Confirmed with Link: Fleury re-signed (4 years, $23M, $5.75M AAV) #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Can we please stop pretending like Fleury is some feral goalie that has only within the last year gotten formal training?

1. Shane Clifford was his goalie coach when he first got to Pittsburgh. Same goalie coach who helped develop Gibson, among others. Previous to that, Francois Allaire was one of his goalie coaches.
2. All athletes are free to get supplemental training in the offseason. Most pro goalies still go to goalie camps over the summer to work on their technique. Crosby does his L.A. training, etc. What was Fleury doing?
3. If Fleury truly is better now, then fine. I'm far from convinced of that though just as I'm not convinced he is worth an additional 4-5M more per year than Greiss.

Fleury trains in Montreal along with other NHLers such as Bernier and Price during the summer.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I can't imagine how a wide-spread, blanket, underinformed statement like this could ever backfire on you. :sarcasm:

Wait!

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_SavePercentage.php

That's fine. I'm talking about individual stats, not league avg. I'm sure cutting off the stats from the goalies on the 14 worst teams in the league isn't gonna change the league avg.

How did MAF's quality starts match up against other guys last year because he had a better S% and GAA than both Quick and Crawford (the Cup winner and the guy would would have won had they made it to the SCF)?

Can we really ***** about MAF last year when he had better stats then Quick and Crawford?

Last edited:

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
That's fine. I'm talking about individual stats, not league avg. I'm sure cutting off the stats from the goalies on the 14 worst teams in the league isn't gonna change the league avg.

How did MAF's quality starts match up against other guys last year because he had a better S% and GAA than both Quick and Crawford (the Cup winner and the guy would would have won had they made it to the SCF)?

Can we really ***** about MAF last year when he had better stats then Quick and Crawford?

So because someone could actually be worse than MAF, means he's OK? What a great way to compare things.

So with Quick:

SJS 4/7 quality starts. His team won every one, lost every non-quality start
ANA 5/7 quality starts.
CHI 2/7 quality starts. His team bailed him out this series. LAK probably loses this series 8:10 times.
NYR 4/4 quality starts. No chance for NYR. None.

QS %(15/25): 60%

Doesn't learning feel awkward?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
So because someone could actually be worse than MAF, means he's OK? What a great way to compare things.

So with Quick:

ANA 5/7 quality starts.
CHI 2/7 quality starts. His team bailed him out this series. LAK probably loses this series 8:10 times.

This is not a good stat to continue to reference just because you feel it backs up your point. And even if it were, the point you're making is that MAF is not as good as Jonathan Quick, who is probably the consensus best goaltender in the league along with Rinne and King H.

This thread is discussing MAF's contract, and his potential performance over the course of that contract. All MAF has to do to outperform the contract is be better than average.

I'm not saying I would have given him that deal now, I would have liked to have seen how Greiss did for at least a half season of heavier work first.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

So with Quick:

ANA 5/7 quality starts.

I'll say it again... QS for goaltending is useless because it doesn't take into account Power Plays, quality of shots and such. Every shot and goal isn't equal. It's a terrible way to compare goalies.

Glad you just glossed over my points and kept running with your flawed stat.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

So with Quick:

ANA 5/7 quality starts.

Do you really not get my point or are you feigning ignorance? It's really not hard to understand.

And TBH quality starts is a pretty terrible way to look at goalies.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
That article is just as old as the contract extension.

Agreed, and if you look at Marc's play this year, that deal is looking like a steal. He's been really good over the last year and a half, and he didn't fall on his face in the PO's last year. He's trending nothing but upwards. Look at Bobrovski's deal and tell me we didn't sign Marc for a steal....

penguins2946*

Still relevant. What's your point?

Literally all that matters is the playoffs. Any article posted right now about the contract is 100% irrelevant. We don't know if the contract is good or bad yet, we have to wait and see. So no, posting a 3 month old article is irrelevant.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Literally all that matters is the playoffs. Any article posted right now about the contract is 100% irrelevant. We don't know if the contract is good or bad yet, we have to wait and see. So no, posting a 3 month old article is irrelevant.

We've seen his performance in the playoffs though...

penguins2946*

We've seen his performance in the playoffs though...

And last year, he had a .915 save% in the playoffs. If he does that again, the deal will be fine. So again, we have to wait and see if it's a good contract. If Fleury plays in the playoffs like he did last year, it's a fine contract. If he doesn't, it's a bad contract. That's basically all we can say, there is no way to say if it's a good or bad contract right now.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
And last year, he had a .915 save% in the playoffs. If he does that again, the deal will be fine. So again, we have to wait and see if it's a good contract. If Fleury plays in the playoffs like he did last year, it's a fine contract. If he doesn't, it's a bad contract. That's basically all we can say, there is no way to say if it's a good or bad contract right now.

Well, there's like a decade of data that suggests otherwise, but ok.

penguins2946*

Well, there's like a decade of data that suggests otherwise, but ok.

And that was when Fleury didn't have an actual goalie coach. He does now. It's not a hard concept to grasp. If he plays like he did last year (which is the most relevant set of data), he's fine. If he plays like he did in 2012, it's a bad deal.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
i still dont see the urgency to do the deal when they did.

Because if they don't extend him he is then a UFA and you run more risk of either not resigning him or his salary goes up. Fleury might not be ideal, but nobody wants to be caught in a situation like the Wild. That's the kind of situation that gets people fired.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Because if they don't extend him he is then a UFA and you run more risk of either not resigning him or his salary goes up. Fleury might not be ideal, but nobody wants to be caught in a situation like the Wild. That's the kind of situation that gets people fired.

As long as none of our goalies break their foot kicking a wall or get diagnosed with MS, that situation seems unlikely.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Agreed, and if you look at Marc's play this year, that deal is looking like a steal. He's been really good over the last year and a half, and he didn't fall on his face in the PO's last year. He's trending nothing but upwards. Look at Bobrovski's deal and tell me we didn't sign Marc for a steal....

ignoring the irrelevant All-Star Game, Fleury's game has been slowly coming back down to earth over the past month or so. Is this due to the injuries in front of him? Possibly. But I don't think he's playing at nearly the level he was the first 2 or 3 months of the season.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Fleury should have performace-based incentives added to his contract: a shutout period in the All-Star Game earns him $2mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad