Confirmed with Link: Fleury re-signed (4 years, $23M, $5.75M AAV) #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
What are we getting at here? That when the league's leading goal scorer breaks in on an odd man rush he's going to score sometimes? All goalies have weaknesses, and if Fleury's weakness is "letting in goals short side while facing good shooters on odd man rushes" that's not exactly a huge problem.

Fleurys problem is he is a bad goaltender when it counts most. He is mentally weak and lets in crushing momentum breaking goals. It's always been that way, and will always be that way.

Pens will not win a cup as long as he is starting in the playoffs.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Fleurys problem is he is a bad goaltender when it counts most. He is mentally weak and lets in crushing momentum breaking goals. It's always been that way, and will always be that way.

:sarcasm:you mean outside the one they already won with him.....

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

yep, he's always been that way. No way we could ever win a Cup with him in net. Never.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

yep, he's always been that way. No way we could ever win a Cup with him in net. Never.

And the year before he had a 0.933 SV%, the best that year...

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
You know what, SabresFan44, I am tired of your ****. Fleury will take us to the finals some day, I bet my account on it.

Unwavering confidence in a guy who has given you no reason to have unwavering confidence.. unless you put no stock in past performance.

I like your boldness, but logic suggests another post-season meltdown is right around the corner for MAF.

Fleury seems like a great guy, but at this point I think his strengths/weaknesses are pretty evident. To put it bluntly: playing well in the NHL post-season and making critical saves is NOT one of his strengths

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You know what would be crazy, if he improved last year after previous years of bad performances. I mean, if he did that, then maybe I have a leg to stand on for him turning the corner.

If only that was the case.

If only.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
You know what would be crazy, if he improved last year after previous years of bad performances. I mean, if he did that, then maybe I have a leg to stand on for him turning the corner.

If only that was the case.

If only.
Lets hope he does. I will say - except for the heartbreaker against CBJ..he did play pretty well during the post-season last year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He had a gaffe, so did the Cup winning goaltender, only difference in Quick's case is that his team didn't get poorly coached and his big game players stepped up.

Pens didn't.

But totally MAF's fault.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
is that what people are doing?

Look at the post game threads after a win for crying out loud. Pens fans nitpick any little negative thing, even in wins. Because as we all know, other teams don't make mistakes, have bad games, slumps, turnovers, etc....

The "Is Kunitz done as an NHL player?" thread is a perfect example. Guy scores 35 goals last year, would be flirting with 30 this year if not for injuries and Pens fans want him taken out behind the shed and shot. All because he looks slow and lazy. Then they claim they want Stewart, who is slow and lazy AND can't score. Same guys would knock Dupuis for playing in the top 6 because he can't finish, despite being fast and works hard. He's the exact opposite of Kunitz this year, yet is still trash. They want a 35 goal scorer who fore checks hard, crashes the net and lays devastating hits, all for under $4 million. Good luck, it doesn't work that way.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Look at the post game threads after a win for crying out loud. Pens fans nitpick any little negative thing, even in wins. Because as we all know, other teams don't make mistakes, have bad games, slumps, turnovers, etc....

The "Is Kunitz done as an NHL player?" thread is a perfect example. Guy scores 35 goals last year, would be flirting with 30 this year if not for injuries and Pens fans want him taken out behind the shed and shot. All because he looks slow and lazy. Then they claim they want Stewart, who is slow and lazy AND can't score. Same guys would knock Dupuis for playing in the top 6 because he can't finish, despite being fast and works hard. He's the exact opposite of Kunitz this year, yet is still trash. They want a 35 goal scorer who fore checks hard, crashes the net and lays devastating hits, all for under $4 million. Good luck, it doesn't work that way.

You couldn't have picked a worse example. Kunitz? C'mon. I voted "no" in that thread but he's been a dumpster fire in hell this year.

And are you the first person to use his recent regular season stats in debate or what? Ho-ly hell where have I been that I wasn't shown how dominant a player Kunitz has been with those regular season stats that were surely the result of his own creative energy?!

Darn these pesky nit-pickers for critiquing the infallible Chris Kunitz for an awful year when clearly he's on pace to far surpass his previous leechings.

Let's conveniently forget the majority of the nit-picking that's been going on is jumping down the throat of someone pointing out (correctly) Fleury's recent tendencies to get smoked short-side on stoppable shots.

Last edited:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I'm not saying Kunitz is infallible, he certainly makes bad plays. There are people who ignore any positive plays he makes though (which he does) while only focusing on the bad. It's like that way with many players, not just him. Gotta have your whipping boy I guess.

Crosby makes tons of stupid plays (no look passes through the middle to the other team on the powerplay being a common one) and has been very underwhelming in every single series where the Pens have been eliminated, makes $8.7 million and is supposed to be the leader on this team (even though other teams make him look like a mental midget in recent years). Yet I'll get heavily criticized for even mentioning that. Must be an injury, or his linemate. Always their fault, not his.

Yes, Kunitz is a leech. But he's a good leech, he can still produce. Only player to score 30+ goals on a line with Crosby. I'd love to have Hossa and Parise playing with Crosby but there's a salary cap. Be realistic.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think there are two points here... some people are (correctly as far as I am concerned) pointing out a flaw that has developed in Fluery's technique recently... this happens for mos every player... the league finds tendencies to exploit and does so till the player adjusts....

The second is some people griping about a bad all star game performance, which is just sad and stupid. Fluery was one of 3 goalies with a save % at .600 or worse, and the best of the 6 goalies was sub .800 on his save percentage... it was a terrible game to even try to judge a goalie on

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I'm not saying Kunitz is infallible, he certainly makes bad plays. There are people who ignore any positive plays he makes though (which he does) while only focusing on the bad. It's like that way with many players, not just him. Gotta have your whipping boy I guess.

I'll address Kuntiz later, but just about everyone offering a critique of Fleury has mentioned his great season. Having a great season doesn't make someone exempt from pointing out a tendency to get beat by the same stoppable shot consistently enough to be considered a pattern.

Crosby makes tons of stupid plays (no look passes through the middle to the other team on the powerplay being a common one) and has been very underwhelming in every single series where the Pens have been eliminated, makes $8.7 million and is supposed to be the leader on this team (even though other teams make him look like a mental midget in recent years). Yet I'll get heavily criticized for even mentioning that. Must be an injury, or his linemate. Always their fault, not his.

I don't disagree that Crosby hasn't been good enough. But I'm honestly more shocked that the guy has managed to achieve all that he has over the years with what he's been given. I don't hold it against the guy that he's finally showing signs of being human after carrying the load with Geno for so long. I hope Perron can help him have fun playing hockey again; I know Kunitz isn't. So yeah, it'll always be "the other guys" because Crosby and Malkin aren't the problem - their surrounding cast has been and still is.

Yes, Kunitz is a leech. But he's a good leech, he can still produce. Only player to score 30+ goals on a line with Crosby. I'd love to have Hossa and Parise playing with Crosby but there's a salary cap. Be realistic.

I will agree the board at times is too white and black on players, but Kuntiz is certainly a player who falls into that color rather easily this year - he's just been bad. I don't think we need to point out the one good finish or the one behind-the-net assist to Perron when we can watch his lazy back-check, shoddy board-work and battle level, and constant fumbling of the puck while paired with one of our elite centers on a regular basis. He deserves to be the whipping boy.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I'll take a 25 goal guy who works his tail off. That's what Kunitz was a few years ago and was far more useful.

We just added two better wingers in PH and Perron in less than half a year's time, so it's not like he's beyond criticism anymore due to the "no other options" argument.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Pens fans would complain about prime Patrick Roy letting in too many shots high glove. Or complain about Hasek's form. "Sure, he made 37 saves on 38 shots but I don't like how he flops around out there."

did either of those guys let in goals from the back boards routinely ?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why is this thread brought up? Only thing that matters is his postseason. Nothing else matters. He's been a great regular season goalie.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Pens fans would complain about prime Patrick Roy letting in too many shots high glove. Or complain about Hasek's form. "Sure, he made 37 saves on 38 shots but I don't like how he flops around out there."

what a stupid argument to bring up...

we don't have Hasek/Roy in net, and the gap between them and MAF is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Why is this thread brought up? Only thing that matters is his postseason. Nothing else matters. He's been a great regular season goalie.

Well.... considering the reasonable doubts people can have about Fleury's ability to hold up under the spotlights, it is not surprising that there will be a flareup of interest after he concedes 7 in one All-Star game period, what with it likely having never happened before.

Forget that there was no D and that he might not have been actually culpable (I didn't see the game)... it just had to happen to him. Not somebody else. Fleury.

...and yes, if he is strong in the post-season.... no one gives a lick.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How dare he allow goals in an over hyped game of shinny where no one is giving a 100% in a game that has no bearing on the standings in any way shape or form.

How dare he.

Penguins should suspend him and sue him for misrepresentation.

I'm so angry right now, I am starting a bon fire to burn his jersey and do something ridiculous like youtube it and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad