Confirmed with Link: Fleury re-signed (4 years, $23M, $5.75M AAV) #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
For all the talk of the new goalie coach, Zatkoff's ESSV% last year was 0.916, MAF's was 0.917. That's not uncommon for MAF. Even if Bylsma's system is to blame, MAF didn't outplay his backups.

Last edited:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
it is becoming clearer by the day that this is a very mediocre organization that was lucky enough to be gifted crosby and basically malkin.

those two were enough to carry a team to a cup, but since then the management/ownership has been a complete disaster, refusing to make the tough decisions and move on from people at the appropriate time (bylsma, shero, fleury, orpik, adams, scuderi, dupuis). rather than giving sid/malkin a winning roster, they are more worried about having their friends along for the ride.

this organization had similar stupid priorities in the 90s, and they are doing much the same now. how can people not see that?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This thread(s) really do need a theme song.

If I listen to this when reading the Fleury thread(s) begins to make sense to me. Try it, it really works.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Well, Halak's rights were traded to the Islanders when the Pens were still in the playoffs, and he later signed with the Islanders right after the Pens got eliminated. So again, you're still wrong.

What? That does nothing to show that the Pens could not sign Halak before CBOing Fleury. :laugh:

If anything, had management made a serious push for signing Halak (we now see how unlikely that is, CBOing Fleury was never even considered, clearly) it would certainly have delayed the negotiating process, as him and his agent would have had to think about whether to go to Pitt or NYI. I'd hazard a guess and say, chances are we'd win that one.

I also like how you completely ignored the second half of my response, about Halak being a superior playoff goalie over Fleury. :laugh:

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
What? That does nothing to show that the Pens could not sign Halak before CBOing Fleury. :laugh:

If anything, had management made a serious push for signing Halak (we now see how unlikely that is, CBOing Fleury was never even considered, clearly) it would certainly have delayed the negotiating process, as him and his agent would have had to think about whether to go to Pitt or NYI. I'd hazard a guess and say, chances are we'd win that one.

I also like how you completely ignored the second half of my response, about Halak being a superior playoff goalie over Fleury. :laugh:
aren't they not allowed to talk to other teams' FAs till after the draft(or sometime around there)?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
this is the single worst personnel/roster move that the penguins have made since the crosby and malkin era, i am pretty sure.

The insane aspect of this team is that we're keeping the whole roster intact basically (Dupuis, Scuderi, Kunitz, Fleury) despite achieving practically nothing with said roster.

Fleury has been horrible in the playoffs for the past 1/2 decade and now we have another 1/2 decade of him to look forward to. Statistically, he's been the 2nd worst goalie in the post-season since 2010.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The insane aspect of this team is that we're keeping the whole roster intact basically (Dupuis, Scuderi, Kunitz, Fleury) despite achieving practically nothing with said roster.

Fleury has been horrible in the playoffs for the past 1/2 decade and now we have another 1/2 decade of him to look forward to. Statistically, he's been the 2nd worst goalie in the post-season since 2010.

1/3 of the roster has changed from last year to this year. We just won our last game largely due to defensive play and depth scoring. That's new.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...rys-contract-and-the-trouble-with-the-goalies

Right off the bat, Adam Gretz hits the nail on the head.

When it comes to Fleury, it all comes down to two very basic, yet very passionate schools of thought.

On one side, there's the "look at the rings and count the wins" crowd. This side remembers him making a last-second save in a Game 7 of the 2009 Stanley Cup Final and sees a guy closing in on 300 career wins ... on a team that has been carried by two of the best players of their generation ... and thinks he is not only one of the NHL's best goalies, but also among the elite of the elite at the position and is as important to the Penguins' success as Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

On the other side, you have the crowd that looks at every playoff meltdown he has experienced since that Stanley Cup save and seems to think that he is incapable of doing anything other than turning the puck over behind the net and giving up bad goals by the dozens.

He is neither of these goalies.

What he is, is a perfectly adequate and extremely durable NHL starting goalie. He will have great games, he will have awful games. He will make a save that will completely blow your mind, and then he will do something like this that will ... completely blow your mind. He will put together a stretch where he has three shutouts in a week, and he will play so poorly in another week later in the season that he has to be benched for his backup in the playoffs.

When it comes to his play on the ice and his actual production he is virtually indistinguishable from the majority of starting goaltenders around the NHL. He will consistently put up a .913-.917 save percentage and reside right in the middle of the pack.

You could certainly do better. You could certainly do worse. And this is where we start to find the trouble with NHL goalies.

The problem isn't necessarily with this particular contract. If anything, the Penguins were wise to only go four years with it when so many teams around the league are trying to invest in six- and seven-year deals for their starting goalie, and then probably regretting it a few years later. He is an average goalie making an average starting goalie's salary. Based on the market, he is probably right where he should be in terms of payment (maybe a little above it).

He does an excellent job of explaining why no goalie - not just Fleury - should be getting paid. The difference between a good (or above average) and a bad (or below average) goalie will amount to maybe 4-6 points per season.

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
management has made it clear that the only way to be a fan of this team is to be a fan of fleury

it'll do no one any good to obsess over this decision

i'll bash him at every opportunity. this team would be better without him. but he's here and he's going to play

the only option is to hope he does well. so i hope he does well

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Meh, hopefully the Jarrys and Murrays start knocking a little sooner, and I'd have preferred a 2, maybe 3 year deal, but 4 isn't too bad...

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
He's forgetting the key part, though: While being such an average goaltender (and one that tends to implode in the playoffs, as he notes), he's being treated like a franchise player. That's the maddening part and not the dollars or the term.

How exactly is getting a fair market value, medium term extension being treated like a franchise player?

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...rys-contract-and-the-trouble-with-the-goalies

Right off the bat, Adam Gretz hits the nail on the head.

He does an excellent job of explaining why no goalie - not just Fleury - should be getting paid. The difference between a good (or above average) and a bad (or below average) goalie will amount to maybe 4-6 points per season.

This is a message board. Take you're moderate opinion elsewhere.

Joking aside, its a bit much and a bit long for me. This team will not be judged by points in the regular season, we aren't some bubble team on the borderline of making the playoffs. The only way I'd keep fleurry would be if he was cheaper so we could sign better players elsewhere (top 6 wing anyone). Last years playoffs were better, so I'm trying to stay optimistic, but it's tough. I'd rather have a mediocre but consistent goalie than a mediocre goalie who swings from elite to terrible. But that's just my preference, I feel like it's easier to insulate the former with a good defense than the later.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
All the arguments and hyperbole against this are taking me off the fence and pushing me towards being OK with this. Real arguments with valid reasoning (there have been many) against this are getting drowned out by nonsensical statements pretending to be facts.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
how exactly is he being treated like a franchise player?

How exactly is getting a fair market value, medium term extension being treated like a franchise player?

While having gigantic question marks, he does not have to prove himself in a contract year but rather gets signed at the beginning to November. To a contract, no less, that is market value but will be impossible to move*, effectively locking up the starting position for the duration, come hell or high water.
I doubt that many non-franchise players get to enjoy that kind of treatment.

*if he doesn't want to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad