TSN: Flames sign O'Reilly to Offer Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
If he DID NOT want to sign here (here as Colorado, United States), he would've never signed an offer sheet.

Exactly, they have been far apart on money, it is not about location or situation.

I think the Avs will match, personally. Calgary took a flyer here but in the end it will just result in O'Reilly getting more or less the terms he was after, at least the per annum money.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
So, here's my take on this:

I think a lot of people that are bad mouthing RoR, should consider that there is a good chance that the Avs might match, especially when you consider the compensation.

Personally, I don't believe this was about the money for the Avs. This is a team that forked over $16M to David Jones because he was about to become a UFA and they wanted him here for the next 4 years. There's no one in their right mind that believes that Jones is better than O'Reilly, this was about RoR coming out of Entry Level and demanding too much and the Avs refusing to pay, based on their principles. Much like the Sabres did with Vanek, the Avs could very well match it and just say, WE DIDN'T GIVE HIM THAT CONTRACT, someone else did, we just don't want to lose the asset, we never did.

My only real question is, has the relationship gotten so bad that the Avs don't even want him back, even if the compensation is lousy? I don't know the answer to that.

I'm kind of 50/50 on it because:

A)I think RoR is a hell of a player and I think the Avs are better off keeping him than letting him go for anything less than a home run. Yeah it's a lot of money and he'll be getting it sooner than they anticipated but WE didn't give it to him, the Flames did and we just stuck to our guns.

B) Another part of me is thinking, there is probably no worse place for this guy to end up, than with this horribly run team that keeps going for it year after year only to suck and their best players well past their prime. Regardless of what # we would draft at, I think we'd get an amazing player and that would stick it to them even worst.

It WOULD be hilarious though if the Avs finished 28th overall and the Flames just miss the playoffs by ONE POINT and finish 17th overall and we win the lottery with THEIR PICK!! :laugh:

Lol, I have to admit as much as i want to keep ROR
that would be so effin sweet to have the top 2 or 2 of the top pick in the draft. When has that ever happened?

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
Did Sherman have any idea that this offer sheet was coming? Shouldn't he have been working the phones to see if he couldn't generate a better deal than a prospective first round pick and a third round pick? Even if he stepped back from his demands for a first round pick, a NHL player and a prospect, surely he could have swung a deal that could bring back more than what this offer sheet will get them if they let him walk.

I think the fact that an offer sheet came at all is interesting too. Maybe a trade was going to happen soon and Calgary worried their deal wouldn't be the one chosen or maybe the Avalanche were going to sign him anyways. Young players who can produce seem like a better bet than the chance that Calgary struggles and you guys get a top pick and the resulting player pans out at some point. Two years isn't a long time and I'm not sure if other players and their agents can use this situation as leverage during contract negotiations to up their own salaries given the extenuating circumstances of the signing. It's not like Colorado wanted to pay him 5M/year, but it does make sense from the standpoint of an organization trying to get better and win more games.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
A)I think RoR is a hell of a player and I think the Avs are better off keeping him than letting him go for anything less than a home run. Yeah it's a lot of money and he'll be getting it sooner than they anticipated but WE didn't give it to him, the Flames did and we just stuck to our guns.

If the Avs match, Sherman & Lacroix are going to have to answer to the Kroenkes: why wasn't this kid signed long before it got to this point?

Avs fans want to paint O'Reilly as greedy for not accepting that $3.5M, but the rest of the league was looking at us like we were complete doofuses for not getting a deal done. I believe O'Reilly would have signed for $4M, but I guess we'll never know because the Avs never offered more than $3.5M.

Sherman might have to let O'Reilly go just to save face with his boss. Of course, that could end up costing him his job, too. All I can say is: great job guys. Way to handle your assets.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If he DID NOT want to sign here (here as Colorado, United States), he would've never signed an offer sheet.

Avs future is much brighter than Flames future. I would think he'd prefer Avs to match if he feels there is a chance to mend fences with the front office.

O'Reilly wants to win cups.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Holy crap what news to come home to. The Avs did this to themselves. A potential mid round 1st, and a 3rd just sucks as a return.

I hate this situation. Ex Avalanche brass Feaster and Goulet just really putting the screws to the Avs.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
But if you match, you cannot trade him for a year. This will leave him near expiring on his contract if you do not get the renegotiated deal done, and as we all know, expiring contracts are not worth much when the team wants the player long term. It's all if, ands and buts at this point though.

So are rhe Flamers picks. All a big mystery. The only sure thing is we know ROR and how he plays this game. Match

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs future is much brighter than Flames future. I would think he'd prefer Avs to match if he feels there is a chance to mend fences with the front office.

You're one of the more intelligent posters here, what would you do (match or picks)? Calgary losing three games in the 7 days a good enough sample size to make a decision, because I personally don't think so?

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
If the Avs match, Sherman & Lacroix are going to have to answer to the Kroenkes: why wasn't this kid signed long before it got to this point?

Avs fans want to paint O'Reilly as greedy for not accepting that $3.5M, but the rest of the league was looking at us like we were complete doofuses for not getting a deal done. I believe O'Reilly would have signed for $4M, but I guess we'll never know because the Avs never offered more than $3.5M.

Sherman might have to let O'Reilly go just to save face with his boss. Of course, that could end up costing him his job, too. All I can say is: great job guys. Way to handle your assets.

I agree with this. Management has dug in too far. They won't swallow pride to give O'Reilly his money.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

No they don't. They don't even know who he is.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO

So hes signing with an aging Flames team?

I disagree.

Dollar signs trump Lord Stanley for ROR

Huis Clos*

You have no way of knowing that.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I'm happy for ROR! Glad that he got contract that he did. Sticking it to the dumbasses in the FO... :laugh:

One way or the other Sherman is gonna look silly... :handclap:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
You're one of the more intelligent posters here, what would you do (match or picks)? Is Calgary losing three games in the 7 days a good enough sample size to make a decision, because I personally don't think so?

The picks look much better if Flames are 7-10-3 than if they are 10-7-3.

I have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that Avs might be so fed up with the kid and his agent that it doesn't matter. They might not want to deal with him ever again and don't care where the picks end up.

We'll see what happens. It's going to be F5 time next Thursday.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
No they don't. They don't even know who he is.

This.

Both Owners with the name Kroenke don't even know what a Ryan O'Reilly is. Infact, they probably don't even know they still own a hockey team. It would be like dropping something down the seat of your couch and forgetting it was there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Looking forward to seeing #90 in the line up next Sunday against the Sharks. :naughty:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Not sure where you got this from but it's completely wrong in a couple ways:

1) Teams cannot walk away from a team-elected arbitration.

2) There is no matching option if a team walks away from a player-elected arbitration. Once the team walks the player is a UFA and the former team has no rights at all.

I missed the first part, but when did the second part change?

Nevermind, found out it was changed during the second lockout. Sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad