Confirmed with Link: Fleury re-signed (4 years, $23M, $5.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
A former goalie himself, Rutherford said Wednesday that he noticed a change in Fleury's game last season, his first with Bales.

Rutherford talking about fleury's last season. Kinda like some of us have been saying all along. The guy finally got a goalie coach with a clue. Not some idiot whispering puck luck stories in his ear.

*I* for one as a goalie myself, as someone who teaches kids the position and a general student of the position. No great claims of fame, just saying I read about goaling and I'm on the ice at least 3x every week either coaching or playing, so I feel like I probably have a bit more insight to the position then a casual fan.

I definitely notice Fleury's save selections have improved his play on the post in particular is better. He is absolutely more technically sound NOW then he was 2 years ago in the regular season. My biggest fear last season with him was that after he ended that one Jackets game badly what would we get the next game. The next game (for those who forget) He protected a 2-1 lead all the way and while did not see as many shots, he still had a .958 save % on 24 shots.

I for one would have waited but then thinking about it this makes perfect sense. Even if he does melt down this playoff run, you can still trade him off with that contract. But I'm hopeful that the best days are ahead for MAF.

Thanks for the insight.

I see Fleury the same as the team as a whole and the same as the other big names (Crosby, Malkin, Letang): sometimes with some weird mental stuff going on that leads to giving away games (Flyers, Dallas, Detroit this season), which they are aware of and want to work on.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Forget about whether JR should have waited longer to sign MAF. What this means is the Pens have MAF for four more years. If he plays great, he will not be traded. If he falls on his face during the playoffs, nobody would trade for him.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
It's not horrible. Although I wasn't particular in favor of him being re-signed. His playoff performance of last season was a sign of significant improvement. Having a reliable back-up will be needed as long as he is here.

This team has bigger issues that need to be addressed. Talent, size, and toughness are the main concerns. This team still needs to get tougher to prepare for the playoffs.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pretty much happy with it.

Fleury might have mental and pressure issues when they it's playoffs time, but he ain't the only one to blame those last years on run failures.

It's not much of a raise and he's barely 30, you won't find cheaper on the market, neither better goalie right now.

JR sure took care of this first, maybe to add some firepower next.

It is not a raise at all.

It is a pay cut.

A significant pay cut.

Not singling you out, but how HF fails to judge contracts in comparison models by cap hit at the time of signing rather than a straight dollar comparison that almost all seem to do is a real pet peeve of mine. It makes discussion and comparisons meaningless.

Fleury signed a 7 year $35 million contract in 2007, which started in 2008. The salary cap in 2008 was $56 million. That would make Fleury's contract just under 9% of the team cap.

Now jump to today's deal. $5.75 million per year starting next year. Currently the cap is $69 but reports are that the cap likely rises because of the television deal by $12 million next year ( Report: NHL Salary Cap Could Rise $12 Million by 2015-16

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/mad...llion-by-2015-16-262387121.html#ixzz3IIpPyLbh
Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook ). That would make the cap $81 million when Fleury's contract starts. The lowest that I have seen is $76 million, so let's use that fignure. $5.75 of $76 million is 7.5% of that lower cap hit number, and it could be an even lesser hit if the higher figure comes in and the cap does go up $12 million per team because of the new television contract as some have speculated.

If you compare that to Fleury's first contract, he would have signed a contract closer to $4 million per year rather than $5 million per year that he did.

So he took a pay cut, and not an insignificant one.

This analysis goes double for comparing players against one another. Saying that player X, who is better, is getting the same salary as player Y when X signed his deal five years ago and Y's begins next year is absolutely useless.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Whoa. Didn't see that coming.

Me neither! Was shocked to see it done so early.

Billy-->thread tools-->ignore this thread

This is going to be a disaster of histrionics for multiple reasons

Fixed, and, the biggest reason for which is 40% of the posts saying "O EM GEE guyz this is going ot be CRAZEE POPCORN FUNNEH!"

:laugh:

I like it but who gives a turkey what I think.

I wouldn't give you mah turkeh because it's November and you're not family, but I would give you a baker's dozen from Tim Hortons. Expound, if you please.

Absolutely IDIOTIC, knee-jerk reaction of a contract. There was no reason for Rutherford to have to offer him an extension so damn early! Not without at least proving himself in the post-season!

I guess I'm no longer surprised by dumb contracts this team dishes out but I did think a good playoff run was going to be Rutherford's explanation, when it happened. "He's had two good playoffs in a row now... blah blah blah." Guess he was trying to show some confidence like others have said.

Once again, it only takes 1 team to make a ridiculous offer. Who here thought Orpik was going to get that much cash.

Yyyyup. That's what I was thinking (generally) about the Fleury trade potential.

Oh dear oh dear this is fun......

I'm so glad you reiterated this a couple pages after teh first time when you told us how fun it was going to be. I almost forgot how fun it was going to be! Do you really have a better day / have that much more fun than you would otherwise, by reading angry responses in a hockey forum? I hope not / that it really has no effect. ;)

I thought it was going to be more along the lines of a 2-3 year deal at the same $$$ but whatevs...

You nailed it. That's the part I really don't get other than the timing. The money is understandable, the NMC stuff is expected... but the term is not expected and nor did Fleury really have that kind of leverage (I'm guessing). I would've offered 3 max and I think he would've taken it. Son of Jagr should be ready by then.

ibvyc5bUI9VLX2.gif

Now THAT is a funny (negative) reaction. Well done! Thank you for actually contributing to the thread in a creative way.

What's next, a Craig Adams extension?

Should I beat you to death with a nerf bat now or later for invoking this curse? (Technically it's called a "nerf sabre" but you take my point.)

Last edited:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I only made it through 5 pages, so I'm sure (hopeful) that someone brought this up, but he isn't getting a raise. He made $5.75 last year and is making $5.75 this year. Of course the cap hit goes up, but so does the cap. The extra $750,000 will easily be made up with Craig Adams being jettisoned on a funeral pyre.

As always, the goaltender doesn't get fair credit when we win and gets all the blame when we lose.

That post made this whole thread worth it. :handclap:

Let's make sure that that fire can be seen from outer space ;)

my biggest fear though is that Craig Adams is indestructable we'd end up with this.
hqdefault.jpg

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Forget about whether JR should have waited longer to sign MAF. What this means is the Pens have MAF for four more years. If he plays great, he will not be traded. If he falls on his face during the playoffs, nobody would trade for him.

Meh. It's not a big deal really.
This contract won't stop the teams ability to upgrade the wings finally or play a better system in front of who ever the goalie is.

Capable backups can still be had for cheap, as i've said.
Just be thankful this isn't a 6-8yr deal.
This one doesn't handcuff the team much at all.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Fixed, and, the biggest reason for which is 40% of the posts saying "O EM GEE guyz this is going ot be CRAZEE POPCORN FUNNEH!"

The biggest reason for grabbing the popcorn is that we have seen Fleury threads for the best part of a decade now, the camps are fairly equally divided (not as to Fleury's faults, I think all agree on that, but what to do with him). And from what I can see no one has changed the camp that they are in from the time I have been watching.

He is the most divisive player on the team.

Not Scuderi, not Adams, not Glass, not even Bylsma, who no one was defending the keeping of by the end for each.

So the results were predictable, and for those of us who rather than get mad get entertained by human nature, grabbing the popcorn is the best reaction.

jinx33

The Rust is real
Sep 11, 2006
Paris, FR
It is not a raise at all.

It is a pay cut.

A significant pay cut.

Not singling you out, but how HF fails to judge contracts in comparison models by cap hit at the time of signing rather than a straight dollar comparison that almost all seem to do is a real pet peeve of mine. It makes discussion and comparisons meaningless.

Fleury signed a 7 year $35 million contract in 2007, which started in 2008. The salary cap in 2008 was $56 million. That would make Fleury's contract just under 9% of the team cap.

Now jump to today's deal. $5.75 million per year starting next year. Currently the cap is $69 but reports are that the cap likely rises because of the television deal by $12 million next year ( Report: NHL Salary Cap Could Rise $12 Million by 2015-16

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/mad...llion-by-2015-16-262387121.html#ixzz3IIpPyLbh
Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook ). That would make the cap $81 million when Fleury's contract starts. The lowest that I have seen is $76 million, so let's use that fignure. $5.75 of $76 million is 7.5% of that lower cap hit number, and it could be an even lesser hit if the higher figure comes in and the cap does go up $12 million per team because of the new television contract as some have speculated.

If you compare that to Fleury's first contract, he would have signed a contract closer to $4 million per year rather than $5 million per year that he did.

So he took a pay cut, and not an insignificant one.

This analysis goes double for comparing players against one another. Saying that player X, who is better, is getting the same salary as player Y when X signed his deal five years ago and Y's begins next year is absolutely useless.

Thanks for the clarification, I guess i got lost in translation while reading all this.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Not sure if it was discussed, but here is a clarification by Elliotte Friedman about Fleury's NMC/NTC:

Marc-Andre Fleury’s new contract includes a no-move clause to protect against waivers. He can be dealt, but is allowed to provide a 12-team no-trade list. A lot of bandwidth is already destroyed arguing this one, but it is clear the Penguins do believe their desire to hold the puck more will make Fleury a better goalie.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
A former goalie himself, Rutherford said Wednesday that he noticed a change in Fleury's game last season, his first with Bales.

“I really noticed his consistency,” Rutherford said. “I know he changed some of his offseason preparation, and it carried through the whole season.”

That is why, shortly after taking office, Rutherford called Fleury and encouraged him to keep everything the same. Bales is a key part of the process. Fleury had never worked with a cutting-edge goalie coach. Gilles Meloche was more confidante than teacher.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarke...#ixzz3IImQuoNs

Rutherford talking about fleury's last season. Kinda like some of us have been saying all along. The guy finally got a goalie coach with a clue. Not some idiot whispering puck luck stories in his ear.

*I* for one as a goalie myself, as someone who teaches kids the position and a general student of the position. No great claims of fame, just saying I read about goaling and I'm on the ice at least 3x every week either coaching or playing, so I feel like I probably have a bit more insight to the position then a casual fan.

I definitely notice Fleury's save selections have improved his play on the post in particular is better. He is absolutely more technically sound NOW then he was 2 years ago in the regular season. My biggest fear last season with him was that after he ended that one Jackets game badly what would we get the next game. The next game (for those who forget) He protected a 2-1 lead all the way and while did not see as many shots, he still had a .958 save % on 24 shots.

I for one would have waited but then thinking about it this makes perfect sense. Even if he does melt down this playoff run, you can still trade him off with that contract. But I'm hopeful that the best days are ahead for MAF.

:facepalm:

I mean, you knew by his "bad luck" comments that Meloche wasn't exactly the best choice for goalie coach... and it turns out the amount of coaching he did was minimal? It sounds like he was basically just there for moral support...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And once more, the cap could be as high as $81 million next year because of the new Canadian television contract. $12 million a year jump.

If the Pens end up having overpaid by a couple million for an average goalie and not to have to scramble to find someone, anyone, this off season, it is small potatoes given where next year's cap is likely to be, and given how much a bargain the other contracts for their core are starting to be.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
A 12 team no-trade list... that is a large list that can loosely be translated as "I will only accept a trade to a quality team, all of whom are likely to have decent starting goalies... so... you can't actually trade me." :laugh: Silver Lining: MAF still loves us and wants to be our BFF Goalie forevar, if we'll have him. I say we all give him a great big HFB bro-hug and welcome him back to the family he never left.

As far as I'm concerned now, this contract is all hugs and puppy dogs. I can feel the darkness dying within me. Soon I will become Jedi Beechbaul and the universe will glow with happy neutrinos.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Why did JR give him this contract now?? What is the downside to waiting for the off season??

Here are my three theories as to why it happened now.

1 - JR knew he was gonna re-sign him, because the goalie market is trash, and didn't want him worrying about a contract during the POs.

2 - JR knew he was gonna re-sign him, because the goalie market is trash, and didn't want a great PO run give him more leverage to get more money.

3 - JR knew he wanted to re-sign him, because the goalie market is trash, and didn't want a bad PO run force his hand to either not sign him and take his chances with career backups or re-sign MAF under huge scrutiny from the fanbase.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
A 12 team no-trade list... that is a large list that can loosely be translated as "I will only accept a trade to a quality team, all of whom are likely to have decent starting goalies... so... you can't actually trade me." :laugh:

This is probably one of the most literal contract extensions I've ever seen. Pay stays the same (yes, the cap hit goes up but the actual dollars are the same) and the clauses stay the same.

Current Contract:
2008-09 - $3,500,000
2009-10 - $3,500,000
2010-11 - $5,500,000
2011-12 - $5,500,000
2012-13 - $5,500,000
2013-14 - $5,750,000
2014-15 - $5,750,000

Clauses: Limited NMC (can't be placed on waivers); Limited NTC (can designate a list of teams he will accept a trade to)

Extension:
2015-16 - $5,750,000
2016-17 - $5,750,000
2017-18 - $5,750,000
2018-19 - $5,750,000

Clauses: Limited NMC (can't be placed on waivers); Limited NTC (can designate a list of 12 teams he will accept a trade to)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

"The Penguins believe that, by preventing shots on goal, their goalie will be better."

1) Don't worry, Fleury has found ways to allow non-shots into the net

2) Wouldn't this premise apply to any goalie the Penguins employed? If you're expecting a lack of shots to lead to improvement in your goalie, why not spend less on the goalie and more on the people preventing the shots?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
That is nuts with with the possible 12M cap jump.
I thought 5-6M maybe.
I forget, sometimes, how much a Billion dollar(s) tv deal can really affect things.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I only made it through 5 pages, so I'm sure (hopeful) that someone brought this up, but he isn't getting a raise. He made $5.75 last year and is making $5.75 this year. Of course the cap hit goes up, but so does the cap. The extra $750,000 will easily be made up with Craig Adams being jettisoned on a funeral pyre.

As always, the goaltender doesn't get fair credit when we win and gets all the blame when we lose.

this is not true. the only stat that works in MAF's favor is the W/L column and it is being brought up constantly along with "the only thing that really matters" line... hell, except for this stat I don't even know what other kind of leverage he had during negotiations...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I have this nagging terror in the back of my mind that we're living in the end of human history due to climate change and political instability, but y'know, riding my high horse on an internet message board and looking down on the peons that care about the hockey team this thread is associated with is a close second.

It always funny to see Chi work up some of you guys who haven't been around here that long.

Cracks me up every time.

You guys always fall for it to, that's the best part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad