Flint Firebirds 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The OHL Firebirds will be announcing their full staff tomorrow 3/26 at a 11am press conference. Word has it that the Coach and GM have been in place for a couple of weeks. The Head Coach has NHL experience and some solid Junior Hockey experience. Some will recognize his name when announced tomorrow. Solid first coach in my opinion. Not yet sure on the GM, but I hope he works out. Some older Flint Generals fans will recognize his name. PS: With the 3rd pick, I would be thrilled with McLeod, Tippett, or Vilardi.

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
Nick Stadjuhar....Jason Woolley....Mark Major....Ian Herbers.....Jason Mussatti?

Last edited:

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
From Twitter

Sean Lafortune ‏@SeanLafortune 17m 17 minutes ago
Assuming it's who we think, coach is a pretty smart hire. New to the OHL but experienced in coaching elite prospects.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
just a suggestion why not make this the Firebird's off season thread? Looks like a good start to it would only need to change the title.

EDIT: Welcome to the party Flint! The OHL is a blast have fun with your new team!

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
From Twitter

Sean Lafortune ‏@SeanLafortune 17m 17 minutes ago
Assuming it's who we think, coach is a pretty smart hire. New to the OHL but experienced in coaching elite prospects.

Hopefully, we will have some elite prospects for him to coach. I do not know much about him except what I have read and been told, , but I agree about it being a smart move.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Wow, really weird coming on here knowing I won't see Plymouth Whalers anymore.

Congrats on the new team Flint. Hopefully next season goes well!

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Sunaya Sapurji ‏@sunayas 6m
The Flint Firebirds have named Terry Christensen as GM & John Gruden head coach... not to be confused with Jon Gruden, who would be awesome.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
It turns out it only took a junior hockey team to lure Gruden away from ESPN.

Kidding aside it looks like two solid hires. Good job so far Firebirds!

I am definitely not convinced... An assistant with the USNDT to a head coach in the OHL. 2 very different games and styles. And you are not dealing with the cream of the US crop in one team (or the richest with some talent)
Christensen is gonna have his work cut out for him in the requirements of an OHL GM vs what he has been doing.
For Flints sake, hope they work out...

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
While I agree that its a good idea to have this as the Flint Firebirds thread I personally think the Plymouth season thread should have been kept open a tad longer than normal seeing as it was their last year and let their fans maybe talk a bit more as opposed to just shutting it down the day after they lose their team.

GFHL

Feb 25, 2015
FLINTown
@battfan888

Here's a better looking F for your Avatar. Let's just beat those Spirit Eagles.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I am definitely not convinced... An assistant with the USNDT to a head coach in the OHL. 2 very different games and styles. And you are not dealing with the cream of the US crop in one team (or the richest with some talent)
Christensen is gonna have his work cut out for him in the requirements of an OHL GM vs what he has been doing.
For Flints sake, hope they work out...

We shall see. Not all of those with a OHL background succeed either as coach or gm. At least Flint hired hockey people. With Gruden having worked with some of the countries elite prospects the last 4 seasons, I am not too worried, particularly with some of his good work in the world championships. I applaud the hiring of Plymouth's Assistant GM and their head scout (both from Ontario and with experience) as well. This should help GM Christensen some. However, no matter who took the Flint job was going to have their work cut-out for them. Now they can concentrate on the draft and hopefully draft one of the top Ontario prospects.

Last edited:

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
We shall see. Not all of those with a OHL background succeed either as coach or gm. At least Flint hired hockey people. With Gruden having worked with some of the countries elite prospects the last 4 seasons, I am not too worried, particularly with some of his good work in the world championships. I applaud the hiring of Plymouth's Assistant GM and their head scout (both from Ontario and with experience) as well. This should help GM Christensen some. However, no matter who took the Flint job was going to have their work cut-out for them. Now they can concentrate on the draft and hopefully draft one of the top Ontario prospects.

And just so you know, i am rooting for it to work in Flint!!!:nod::nod:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
And just so you know, i am rooting for it to work in Flint!!!:nod::nod:

Yes, I know. I would hope no one is rooting for us to fail, even our long-time IHL rivals 35 minutes away in Saginaw. However, I do agree, Christensen and Gruden will have their hands full trying to rite this ship. noobie1, who is your team of choice?

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Yes, I know. I would hope no one is rooting for us to fail, even our long-time IHL rivals 35 minutes away in Saginaw. However, I do agree, Christensen and Gruden will have their hands full trying to rite this ship. noobie1, who is your team of choice?

Personally, I am a long time Guelph Storm Fan... been there since the 91-92 Season apart from a few years away for University....
Most of all though, I am an OHL fan. I will go to an OHL game long before i spend money to go to an NHL, AHL, ECHL you name it game...
I find it is the most entertaining league for my money, high level of play and some serious talent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad