Confirmed with Link: Fleury re-signed (4 years, $23M, $5.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
:laugh:
And what exactly makes you think that?

Well, teams dress 2 goalies and if 1 is playing poorly, they change them. You can even do it during games!

But no seriously. I dunno how short MJ's hook is.
I hope it's a little shorter than DB's and i think it will be.
MJ doesn't strike me as a guy that cares about "feelings" too much. He wants to win.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
And what exactly makes you think that?

Ideally, they play both goalies a fair amount during the year, and if Greiss outplays Fleury, you put him in and trade MAF in the off-season.

It's the same sort of hyperbole that people use with Scuderi-- even at his current hit, some teams would trade for Fleury because he's marketable, he has had some good post-season runs (as well as terrible ones), he's young by goalie standards, and he's physically gifted.

Someone would take a flyer on him at the draft, no question, just like someone most likely will at least inquire about Scuderi for their post-season run/mentoring.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I have this nagging terror in the back of my mind that we're living in the end of human history due to climate change and political instability, but y'know, what professional game player my childhood team paid money to play a game is a close second.

I have this nagging terror in the back of my mind that we're living in the end of human history due to climate change and political instability, but y'know, riding my high horse on an internet message board and looking down on the peons that care about the hockey team this thread is associated with is a close second.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Just off the top of my head Thomas, Brodeur and Bryz. Every one of them are better than Fleury, because Fleury is the worst starter in the league.

Not a very strong argument with that list. Than Fleury is the worst in the league? Definitely not the best but come on with the hyperbole.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Well, teams dress 2 goalies and if 1 is playing poorly, they change them. You can even do it during games!

Exactly.

I get why some are disappointed but really, Fleury signing a contract does not mean ipso facto that he'll be on our roster next November.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I have this nagging terror in the back of my mind that we're living in the end of human history due to climate change and political instability, but y'know, riding my high horse on an internet message board and looking down on the peons that care about the hockey team this thread is associated with is a close second.

Welcome to the party! I see you're fashionably late, but we've still got some party hats if you want to try the self-reflection photo booth. Also the irony manhattans are great, and the bartender makes a really good margarita using only the finest tequilla and artisanal internet tears.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014

MJ doesn't strike me as a guy that cares about "feelings" too much. He wants to win.

Ideally, they play both goalies a fair amount during the year, and if Greiss outplays Fleury, you put him in and trade MAF in the off-season.

Please. For pretty much his entire career here, MAF has been treated like a baby. Not once was he criticized. After every colossal screw up, he got a new vote of confidence. Instead of having to prove himself in a contract year, we jump right out and resign him pretty much as soon as possible. How could anyone think that he will actually have to face fair competition now?

This signing is a giant "**** you" in Greiss' direction. I hope for his sake that he's traded. Let Zatkoff be the alibi backup when he's healthy.

I get why some are disappointed but really, Fleury signing a contract does not mean ipso facto that he'll be on our roster next November.

I really want to believe you but there's just no reason to. think that they even question his status as the starting goaltender.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Good post and thats the hope.
Team has to be better. Not just MAF.

Absolutely, team defense was an absolute joke under Bylsma. Fleury is not the only one who was effected. Look at how Letang, Despres, and (arguably) Scuderi played in Bylsma's system (or lack of system LOL). Letang turned the puck over twice a shift trying to make a flat footed breakout pass from the defensive zone corner to the far blueline. Despres made one simple mistake and he was driving back to WBS. Trying to make Rob Scuderi a puck moving defenseman is like trying to replace Sid with Craig Adams. It just so happens that Fleury is the last person everyone paid attention to before the puck went over the goal line. He was the easy scapegoat for people that do not know how hockey is supposed to work. I mean if Johnathan Quick was our goalie for the past 5 seasons, do people really believe he would have saved our a$$es all by himself with the way the rest of the team performed??? MAF is not the only defensive player on the ice, if you are expecting that then you expecting too much from any NHL goaltender not just Fleury.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't care if you believe me or not, no offense. :laugh: I'm not the one who makes the decisions, nor do I particularly care about Fleury (I think goaltending is particularly overrated as an ingredient for Cup runs, but that's a discussion for another thread).

I'm just outlining scenarios here and trying to look at the situation as logically as I can. In the end, I still have enough faith in the coach's word to believe that Mike Johnston's got total input on who he wants starting and who he wants in net.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
You do realize Cam Ward, Steve Mason, Ondrej Pevelec, Braden Holtby, Michal Neuvirth/Johnas Enroth, Ben Scrivens are all getting regular starts on NHL teams, right?

I also hope you're not serious about Thomas and The Bryz still being capable NHL goalies.

Cam Ward wouldn't be in the league if it wasn't for JR signing him to a terrible contract. JR sure loves to pay his goalies well......

Also I really hope the posters who say that this contract is tradeable are right because if Fleury sucks once again in the playoffs I'm not so sure teams will be lining up to take a chance on it. I guess we just have to hope Fleury has really turned it around.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Absolutely, team defense was an absolute joke under Bylsma. Fleury is not the only one who was effected. Look at how Letang, Despres, and (arguably) Scuderi played in Bylsma's system (or lack of system LOL). Letang turned the puck over twice a shift trying to make a flat footed breakout pass from the defensive zone corner to the far blueline. Despres made one simple mistake and he was driving back to WBS. Trying to make Rob Scuderi a puck moving defenseman is like trying to replace Sid with Craig Adams. It just so happens that Fleury is the last person everyone paid attention to before the puck went over the goal line. He was the easy scapegoat for people that do not know how hockey is supposed to work. I mean if Johnathan Quick was our goalie for the past 5 seasons, do people really believe he would have saved our a$$es all by himself with the way the rest of the team performed??? MAF is not the only defensive player on the ice, if you are expecting that then you expecting too much from any NHL goaltender not just Fleury.

Well there is a good counterpoint here - that Bylsma simply lost his mind over time and what you described was the end result of 4 years of awful goaltending performances. He was hard on the D because he couldn't be hard on the goalie.

I don't know how anyone could watch those Flyer and Islander games and tell me the problem was defense or system. When the puck is being shot into the net from behind the net with regularity.. i don't know how you can blame anyone else.

I really am dying to know what is going on behind the scenes with this team. Why Fleury is being so coddled and protected at the expense of everything else. It has to be one of the more fascinating sports stories.

If you think this is a good signing, i would suggest visiting other team's boards and see how they are reacting. I haven't read a single post that wasn't mocking the Penguins for resigning this guy. Everyone gets it.. except the front office and portion of the fan base.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I don't care if you believe me or not, no offense. :laugh: I'm not the one who makes the decisions, nor do I particularly care about Fleury (I think goaltending is particularly overrated as an ingredient for Cup runs, but that's a discussion for another thread).

I'm just outlining scenarios here and trying to look at the situation as logically as I can. In the end, I still have enough faith in the coach's word to believe that Mike Johnston's got total input on who he wants starting and who he wants in net.

The goaltending duel between Crawford and Quick during the WCF is one example.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014

Yeah, that was poorly worded, you're not the one making promises. :laugh:
I want to believe "it", but looking at the past, I do not have the same faith that you have. That's where most of my frustration regarding this situation comes from. Especially since I foolishly interpreted the signing of Greiss as an indicator of what will come.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess. It's done now.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Here is an interesting look at Bales' effect on Fleury so far:

8abgSmr.png

via @MikeDarnay

One year isn't a lot of data, but it does seem heartening that bales does appear to have smoothed out some of the truly terrible games. I think it is this possible improvement with no raise in actual salary while a medium term to wait for Murray or jarry that appeals to the pens.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

Ctrl + f "Vokoun" not found. How did he do under the madness of Bylsma et al.?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The goaltending duel between Crawford and Quick during the WCF is one example.

I didn't watch this year's playoffs (was too busy with university stuff), but I remember noticing that in the box scores. So, I'm not going to delve into that, but yeah, there's lots of series out there that are not won by four 1-goal games. In the end, my concerns for our playoffs rest more on our top 9 than anything defensive. :thumbu:

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
One year isn't a lot of data, but it does seem heartening that bales does appear to have smoothed out some of the truly terrible games. I think it is this possible improvement with no raise in actual salary while a medium term to wait for Murray or jarry that appeals to the pens.

Yeah, looks like he brought Fleury some stability.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, that was poorly worded, you're not the one making promises. :laugh:
I want to believe "it", but looking at the past, I do not have the same faith that you have. That's where most of my frustration regarding this situation comes from. Especially since I foolishly interpreted the signing of Greiss as an indicator of what will come.

Except we're barely an 1/8 of the way through the season. There's no way to tell what will come. I hear ya, but it's a little early to say this means anything for Greiss one way or the other, especially given how we're only just coming up to a part of the season where he'll get a lot of starts.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess. It's done now.

Right on. I've been poking fun at some of the over reactions here, but I can totally understand why people don't like the deal. I personally am pretty neutral on it.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Please. For pretty much his entire career here, MAF has been treated like a baby. Not once was he criticized. After every colossal screw up, he got a new vote of confidence. Instead of having to prove himself in a contract year, we jump right out and resign him pretty much as soon as possible. How could anyone think that he will actually have to face fair competition now?

This signing is a giant "**** you" in Greiss' direction. I hope for his sake that he's traded. Let Zatkoff be the alibi backup when he's healthy.

I really want to believe you but there's just no reason to. think that they even question his status as the starting goaltender.

Yes, by all means, let's trade Greiss because his feelings may be hurt (doubt it very much) or that this is a big **** you in his direction. Questionable timing for sure, length of contract too long on a goalie that has been very suspect in the playoffs. But I am not going to panic or overreact. New system with a new coach and a team that seems to playing much better in a defensively responsible manner. Very early to say it's ok but also way too early to panic.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Well there is a good counterpoint here - that Bylsma simply lost his mind over time and what you described was the end result of 4 years of awful goaltending performances. He was hard on the D because he couldn't be hard on the goalie.

I don't know how anyone could watch those Flyer and Islander games and tell me the problem was defense or system. When the puck is being shot into the net from behind the net with regularity.. i don't know how you can blame anyone else.

I really am dying to know what is going on behind the scenes with this team. Why Fleury is being so coddled and protected at the expense of everything else. It has to be one of the more fascinating sports stories.

If you think this is a good signing, i would suggest visiting other team's boards and see how they are reacting. I haven't read a single post that wasn't mocking the Penguins for resigning this guy. Everyone gets it.. except the front office and portion of the fan base.

Hey when the head coach puts you on an island, do you think it's possible to self destruct when you are trying to do too much? Dan Bylsma ruined this team in more ways than one. I have 5 years of examples if you want to hear them all, I have a little time on my hands. Recent example... Stadium Series verse the Blackhawks why were we trying to make that stupid stretch pass with 4 inches of snow on the ice? ...but I know, Fleury lost that game for us too!!! Good grief.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Hey when the head coach puts you on an island, do you think it's possible to self destruct when you are trying to do too much? Dan Bylsma ruined this team in more ways than one. I have 5 years of examples if you want to hear them all, I have a little time on my hands. Recent example... Stadium Series verse the Blackhawks why were we trying to make that stupid stretch pass with 4 inches of snow on the ice? ...but I know, Fleury lost that game for us too!!! Good grief.

Man, that game was embarrassing to watch.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010

A former goalie himself, Rutherford said Wednesday that he noticed a change in Fleury's game last season, his first with Bales.

“I really noticed his consistency,†Rutherford said. “I know he changed some of his offseason preparation, and it carried through the whole season.â€

That is why, shortly after taking office, Rutherford called Fleury and encouraged him to keep everything the same. Bales is a key part of the process. Fleury had never worked with a cutting-edge goalie coach. Gilles Meloche was more confidante than teacher.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/7084529-74/fleury-goalie-penguins#ixzz3IImQuoNs

Rutherford talking about fleury's last season. Kinda like some of us have been saying all along. The guy finally got a goalie coach with a clue. Not some idiot whispering puck luck stories in his ear.

*I* for one as a goalie myself, as someone who teaches kids the position and a general student of the position. No great claims of fame, just saying I read about goaling and I'm on the ice at least 3x every week either coaching or playing, so I feel like I probably have a bit more insight to the position then a casual fan.

I definitely notice Fleury's save selections have improved his play on the post in particular is better. He is absolutely more technically sound NOW then he was 2 years ago in the regular season. My biggest fear last season with him was that after he ended that one Jackets game badly what would we get the next game. The next game (for those who forget) He protected a 2-1 lead all the way and while did not see as many shots, he still had a .958 save % on 24 shots.

I for one would have waited but then thinking about it this makes perfect sense. Even if he does melt down this playoff run, you can still trade him off with that contract. But I'm hopeful that the best days are ahead for MAF.

Being Gene Malkovich

Feb 10, 2004
I only made it through 5 pages, so I'm sure (hopeful) that someone brought this up, but he isn't getting a raise. He made $5.75 last year and is making $5.75 this year. Of course the cap hit goes up, but so does the cap. The extra $750,000 will easily be made up with Craig Adams being jettisoned on a funeral pyre.

As always, the goaltender doesn't get fair credit when we win and gets all the blame when we lose.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I only made it through 5 pages, so I'm sure (hopeful) that someone brought this up, but he isn't getting a raise. He made $5.75 last year and is making $5.75 this year. Of course the cap hit goes up, but so does the cap. The extra $750,000 will easily be made up with Craig Adams being jettisoned on a funeral pyre.

As always, the goaltender doesn't get fair credit when we win and gets all the blame when we lose.

I definitely chortled. This thread has some honest-to-god gems in it, like this one. :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad