Flint Firebirds 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Whatever you say boss.

The fans on the London board didn't complain about it as much as everybody else has. I wonder how many actually saw the Sherwood hit. I get the league being tough on verbal abuse, and sure throw out game misconducts, but suspensions will always seem a bit much to me. I could throw out slurs and derogatory comments a white guy from Ontario would have no idea what they meant. So it's a bit like saying "THIS will get you suspended, but we can't tell you exactly what "THIS" is" You know refs have heard stuff and let it slide all season long. Then to suspend a team's leading scorer for the remainder of a playoff series seems awfully harsh. Refs were Pat Myers, and Brett Montsion. Linesmen were Stacy Jackson and Troy Miller.

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London
The fans on the London board didn't complain about it as much as everybody else has. I wonder how many actually saw the Sherwood hit. I get the league being tough on verbal abuse, and sure throw out game misconducts, but suspensions will always seem a bit much to me. I could throw out slurs and derogatory comments a white guy from Ontario would have no idea what they meant. So it's a bit like saying "THIS will get you suspended, but we can't tell you exactly what "THIS" is" You know refs have heard stuff and let it slide all season long. Then to suspend a team's leading scorer for the remainder of a playoff series seems awfully harsh. Refs were Pat Myers, and Brett Montsion. Linesmen were Stacy Jackson and Troy Miller.
I agree with you like 5 games for that it is harsh i say 1 or 2 be good

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
Birds sure could have used their top scorer tonight......

0-8 on the power play......

a stupid holding penalty late in the game turned out to be the difference in the game......

an anemic 3rd period being outshot 12-4

As on Saturday, give full credit to the visitors for playing the better game.

Dogs now up 2-1 and recapture home ice advantage.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Don't think DWI Dale(?)'s post needed to be removed. I get it and it wasn't so offensive. Were you in the house or could you hear the college kids on tv? I hate that stuff from college kids at NCAA games but out of its environment I don't seem to mind. I like the college kids showing up and doing their thing. I'm assuming it's a bit unique to the O. Better hope Raaymakers doesn't revert to regular season form. Anyway, we can complain about the refs, but it's the OHL and we know it's gonna be inconsistent and YES, the Greyhounds are playing like hacks. Why shouldn't they? Flint can't do anything about it and with Moore gone for the series they probably won't be. If I know a team has nothing going on the PP, I'm gonna walk that line and cross it all night/series until they prove otherwise. Connor got a couple lucky bounces but looked good. Flint's gonna need to figure some offense out quick because with that short bench I can see them wearing down already. On to Wednesday, and hopefully another really well attended weeknight performance.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The OHL now has the draft order listed for the 2017 Priority Selection. ScoresFromCenter has updated his draft pick data base. It was off by a few picks. You can delete a 2nd round and 3rd round pick from Flint and add a 4th if you're keeping track. I'm not certain that those Niagara 2nd's and that Missy 2nd down the road are free of conditions either. Flint isn't hurting for picks but they are not stockpiled any longer. When it comes time to go for a championship they are going to have to put themselves in the position Erie and Windsor are currently facing.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Just my 2 cents on the Moore situation.

I think it's unfortunate that this had to happen in a playoff series. We all want the best players on the ice for both teams, especially considering the high price of tickets!

I've seen doubt in this thread about whether Moore actually said anything and I can put that debate to rest. You could hear him loud and clear in the stands and there was no ambiguity in his statement. I think 5 games is awfully harsh for a heat of the moment statement and I hope that the league reevaluates it's policy. That being said, I don't see what else could have been done. It's been 5 games every single time for a long time, no exceptions.

I cringe every time I see my fellow Hounds fans use this league bias excuse and I hope that this incident puts it to rest for good. A couple of questionable non-suspensions on Sherwood were never enough to make any conclusions (the Hounds just had one with MacIntyre). The league is no stranger to systematic bias in favour big market teams like London, but the connection with Flint was always dubious and I hope that it dies now.

Anyways, your Firebirds have been the (much) better team for 2 of the 3 games now and it's a hell of a series. Good luck the rest of the way and enjoy this great series!

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Just my 2 cents on the Moore situation.

I think it's unfortunate that this had to happen in a playoff series. We all want the best players on the ice for both teams, especially considering the high price of tickets!

I've seen doubt in this thread about whether Moore actually said anything and I can put that debate to rest. You could hear him loud and clear in the stands and there was no ambiguity in his statement. I think 5 games is awfully harsh for a heat of the moment statement and I hope that the league reevaluates it's policy. That being said, I don't see what else could have been done. It's been 5 games every single time for a long time, no exceptions.

I cringe every time I see my fellow Hounds fans use this league bias excuse and I hope that this incident puts it to rest for good. A couple of questionable non-suspensions on Sherwood were never enough to make any conclusions (the Hounds just had one with MacIntyre). The league is no stranger to systematic bias in favour big market teams like London, but the connection with Flint was always dubious and I hope that it dies now.

Anyways, your Firebirds have been the (much) better team for 2 of the 3 games now and it's a hell of a series. Good luck the rest of the way and enjoy this great series!

Ill be honest, I think 5 games is fine. Yes it was a heat of the moment thing but coming from someone who is a visible minority who has a gay brother, there are like 50,000 other things you can say in that moment and you chose something that could be a very personal attack. I've been called derogatory terms on the ice, on the field, and until you've been in that position you have no idea how crappy it really is. Seen my brother go threw it on the ice, and on the field too. Again you have thousands of other things you can call/say in that position.

I feel for Ryan Moore, I am a fan of this and will continue to be a fan. And will continue to root for the Firebirds. I just hope he takes this seriously. We've all said things in the heat of the moment.

Just my 2 cents.

Go Firebirds.

Just so you know Most OHL Fans I'm talking too these days are pulling for you guys this series.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Ill be honest, I think 5 games is fine. Yes it was a heat of the moment thing but coming from someone who is a visible minority who has a gay brother, there are like 50,000 other things you can say in that moment and you chose something that could be a very personal attack. I've been called derogatory terms on the ice, on the field, and until you've been in that position you have no idea how crappy it really is. Seen my brother go threw it on the ice, and on the field too. Again you have thousands of other things you can call/say in that position.

I feel for Ryan Moore, I am a fan of this and will continue to be a fan. And will continue to root for the Firebirds. I just hope he takes this seriously. We've all said things in the heat of the moment.

Just my 2 cents.

Go Firebirds.

Just so you know Most OHL Fans I'm talking too these days are pulling for you guys this series.

I apologize if my statement came off as diminishing the struggles that homosexuals face in sports. I like that the league takes a tough stance on it and educates players. I just think that the 5 game rule could be flexible based on what was said and to who rather than a blanket suspension.

Since I heard what Moore said, I feel that he mistakenly used inappropriate words as a generic insult. I didn't perceive a personal attack. It's just (unfortunately) everyday stuff that a straight guy like MacIntyre wouldn't give a second thought. It's still suspension worthy, but a lot different than if a Hounds player skated up to Smereck and used a racial slur or something. That type of stuff and the things your brother went through are worthy of lifetime bans in some cases.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I apologize if my statement came off as diminishing the struggles that homosexuals face in sports. I like that the league takes a tough stance on it and educates players. I just think that the 5 game rule could be flexible based on what was said and to who rather than a blanket suspension.

Since I heard what Moore said, I feel that he mistakenly used inappropriate words as a generic insult. I didn't perceive a personal attack. It's just (unfortunately) everyday stuff that a straight guy like MacIntyre wouldn't give a second thought. It's still suspension worthy, but a lot different than if a Hounds player skated up to Smereck and used a racial slur or something. That type of stuff and the things your brother went through are worthy of lifetime bans in some cases.

Oh no, I would never think you would say something that would diminish the struggles. I find myself often agreeing with your posts and find that you are one of the cooler heads on the board.

I hear what you're saying for sure. I'd even be fine if the suspension for using the slur that more used was on the list of buy back suspensions in the playoffs. I can't imagine to many GM's or Owners being happy to buy back that suspension so there would be some dialogue between them and the player to make sure a lesson was learned. Supplemental team discipline.

I just feel like 5 games is fine. Believe me, I think it sucks especially for teams to be missing their best players. I am just thinking about that one time it does happen to that one player that may be struggling. After reading former OHL Player Brock McGillis story, I wouldn't wish any of that on anyone.

I understand both sides. I understand why some think that the suspension might be harsh, too much. I also understand the side that feels 5 games is fine or might not be enough.

What kind of change to the rule would you propose? I'd be open to hear some suggestions. Keep in mind, players like Anthony De Angelo probably prevented any changes to the rule ever happening. Think he got canned twice or 3 times for it. Including team discipline.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Back in the day, the OHL suspended James Wisniewski for calling Stefan Ruzicka of the Attack a "Euro" lol... and no, I did not make this stuff up folks.

Jonas Fielder was suspended for the same thing... And Jonas was European.

I have gay friends who don't think "*****" is worth five games. If that is what he said. "SaD" is a homophobic slur i suppose. My whole roller hockey league would be serving 5 games in the O...

I feel like the Moore suspension kinda is the OHL jabbing at Flint for the debacle last season. How "suspended" is Rolf? Saw him at the WFCU in Windsor a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Just wrote out an extensive post about the Moore suspension but I'm not going to post it. The stupidity of a 5 game suspension for using a slur speaks for itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Oh no, I would never think you would say something that would diminish the struggles. I find myself often agreeing with your posts and find that you are one of the cooler heads on the board.

I hear what you're saying for sure. I'd even be fine if the suspension for using the slur that more used was on the list of buy back suspensions in the playoffs. I can't imagine to many GM's or Owners being happy to buy back that suspension so there would be some dialogue between them and the player to make sure a lesson was learned. Supplemental team discipline.

I just feel like 5 games is fine. Believe me, I think it sucks especially for teams to be missing their best players. I am just thinking about that one time it does happen to that one player that may be struggling. After reading former OHL Player Brock McGillis story, I wouldn't wish any of that on anyone.

I understand both sides. I understand why some think that the suspension might be harsh, too much. I also understand the side that feels 5 games is fine or might not be enough.

What kind of change to the rule would you propose? I'd be open to hear some suggestions. Keep in mind, players like Anthony De Angelo probably prevented any changes to the rule ever happening. Think he got canned twice or 3 times for it. Including team discipline.

I think that for a first time offender, a 2 game suspension and education may be a more appropriate baseline. Discipline can be ramped up if it becomes a more serious issue like with DeAngelo. As stated earlier, I think most would agree that this case wasn't a malicious personal attack. The biggest problem was the fans hearing it.

I remember everyone (including myself) using some gay slurs in elementary school when I really had no idea that they hurt anyone. That's changing now as society changes and I hope that this becomes less of a problem in the league over time.

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI
Impression from last night was both goaltenders played very well. Birds played real well through 2 periods. Another terrific shot from goon Sherwood (still makes me laugh), but how at least 2 of our guys left Gettinger alone in front with enough time to eat a sandwich is a mystery (was like watching in slo-mo: Guys, guys, guys....). 3rd period not good. Absolutely nothing moving in neutral zone. Moore being out hurts the chances, no doubt, but still thing Flint has a shot whenever they play this team. We'll see what happens Wednesday night

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Impression from last night was both goaltenders played very well. Birds played real well through 2 periods. Another terrific shot from goon Sherwood (still makes me laugh), but how at least 2 of our guys left Gettinger alone in front with enough time to eat a sandwich is a mystery (was like watching in slo-mo: Guys, guys, guys....). 3rd period not good. Absolutely nothing moving in neutral zone. Moore being out hurts the chances, no doubt, but still thing Flint has a shot whenever they play this team. We'll see what happens Wednesday night

I thought the Birds looked wore out in the third. No jump losing all the races to the puck. I think they are shortening the bench and wearing out their best players. They aren't deep on offense like the hounds so losing Moore forced them to shorten things up even more and it really showed in the third.

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
From the Sault Star - Monday, March 27 (link to full article below)

“A mistake was made, he knows it’s costly but it’s absolutely out of character for this young man,” said Burnett, a former NHL head coach and best known in the OHL as the long-time head coach of the Belleville Bulls. “He’s very upset about this. We understand the rules. As an organization, we don’t condone it and the league doesn’t.”

http://www.saultstar.com/2017/03/27/ryan-moore-gets-five-game-suspension

As of now, no sign of any response publicly on any of the media outlets (TV, Radio, Newspaper or Internet) from here in Flint.

The Firebirds organization owes a public response via Flint media to the fans who have supported this team. Fans who attended last nights game were asking where is Ryan Moore? Why isn't the teams best player not playing?

It is inexcusable for Dominic Hennig to wait until 15 minutes left in the game to give some sort of reason as to Moore's status. But then again, it leaves the impression that Hennig is just a puppet being told from the Firebirds executive team as to what and what not to say. My god, this organization can't even keep a steady person to handle the color duties of Firebirds broadcasts.

In addition, various pre-game and post-game interviews were done on local Flint TV with no mention of the Moore suspension.

It will be just another blow to the OHL in Flint if this suspension will be remembered as the turning point for Flint's first venture into the playoffs.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

“A mistake was made, he knows it’s costly but it’s absolutely out of character for this young man,†said Burnett, a former NHL head coach and best known in the OHL as the long-time head coach of the Belleville Bulls. “He’s very upset about this. We understand the rules. As an organization, we don’t condone it and the league doesn’t.â€

As of now, no sign of any response publicly on any of the media outlets (TV, Radio, Newspaper or Internet) from here in Flint.

The Firebirds organization owes a public response via Flint media to the fans who have supported this team. Fans who attended last nights game were asking where is Ryan Moore? Why isn't the teams best player not playing?

It is inexcusable for Dominic Hennig to wait until 15 minutes left in the game to give some sort of reason as to Moore's status. But then again, it leaves the impression that Hennig is just a puppet being told from the Firebirds executive team as to what and what not to say. My god, this organization can't even keep a steady person to handle the color duties of Firebirds broadcasts.

In addition, various pre-game and post-game interviews were done on local Flint TV with no mention of the Moore suspension.

It will be just another blow to the OHL in Flint if this suspension will be remembered as the turning point for Flint's first venture into the playoffs.

I don't remember anything being said about Jalen suspension, I don't remember anything being said about Sherwood's.

I feel Jalens was much worse and much more malicious on his part. He definitely deserved his 5 games.

Neither of them apologized for anything, I don't expect Moore to say anything either.

Flintstone

Mar 28, 2017
I don't remember anything being said about Jalen suspension, I don't remember anything being said about Sherwood's.

I feel Jalens was much worse and much more malicious on his part. He definitely deserved his 5 games.

Neither of them apologized for anything, I don't expect Moore to say anything either.

I don't know what Jalen did to get his suspension. Never saw anything happen that night when I was there.

But wasn't Ryan Moore one of the kids who wanted to be traded before the year started? Instead he stuck it out here and had one heck of a season. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching him play. It's a really crappy way to most likely have his Firebirds career and junior hockey career come to an end this way. He doesn't owe us anything, and to get on here ranting about the franchise owes us something and Ryan Moore owes us something is just ridiculous.

People make mistakes every day. I know I do. Sounds like CJ wants the kid crucified for it, that is nonsense. I won't hold any ill will towards the kid or the franchise. Stuff happens and then you move on.

It's going to be an uphill battle for sure, but here is to hoping Flint some how rallies and wins this series and we get to see Ryan Moore in round 2 wearing the Firebirds sweater!

Go Firebirds!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
OHL Draft Pick Database was wrong, so therefore mine was wrong. The database has now been corrected. Not quite sure how we lost our own 2nd round pick and our 3rd round pick but we did. We now have:

1st Rnd 10th
2nd Rnd 28th
3rd Rnd ----
4th Rnd 66th
4th Rnd 68th
4th Rnd 74th
4th Rnd 77th
5th Rnd ----
6th Rnd ----
7th Rnd 129th
7th Rnd 139th
8th Rnd 150th
9th Rnd 170th
10th Rnd 190th
11th Rnd 210th
12th Rnd ----
13th Rnd 250th
14th Rnd 270th
15th Rnd 290th

I challenge anyone who still says we have a hoard of draft picks the next few years and that we are sitting well. This is not the case.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Sucks the picks have dwindled but I think Wismer and Uba make the team next year..maybe 1 or 2 more also

malarkey

Oct 13, 2013
The Soo

“A mistake was made, he knows it’s costly but it’s absolutely out of character for this young man,†said Burnett, a former NHL head coach and best known in the OHL as the long-time head coach of the Belleville Bulls. “He’s very upset about this. We understand the rules. As an organization, we don’t condone it and the league doesn’t.â€

The Hounds may often not be happy with what media says but it is a rare instance where something is kept from the fans. It's all over the paper and on-line local news sites. Anybody who has lived in the Soo knows that it is virtually impossible to keep anything secret for long.

Being silent on disciplinary issues is NOT the way to build up trust between a community and a team. Something as important as key players being out of the line-up needs to be honestly and in a timely manner communicated to the fans.

Hope it works out in Flint. The I-75 teams are great rivals for the Soo and a lot easier to get to than places like Erie!!!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The Hounds may often not be happy with what media says but it is a rare instance where something is kept from the fans. It's all over the paper and on-line local news sites. Anybody who has lived in the Soo knows that it is virtually impossible to keep anything secret for long.

Being silent on disciplinary issues is NOT the way to build up trust between a community and a team. Something as important as key players being out of the line-up needs to be honestly and in a timely manner communicated to the fans.

Hope it works out in Flint. The I-75 teams are great rivals for the Soo and a lot easier to get to than places like Erie!!!

Flint is within 60 minutes from Detroit (Red Wings, Pistons, Tigers, Lions), Ann Arbor (University of Michigan), Saginaw (Saginaw Spirit), and East Lansing (Michigan St. University). It can be challenging to get an article in the paper, but the tv stations do give good coverage. Sault Ste. Marie does not have that diversity of sports teams nearby like Flint does. I can see where it would be covered more in the Soo than in Flint.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Sucks the picks have dwindled but I think Wismer and Uba make the team next year..maybe 1 or 2 more also

With a 1st a 2nd and four 4ths, I would get a couple good centerman or wingers with the 1st and 2nd rnd picks, and concentrate on goaltending and defense in the 4th rnd. Keyser was a 4th round pick, so I am hoping we can find another gem for between the pipes in the 4th.

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016

I agree with you 100% on being silent on disciplinary issues is NOT the way to build up trust between a community and a team. After what this franchise went thru last season with coach firings, player revolt, fines, suspensions and then the eventual takeover of the club by the OHL one would think that management would attempt to re-establish some of that trust lost by being upfront and honest with its fans. When a key player all of a sudden is missing from the lineup fans deserve an answer. For if it was not for the fans, there would be no Flint Firebirds.

And as for Ryan Moore, I posted in a earlier post that Ryan Moore is a good kid who made a stupid mistake. We are all human and have made mistakes in our lives. I'm the first to admit to that. I have learned from the mistakes that I have made to make myself a better person and I am certain that Ryan will do likewise. I want to personally thank Ryan for the season that he had in Flint this year and wish him the best in his future endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad