Let Ryan go for the picks

Trade Stastny for a D

Sign The Bozak

Throw Sgar in at center

Go cup crazy... Or draft top 5 again in 2014

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Christmas in February. ROR wasn't going to resign, Calgary is crazy to resign him at 6.5M, and if he doesn't resign then Calgary just paid a first and a third for a rental to be a fringe cup contender (and IMO that's being incredibly incredibly generous)......

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Christmas in February. ROR wasn't going to resign, Calgary is crazy to resign him at 6.5M, and if he doesn't resign then Calgary just paid a first and a third for a rental to be a fringe cup contender (and IMO that's being incredibly incredibly generous)......

Not incredibly incredibly generous. Just impossible.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Because if he goes to FA he wouldn't get that contract either if the Avs won't offer it up?

If we take him to arbitration and we then let him walk, we may match any contract below 20% of his arbitration salary as well. Aka, 5.3+ mil if we let him walk and less than 5.3 we can retain him.

Not sure where you got this from but it's completely wrong in a couple ways:

1) Teams cannot walk away from a team-elected arbitration.

2) There is no matching option if a team walks away from a player-elected arbitration. Once the team walks the player is a UFA and the former team has no rights at all.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
O'Reilly is a tenacious competitor, on the ice and at the negotiating table. Funny how some will praise his values in one scenario but not the other. I, for one, love his refusal to admit defeat -- nay, winning isn't enough for O'Reilly; he must crush his enemies. Let it be known that if Ryan goes to Calgary, I will be going as well!

O'Reilly - 1
Avs terrible management - 0

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
ROR isn't going to turn the Flames around. Possible they make the playoffs, also entirely possible they finish in the basement. It really is a complete risk for both sides. That pick could turn into gold or it could be awful.

They have play us, Vancouver, SJ. If we win tonight, it's once again entirely possible they lose 3 straight without ROR. That could be there pick in the top 5 range when we decide not to match, who knows what happens after that. Just saying tho. Not a whole lot of games left, only 18 points right now and if they go on a slide or two a few weeks from now things could turn out good.

Of course they could get hot and we'd be screwed :laugh:

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I want a real answer to this. Why match on a guy who probably has no desire to sign here as a UFA?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
So, here's my take on this:

I think a lot of people that are bad mouthing RoR, should consider that there is a good chance that the Avs might match, especially when you consider the compensation.

Personally, I don't believe this was about the money for the Avs. This is a team that forked over $16M to David Jones because he was about to become a UFA and they wanted him here for the next 4 years. There's no one in their right mind that believes that Jones is better than O'Reilly, this was about RoR coming out of Entry Level and demanding too much and the Avs refusing to pay, based on their principles. Much like the Sabres did with Vanek, the Avs could very well match it and just say, WE DIDN'T GIVE HIM THAT CONTRACT, someone else did, we just don't want to lose the asset, we never did.

My only real question is, has the relationship gotten so bad that the Avs don't even want him back, even if the compensation is lousy? I don't know the answer to that.

I'm kind of 50/50 on it because:

A)I think RoR is a hell of a player and I think the Avs are better off keeping him than letting him go for anything less than a home run. Yeah it's a lot of money and he'll be getting it sooner than they anticipated but WE didn't give it to him, the Flames did and we just stuck to our guns.

B) Another part of me is thinking, there is probably no worse place for this guy to end up, than with this horribly run team that keeps going for it year after year only to suck and their best players well past their prime. Regardless of what # we would draft at, I think we'd get an amazing player and that would stick it to them even worst.

It WOULD be hilarious though if the Avs finished 28th overall and the Flames just miss the playoffs by ONE POINT and finish 17th overall and we win the lottery with THEIR PICK!! :laugh:

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
B) Another part of me is thinking, there is probably no worse place for this guy to end up, than with this horribly run team that keeps going for it year after year only to suck and their best players well past their prime. Regardless of what # we would draft at, I think we'd get an amazing player and that would stick it to them even worst.

We're old? Since when?

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Try to renogiate a long term deal. If that goes bad then you can trade him and get a much better return then this 1st and 3rd . The 1st rounder prolly being in the 12-18th range.

But if you match, you cannot trade him for a year. This will leave him near expiring on his contract if you do not get the renegotiated deal done, and as we all know, expiring contracts are not worth much when the team wants the player long term. It's all if, ands and buts at this point though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So, here's my take on this:

I think a lot of people that are bad mouthing RoR, should consider that there is a good chance that the Avs might match, especially when you consider the compensation.

Personally, I don't believe this was about the money for the Avs. This is a team that forked over $16M to David Jones because he was about to become a UFA and they wanted him here for the next 4 years. There's no one in their right mind that believes that Jones is better than O'Reilly, this was about RoR coming out of Entry Level and demanding too much and the Avs refusing to pay, based on their principles. Much like the Sabres did with Vanek, the Avs could very well match it and just say, WE DIDN'T GIVE HIM THAT CONTRACT, someone else did, we just don't want to lose the asset, we never did.

My only real question is, has the relationship gotten so bad that the Avs don't even want him back, even if the compensation is lousy? I don't know the answer to that.

I'm kind of 50/50 on it because:

A)I think RoR is a hell of a player and I think the Avs are better off keeping him than letting him go for anything less than a home run. Yeah it's a lot of money and he'll be getting it sooner than they anticipated but WE didn't give it to him, the Flames did and we just stuck to our guns.

It WOULD be hilarious though if the Avs finished 28th overall and the Flames just miss the playoffs by ONE POINT and finish 17th overall and we win the lottery with THEIR PICK!! :laugh:

Yeah this... But I'm leaning towards the pick. CGY won't be in our division next year either.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
If he DID NOT want to sign here (here as Colorado, United States), he would've never signed an offer sheet.

Long term signing. Hey taking $6.5m/y is pretty cush to be able to test the waters again soon, sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad