Confirmed with Link: Fleury re-signed (4 years, $23M, $5.75M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's really a risky deal but not terribly risky. The term and money won't handicap the team much at all.

You can actually pick up capable backups for cheap still.
Thats really the only saving grace. JR did just that. He knows keeping MAF is a risk but he made that bet. Gotta live with it now.

And the "Give Greiss a chance!" people need to relax. Last time i checked he's still here. If MAF blows up again, he'll get his chance.

penguins2946*

I don't understand why folks who don't love this deal are labeled as haters. It's a silly and stupid label.

People have different opinions. Deal with it.

I don't understand why people who have an issue with Kunitz's work ethic this year are labeled as haters.

Don't be a hypocrite.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I guess really its the vote of confidence it gives MAF. JR is banking on that to relieve some pressure/distraction from MAF and help his confidence.

None of us know how this will play out. MAF can be really good or really bad at times. If we want to be optimistic we can speak to his improvement since Bales got here and solid playoffs last season aside from the CBJ gaffe. If we want to be pessimistic we can speak to the bad playoff performances, bad goals given up, and puck handling. At the end of the day we know you dont need Patrick Roy nowadays to win a cup. You just need a goalie good enough, Fleurys done it in the past, lets hope he does it again.

Why would JR need to help MAF's confidence right now? The guy is riding a 4 game win streak with 3 shutouts and is sitting near the top of every statistical category. If MAF isn't confident in himself right now, he'll never be.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's really a risky deal but not terribly risky. The term and money won't handicap the team much at all.

Thats really the only saving grace. JR did just that. He knows keeping MAF is a risk but he made that bet. Gotta live with it now.

And the "Give Greiss a chance!" people need to relax. Last time i checked he's still here. If MAF blows up again, he'll get his chance.

While it's early, Murray has looked really good as well. It isn't out of the realm of possibility he wins a backup job in the next couple of years.

Maybe if MAF keeps ******** the bed, they turn to Murray and move MAF. As long as MAF plays decent hockey, he can still be traded, especially given the fact his deal will be a bargain in a couple of seasons.

People are just being way too melodramatic about this.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Why would JR need to help MAF's confidence right now? The guy is riding a 4 game win streak with 3 shutouts and is sitting near the top of every statistical category. If MAF isn't confident in himself right now, he'll never be.

Having a sweet contract has never helped his confidence in the past not sure why this one will be any different. :laugh:

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

Except we're now stuck with the contract for the duration....

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ase-for-bad-goalie-contracts/article18949384/

Here's an interesting article about the worth of starting goalies. Basically goalies are a crapshoot and very very few are consistent. Don't lock up goalies long term for big money.

I agree 100% with that sentiment. I think it's ridiculous to give a big contract to a goalie because they are, almost entirely, a product of their team. Just look at how bad Rask looked early on playing behind a weakened Bruins team; their team defense was lacking, and it showed in his play.

However, it only takes one to ruin it. As soon as one big contract is handed out, it sets the bar. Look at the negotiation difficulties between Ottawa and Marc Methot. Their offers have been pretty reasonable, and a modest raise over what he's making now, and he comes back with $5.5M per year because that's what Washington paid Orpik.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So if resigning Fleury is not he answer-please make a suggestion.

188qgee9pmc69jpg.jpg

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
This, exactly this...lets see how he responds when his team plays a responsible style of defense in front of him.

this is what I was trying to say earlier, I have optimism that this gets fixed. The new coaching staff (I want to say I read this in the Trib?) the other was saying they're working on trying to rid the bad habits that the old coaching staff left them .. Fluery included, Mike Johnston was saying he's working with Fleury on his (infamous) puck handling

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't understand why folks who don't love this deal are labeled as haters. It's a silly and stupid label.

People have different opinions. Deal with it.

I completely get why people don't love the deal. I don't love the deal. Hell, I can even get why people hate the deal. But there is a ton of overreaction in this thread even beyond that.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008

I don't think it's for his confidence immediately. I think it's more just for later in the year (read: Playoffs) to make sure he doesn't have anything but hockey on his mind.

I don't know if that's why they made the signing, but if it is due to some mental aspect for Fleury, it's more likely that than "they need him confident going into tonight"

It also helps with this certainty if JR plans to make any moves, especially longer term trades.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Waking up to Fleury getting a 4 year deal with a raise(!!!) is a good way to ruin a day. That kind of deal is a good way to ruin our two superstars primes as well.
Fleury is easily the most babied player in all of sports. No matter what he does he still has managements confidence.
Post .83 SV% with 4.63 GA against the teams biggest rival in a playoff series? NP, he'll do better next year. Follow that up with .88 SV% with 3.52 GA against the ****ing Islanders? NP better next year. Follow that up with an average playoff run and get rewarded with a 4 year contract...

This team really strives to be a regular season tiger and a play-off *****cat.

It's a misconception that Fleury got a raise. He'll be paid the exact same amount he was paid last season and is getting paid this season. They just didn't get the benefit of cheap years bringing his cap hit down like his current contract did.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I completely get why people don't love the deal. I don't love the deal. Hell, I can even get why people hate the deal. But there is a ton of overreaction in this thread even beyond that.

As opposed to the less than a year and a half ago when Fleury was benched in the playoffs? What was the reaction like at that time?

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
How quickly people forget that Fleury (before Sid and Geno) was the lone shining star on this team. How we all protested for him to be given the reigns when the Pens refused to call him up from WBS because they didn't want to pay him. When he played his 10 games and was three times better of an option than JS Aubin or Sebastian Caron, but they sent him back to WBS anyway. Remember? Fleury was king up until Mr. Disco won the cup with Michael Therien's team. After that the Pens forgot completely about team defense and expected Fleury to have a .1000 GAA when facing 30+ shots a night. Now if he starts to play poorly this season, my argument here is void. With this team being taught defensive responsibility under Johnston I think we may find that 2003-2009 MAF that we used to know.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Fleury is the most controversial player on the Pens roster - of course there's going to a big reaction to this contract.

em·bat·tled (m-btld)
adj.
Beset with attackers, criticism, or controversy

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Just off the top of my head Thomas, Brodeur and Bryz. Every one of them are better than Fleury, because Fleury is the worst starter in the league.

You do realize Cam Ward, Steve Mason, Ondrej Pevelec, Braden Holtby, Michal Neuvirth/Johnas Enroth, Ben Scrivens are all getting regular starts on NHL teams, right?

I also hope you're not serious about Thomas and The Bryz still being capable NHL goalies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think it's for his confidence immediately. I think it's more just for later in the year (read: Playoffs) to make sure he doesn't have anything but hockey on his mind.

I don't know if that's why they made the signing, but if it is due to some mental aspect for Fleury, it's more likely that than "they need him confident going into tonight"

It also helps with this certainty if JR plans to make any moves, especially longer term trades.

A simpler, and probably more logical reason is that they like how Fleury's playing with the new goalie coach, they see improvement, and they see how MJ's system is benefiting him. So, if the front office still thinks that Fleury's potential can be reached and that he can be reclaimed, it makes sense to jump out in front of that now and get a contract instead of him having a great year and then having to overpay for him/lose him for nothing in FA.

At least this way, even if the organization decides to go somewhere else for goaltending, they have an asset that's tradeable at no additional cost. Ockham's razor and all that.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
How quickly people forget that Fleury (before Sid and Geno) was the lone shining star on this team. How we all protested for him to be given the reigns when the Pens refused to call him up from WBS because they didn't want to pay him. When he played his 10 games and was three times better of an option than JS Aubin or Sebastian Caron, but they sent him back to WBS anyway. Remember? Fleury was king up until Mr. Disco won the cup with Michael Therien's team. After that the Pens forgot completely about team defense and expected Fleury to have a .1000 GAA when facing 30+ shots a night. Now if he starts to play poorly this season, my argument here is void. With this team being taught defensive responsibility under Johnston I think we may find that 2003-2009 MAF that we used to know.

Good post and thats the hope.
Team has to be better. Not just MAF.

jinx33

The Rust is real
Sep 11, 2006
Paris, FR
Pretty much happy with it.

Fleury might have mental and pressure issues when they it's playoffs time, but he ain't the only one to blame those last years on run failures.

It's not much of a raise and he's barely 30, you won't find cheaper on the market, neither better goalie right now.

JR sure took care of this first, maybe to add some firepower next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad