Flint Firebirds 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Previous arena owners/teams sold 400 standing room tickets. I suspect Nilsen/Papista and company will do the same, making the Dort Federal Event Center one of the smaller in the OHL at a total capacity (including standing room) at 4,400. Who is smaller in the "O"?

I think only Owen Sound although I think a lot of arenas are right around 4500.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint will have 5 of their NHL draft picks participating in their Blue and White Scrimmage on Tuesday September 2nd. One of those listed as a participant will be New Jersey Devils 3rd round draft pick LW Connor Chatham. This is the first I have seen that he may be playing in Flint. Just checking to see if any Plymouth Whaler or OHL fans could tell me about Connor? Thank you in advance.

JJJMac

Apr 18, 2014
Just a little of what you can expect from Zach Grzelewski

Kid never takes a shift off and competes for all 200ft of ice. Good skater, good shot, also good on the puck pursuit portion of the game. He should fit in nicely into the Firebirds top 9, whereas in London I doubt he would have cracked their top 14 at forward. Very nice addition and I wish the kid well..I like his game.

Another reason for the addition of Grzelewski was his line mate in the GOJHL (before he became a full-time player with the Knights) was Dane Johnstone. The pair played very well together.

CBJWhaler

Jan 10, 2013
Livonia, Michigan
Just checking to see if any Plymouth Whaler or OHL fans could tell me about Connor? Thank you in advance.

Call me crazy but I think if Chatham didn't get shut down by NJ last year Plymouth sneeks into the 8 spot. My thoughts on Chatham he is a big kid who skates well for his size, can ply physical would like to see him in front of the net more, but he can put the puck in the net. If he is in Flint next year that will be good for Flint.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Call me crazy but I think if Chatham didn't get shut down by NJ last year Plymouth sneeks into the 8 spot. My thoughts on Chatham he is a big kid who skates well for his size, can ply physical would like to see him in front of the net more, but he can put the puck in the net. If he is in Flint next year that will be good for Flint.

Good to hear CBJWhaler. I think Flint can be competitive with Chatham, Bitten, Ryan Moore, Dane Johnstone, and Grezelewski doing some of the scoring. Conpetitive, but still a ways away from being a playoff team. I do like having 5 NHL drafted players though. There is some talent. Just give us a couple years.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Nothing about McLeod or Kantner. A lot was about the birth of the Firebirds and Gruden's background. Coach Gruden did say they were expecting about 36 players in camp this Saturday and Sunday. There were several call-ins, and it was real easy to get connected at their website. Last I heard (last week), Matyas Kantner from the Czech Republic was expected at training camp. Of course their other import pick, Vili Saaijarvi from Finand has already signed with Flint.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Little surprised by the signing of D Hakon Nilsen, but then again he is the owners son and has decent size. He played for the Honeybake and Little Caesars teams in Detroit. If he is one of the top "7" defenseman in camp, then I will be all for it.

JJJMac

Apr 18, 2014
Yes very good article Macker. I really like Gryz. Kid can score. Just think he needs a chance to play in a regular spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad