Lve for him to report but there's a reason why he lasted til the 2nd round

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Only way Vesalainen shows is if the NHL team that drafts him tells him that Flint and the OHL is where they want him to be playing.

His stats are not jumping out at me. Is he still considered a 1st round selection?

Max1045

Mar 23, 2017
Thank You Genesee County

Firebirds Fans

Thank You for your support over the season.

I also enjoyed talking and working with the local high school teams. KBH, Davidson, Grand Blank, and the Flint inter city youth hockey program.

I also can't forget the Flint motor cycle club ice races. That was an all nigher shaving down the ice to get it back to hockey level. That is why there was the blue paper on the ice so i know when we got back to hockey ice.

Again Thank You Genesee County.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Firebirds Fans

Thank You for your support over the season.

I also enjoyed talking and working with the local high school teams. KBH, Davison, Grand Blanc, and the Flint inter city youth hockey program.

I also can't forget the Flint motor cycle club ice races. That was an all nigher shaving down the ice to get it back to hockey level. That is why there was the blue paper on the ice so i know when we got back to hockey ice.

Again Thank You Genesee County.

You are welcome, but remember, if Flint wins tonight in the Soo, we will have another home game on Sunday at 4pm.

Max1045

Mar 23, 2017
You are welcome, but remember, if Flint wins tonight in the Soo, we will have another home game on Sunday at 4pm.

Yes I know it would be great but as i am typing the soo just scored with 15:09 of the 2 period. Now they just scored 13: 33 soo 5 flint 1 .

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Yes I know it be great but as i am typing the soo just scored with 15:09 of the 2 period.

Four goals in about 2 minutes now. The Firebirds battled hard, but just didn't have the depth. Very entertaining series.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Looks like the season is over. 6-1 Greyhounds in the 2nd. Very good regular season after what we went through last season. One can now speculate if trading some of the draft stock we had for 1 year rentals was worth it. I can see both sides.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
If Forrest doesn't see the ice, the only thing I can think of is he is hurt.

He's not. I know that for sure. He's been ready to go and why he was never given a shot is beyond me. Watch how slow Hicks is following cross ice passes tonight. It was bad last game and even worse tonight.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Looks like the season is over. 6-1 Greyhounds in the 2nd. Very good regular season after what we went through last season. One can now speculate if trading some of the draft stock we had for 1 year rentals was worth it. I can see both sides.

Me too. There's 8 rookies on that bench and this year is gonna benefit them greatly. The only one I'm really questioning is CJ Clarke. Smereck and Sherwood were expensive but I can see them being somewhat worth it.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
To Hicks' credit, he has been jaw droppingly good in the third period, about 8 or 10 spectacular saves. It seems like he just lost focus in the second period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad