Confirmed with Link: Flames Trade Neal for Lucic (12.5% retained) and conditional 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
At the end of the day, Oilers fans think they won the trade as much as we thought we were winners in free agency last year. They'll learn.

No one won the trade, both teams lost. As of now though I think the Flames lost less. Lucic hired Oates to help coach him this summer and is looking to be a role player with the Flames. Watching Neal last year tested by patience as a Flames fan. Never have I watched a guy give less of a f*** out there playing hockey. He epitomized the saying, "got his big contract and can retire". You go back and watch his pre-season interviews where he talks about choosing the Flames because he thought they were close and he wants the Cup after back-to-back playoff runs, then you watch him play 70 games out there just giving absolutely no f***s. Like f*** you and get the f*** off my team you bum.

Like Bartkowski, Stone, and others suck, but I don't dislike them now that they're off the team (I also didn't expect much whereas I expected Neal to at least not get outscored by most 3rd liners in the league), but Neal can EAD. Glad he is going to Edmonton, go destroy that franchise more than it already is.

Anyone in Edmonton who thinks this f***stain of a player will contribute anything positive to their team is in for a big surprise.

I also lol HARD at the pundits when talking about the trade. Gord Miller should be a comedian with lines like, "he still one of the best releases in hockey" and "can still skate". Get your eyes checked mate, he is just as shit at skating as Milan is these days and for having such a good shot we sure saw it last year when he played 70 f***ing games and never once actually had a nice shot on net. How in the f*** do you play 70 games and can't generate 1 decent shot. 7 of the most pathetic goals I have ever seen scored. And I'll be the first to admit I cheered like a mofo when we scored the goal off his ass (I was at the game), but after what you did in the playoffs? f*** you.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Flames really dropped the ball not testing Lindholm at center and moving Neal up to play with Johnny after the ASG. But I don't think Peters ever liked Neal which is why he was traded

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I ordered my Lucic jersey.
source.gif

This trade still makes me sick....

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Not a fan but I think things were said in the locker room between Neal and teammates/management. They seemed adamant on getting rid of him.

If he can play like 5.5 million Ryan Reeves than I’m happy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Flames really dropped the ball not testing Lindholm at center and moving Neal up to play with Johnny after the ASG. But I don't think Peters ever liked Neal which is why he was traded
Neal had at least a shift with Johnny and Monahan in pretty much every game after the ASB, as they would get the shift after a PK. And he continued to do absolutely nothing to show that that was a good idea. Also, they did get united to start a game at least once or twice in that span. Same results.

A lot of pundits oddly excuse Neal from his role in where he played in the lineup. "He could have scored 25, but he just never got that chance on the top line." Yes, he absolutely did. At the start of camp all the way up to the first few games of the season, that was the line combination that Peters wanted to use. Neal forced his hand by being completely awful. Getting a chance on the top line doesn't mean getting stapled to the top line for months even though there is no evidence that it works or will ever work.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Neal had at least a shift with Johnny and Monahan in pretty much every game after the ASB, as they would get the shift after a PK. And he continued to do absolutely nothing to show that that was a good idea. Also, they did get united to start a game at least once or twice in that span. Same results.
A shift here and there... yeah don't know what you might've been expecting. That's a very small sample size. Think of how long it took Derek Ryan to get going in his new surroundings, or the first line, which wasn't setting the world on fire until about November.

Besides, Monahan and Neal on the same line is a poor pairing since they're both slow, shoot-first guys. It would've interesting to experiment with Lindholm centering Gaudreau and Neal when the team was slumping hard but such is life.

A lot of pundits oddly excuse Neal from his role in where he played in the lineup. "He could have scored 25, but he just never got that chance on the top line." Yes, he absolutely did. At the start of camp all the way up to the first few games of the season, that was the line combination that Peters wanted to use.
This is false. Peters chose Lindholm and never looked back starting from game 1

From the Lindholm article the other day:

In Carolina I was moving here and there [in the lineup], and up and down, and it was hard to find someone to build chemistry with,” said Lindholm. “[Flames coach Bill Peters] pretty much told me right away to play with these guys. We sat down and had a couple talks.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
A shift here and there... yeah don't know what you might've been expecting. That's a very small sample size. Think of how long it took Derek Ryan to get going in his new surroundings, or the first line, which wasn't setting the world on fire until about November.

Besides, Monahan and Neal on the same line is a poor pairing since they're both slow, shoot-first guys. It would've interesting to experiment with Lindholm centering Gaudreau and Neal when the team was slumping hard but such is life.

In Carolina I was moving here and there [in the lineup], and up and down, and it was hard to find someone to build chemistry with,” said Lindholm. “[Flames coach Bill Peters] pretty much told me right away to play with these guys. We sat down and had a couple talks.

I mean this made sense from day 1, so I can’t blame peters for that. I always thought Neal would’ve been utilized as a second line option tbh.

I’m kinda iffy on the whole opportunity thing. On one hand, I can’t blame peters for not giving him much of a chance considering how shit he played. On the other hand, Neal has never been a playdriver, so I don’t know what our scouting staff was expecting when they gave tre the go ahead to sign him.

In the end, I won’t miss him whatsoever. Taking back Lucic though was just terribly thought out though, and the fact that certain parts of the fanbase (this mainly applies to cp) have completely flip flopped on him and dismissed previous flaws that were laughed at in spades in his time in Edmonton is hypocritical and sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mobiandi

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

You seem to be right. I thought I remembered Neal being starting pre-season there and being moved down before the start of the season (I thought that was what Lindholm was referring to), but looking back at lineups, it was more of an alternating pattern throughout pre-season, and Lindholm had the first crack at it in China. I think the thing that confused me was all the talk in the summer from management, but of course that can't be attributed to Peters.

Still, though, 13-23-18 was a line that Peters went back to throughout the season. And as much as I get the argument that a shift here and there is meaningless, I don't agree with it. It was a shift here and there every game. It was something Neal could absolutely rely on. If he had done anything, literally anything, during those shifts, or during the games he was on that line as a fixture, he would have put his foot in the door and opened up more opportunity. Realistically, all he had to do would be to not be a liability, but he didn't manage that.

We see players work their way up the lineup all the time. Derek Ryan is an example of that this year, as his play in limited minutes eventually forced Peters to increase his role. Ferland did it during his time here. Backlund emerged from a fourth line role under Hartley by playing fantastic hockey. Why do we expect role players to be able to do that, but veterans making 6x their salary can't be expected to figure out a way to impact the game enough to get the coach's attention?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You seem to be right. I thought I remembered Neal being starting pre-season there and being moved down before the start of the season (I thought that was what Lindholm was referring to), but looking back at lineups, it was more of an alternating pattern throughout pre-season, and Lindholm had the first crack at it in China. I think the thing that confused me was all the talk in the summer from management, but of course that can't be attributed to Peters.

Still, though, 13-23-18 was a line that Peters went back to throughout the season. And as much as I get the argument that a shift here and there is meaningless, I don't agree with it. It was a shift here and there every game. It was something Neal could absolutely rely on. If he had done anything, literally anything, during those shifts, or during the games he was on that line as a fixture, he would have put his foot in the door and opened up more opportunity. Realistically, all he had to do would be to not be a liability, but he didn't manage that.

We see players work their way up the lineup all the time. Derek Ryan is an example of that this year, as his play in limited minutes eventually forced Peters to increase his role. Ferland did it during his time here. Backlund emerged from a fourth line role under Hartley by playing fantastic hockey. Why do we expect role players to be able to do that, but veterans making 6x their salary can't be expected to figure out a way to impact the game enough to get the coach's attention?
Neal was penciled in on 1st line RW, but they started Lindholm there in China because they didn't want Monahan taking many faceoffs the first couple games. Then that line showed instant chemistry.

And yes, Lindholm was probably told 1st line when the trade happened, but Neal was signed after the trade went down and it changed things/

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
As much as I hate this trade, and I do hate it..

I look forward to cheering for Lucic. The first time him and Matty team up to bully the opposition, all will be forgiven.

I can't wait for Matty to go after McDavid and Draisaitl in the first game against Edmonton and sucker Lucic into going after them as well.

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

What makes you think this?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Chucky and Benny are going to be playing like they’re 6inches taller and 230 lbs heavier this season. Book it.

Fixed.

I think the stats check out if either guy is piggy backing Lucic. ;)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The one thing I love about getting Looch, is that teams are going to think we are thugs this year. Benny, Ratchuk and Looch. We are the new Ducks.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Khrox

May 31, 2018
The one thing I love about getting Looch, is that teams are going to think we are thugs this year. Benny, Ratchuk and Looch. We are the new Ducks.
That is something I never want to hear again. Though if it means we can get away with gloving a puck into the net after the whistle was blown like Getzlaf did to us a couple years ago (that if I remember correctly, ended up being the game winner in the third), I guess I could tolerate it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Well... we were put together based on Burke's dirt bag design...

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
That is something I never want to hear again. Though if it means we can get away with gloving a puck into the net after the whistle was blown like Getzlaf did to us a couple years ago (that if I remember correctly, ended up being the game winner in the third), I guess I could tolerate it.

Getzlaf tried it, but they never called it a goal. He gloved the puck in the net after the whistle.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Getzlaf tried it, but they never called it a goal. He gloved the puck in the net after the whistle.
Sorry, I was thinking of a different event. Flames scored a goal, Getzlaf used his hand to pull the puck out of the net and got away with it.

This one here. But yeah, he even denied doing it in the interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad