TSN: Flames sign O'Reilly to Offer Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Sakic also signed an offer sheet that was to my knowledge probably the most hostile offer sheet in history, which left the Avs scrambling and having to clear out salary, and he got back into the good graces as we all know.

I think you have to go with the 1998 Carolina offer sheet to Fedorov as the worst. $14m signing bonus, $2m salary and the poison pill $12m bonus if his team reached the conference finals--something Detroit was highly likely to do while Carolina wasn't. Detroit matched and it worked out to $28m for 43 total games including the playoffs in 1998.

*bonuses like team playoff performance are no longer allowed in contracts since the 2005 CBA.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I'm happy for ROR! Glad that he got contract that he did. Sticking it to the dumbasses in the FO... :laugh:

One way or the other Sherman is gonna look silly... :handclap:

So when we get a 1st and a 3rd and the 1st is in the top 5 and ROR goes back to being a 30 point player at 6.5 mil a year...Sherman will look silly?

To be fair, I dont know that will happen but it COULD

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
After watching Jones get a really good payout for a small sample of good play worries me in this situation. That's nearly 10 million dollars of cap space that could be for two players that are more useful on the third line than the second.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
So when we get a 1st and a 3rd and the 1st is in the top 5 and ROR goes back to being a 30 point player at 6.5 mil a year...Sherman will look silly?

This. The whole fiasco has made me as a fan want him cut loose.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Holy crap what news to come home to. The Avs did this to themselves. A potential mid round 1st, and a 3rd just sucks as a return.

I hate this situation. Ex Avalanche brass Feaster and Goulet just really putting the screws to the Avs.

Still feeling the same way about Sherman's performance? ;)

Gods, did he ever get bent over in this situation. Wow.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

I can't predict the future either, but unless Sherman can negociate a trade with the Flames that brings us a better return than a 1st and a 3rd. Sherman and the Avs are gonna look like morons next week...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs MATCH.....

@Avalanche
BREAKING: @Avalanche announced tonight that the team has matched the Calgary Flames’ offer sheet for forward Ryan O’Reilly. More to follow..

:yo:

Heebs21*

Still feeling the same way about Sherman's performance? ;)

Gods, did he ever get bent over in this situation. Wow.

This organization went from top notch to a league joke under Sherman's command. He has faild us fans miserably. We would be WAY better off if we would have kept all our players/picks instead of making all those ridiculous trades.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
Colorado Avalanche ‏@Avalanche
BREAKING: @Avalanche announced tonight that the team has matched the Calgary Flames’ offer sheet for forward Ryan O’Reilly. More to follow..

WHOOOOOOHOOOO!!!!

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Well I was wrong about the 7 days bit, but happy to know we matched. Still have some faith in this team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We matched? Already?

Now I'm wondering if Feaster and PL worked with each other to save face for the Avs? This is so weird.

How the hell is O'Reilly gonna look Duchene in the face after all of this?

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Told you guys, it wasn't about $$$ for the Avs, it was about principles.

Especially IF the Avs were one of those teams complaining about huge contracts coming out of Entry Level DURING the lockout, giving in to RoR would have looked extremely bad!!!

I wonder if it had anything to do with the 2-0 lead?! :sarcasm:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well that will be awkward next week in practice.

What do we do now? With ROR back we are finishing with a worse pick and this situation will blow up into our face in 1.5 years. I am a little scared.
Can anyone fill me in how team requested arbitration works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->