TSN: Flames sign O'Reilly to Offer Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I dont see him phoning it in. In fact I think he will play his ass off to justify being paid the moola

I agree. He'll still be O'Reilly.

I'm going to cheer for him and be a fan regardless but I don't care for all the "high character" and "ultimate team player" stuff anymore. He'll still work harder than most players and help us win but his reputation has taken a hit. "It's all about the Benjamins baby......."

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I dont see Hishon playing in Denver like ever. I almost wrote this guy off entirely. How many years has this concussion set him back? We need to send a horse head to Mcnabb.

Meh he's a kid. He might get back, you never know. I saw him play during the OHL finals and the Mem Cup before getting injured plus a few other games in that season and I was salvating over his potential. He's got a bit of a mean streak and two way game too. He is trying to get back and skating now from what we know so he's made progress slowly. David Perron took a year and a half plus. Hishon's not gonna give up his NHL dream so easily imo. Centre is not an issue for us. It's a blessing in disguise if anything that one of ROR/Stastny got traded.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Actually really like this. Two firsts in a strong draft is more than we could have hoped for. We have all been blowing hot wind over Trouba for a week, I'd take Jones/MacKinnon and another 5-10 pick in this upcoming draft over Oh'Byeilly. Quite excited actually.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Actually really like this. Two firsts in a strong draft is more than we could have hoped for. We have all been blowing hot wind over Trouba for a week, I'd take Jones/MacKinnon and another 5-10 pick in this upcoming draft over Oh'Byeilly. Quite excited actually.

We aren't getting two firsts for him. We are getting one and there's a very solid chance it isn't in the top 10. The other picks is a third.

If I could make a choice between Trouba alone and a pick in this draft that could range from 5-15, I take Trouba every time.

And people have been wanting Trouba AND another good player like Little for him.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Maybe ROR is team first, and knows when the Flames don't QO @6.5m he can come back to the Avs as a free agent and the Avs got a 1st & 3rd for a long term rental. :sarcasm:

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
We aren't getting two firsts for him. We are getting one and there's a very solid chance it isn't in the top 10. The other picks is a third.

If I could make a choice between Trouba alone and a pick in this draft that could range from 5-15, I take Trouba every time.

And people have been wanting Trouba AND another good player like Little for him.

Are you forgetting we have a first as well?

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
How is that relevant to O'Reilly? We would have that anyways.

It is relevant because we would end up having a buttload of picks in a very talent heavy draft. We already skirting along the bottom of the league right now and if our pick and calgary's end up being 10 or below, we have a chance of adding a lot of young talent very quickly. ROR is a good player but I don't see the purpose of matching for someone who has his attitude.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
A trade could still be worked out between us and Calgary right? Seems weird that no one is mentioning this. If Feaster really wants O'Reilly and the Avs are deadset on better compensation a trade seems to be the most likely outcome

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_22690792/ryan-oreilly-signed-offer-sheet-by-calgary-flames

Goulet gets his revenge. :sarcasm:

I think Chambers is just trying to start some more ****

Revenge? Sounds like he's still got a head injury.

Nope. Avs have only two options. Match and not match.

Pretty sure they can still negotiate with Calgary on different compensation, it was that way in the past anyways.

I hope we don't match this...6.5 QO offer in two years? No thanks. O'Reilly's agent is a genius.

Oh yeah, he's a superstar. Get RoR to sign for GIANT BUCKS in a CANADIAN MARKET for a team that refuses to rebuild and has poor upcoming prospects. I can think of a bunch of different words to describe him, "greedy 'tard" comes immediately to mind but 'genius' is certainly not one of them.

There is no way the Avs decide until the last minute.

For sure.

You can bet your ***** that Sherman is making the scouts work extra extra hard here in the next 7 days to see if they have a guy in the 10-15 range that they think is a home-run.

There are at least TWO currently rated around there or lower.

We've also taken guys like Ryan Stoa and Cameron Gaunce with our first picks. I'd rather have the guy we've invested 3 years in and KNOW is a good player over any maybes.

Both 2nd rounders AND under a different regime. (Ted Hampson)

Sherman needs to call the Flames in a day or two and say that PL and he decided that the compensation just was not enough to let him go. See if Flames will bite and bump up the compensation. If they call his bluff, then Avs can still choose to go either way.

Yeah, I think this may very well end up happening (as long as the rule hasn't changed).

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Last top 5 pick we took was Landeskog, we all can agree that turned out well. Can't we? I don't see this team turning it around with a shakeup in the D, even with ROR resigned. Also, why match when the guy is possibly soured on our organization? Plus an extra chance at Seth Jones isn't bad, is it?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
A trade could still be worked out between us and Calgary right? Seems weird that no one is mentioning this. If Feaster really wants O'Reilly and the Avs are deadset on better compensation a trade seems to be the most likely outcome

It's been mentioned alright. Just very unlikely. I've never seen this current management pull off unlikely yet savvy moves like that.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Oh yeah, he's a superstar. Get RoR to sign for GIANT BUCKS in a CANADIAN MARKET for a team that refuses to rebuild and has poor upcoming prospects. I can think of a bunch of different words to describe him, "greedy 'tard" comes immediately to mind but 'genius' is certainly not one of them.

Genius might be selling them short after what they just pulled off. Just got his completely unproven 21 year old center a HUGE payday. He got his money, everybody thought it was laughable but they pulled it off.

Greedy ********** but you gotta tip your hat to them, because ROR just got himself paid. Seriously he kicked his toys around and got 10 mill. People thought he was stupid for holding out, turns out it could be one of the best choices he's ever made. A year or two later, everybody sans Avs fans forget about this mess.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Are you forgetting we have a first as well?

I think his point is more that anyone thinking/hoping that the Flames pick will be top 10 is really just hoping.

If we don't match Calgary instantly becomes a borderline playoff team with ROR, Calgary just isn't that bad. A line of Tanguay-ROR-Iginla is kind of scary.

The Avs are totally screwed. They are in a no win in this situation. If we match were drastically overpaying a player and alienating the other more deserving players Landeskog, Duchene, and Varly. And if we decide to let him walk the compensation sucks because all it is some draft picks that are huge question marks.

The only way it works out for the Avs is if they get super lucky and Calgary sucks and end with a top 5 pick and then the top 5 pick doesn't become a bust.

We're totally screwed. I can't foresee any resolution that works well unless we get super lucky or we negotiate a trade with Calgary for different compensation which doesn't seem likely.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Uh guys... why are you banking on Calgary giving us a top ten pick? If anything, the Varly trade should have taught you all something. Anything. Can. Happen.

Yakupov to the Caps right? No, Forsberg.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Roger Millions @RogMillions
For what its worth a member of the Avs Organization told me moments ago..he does not believe they will. Match #Flames offer. #notmgmttype

I doubt a member of the Avs organization would tell this clown anything but just passing it along.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I think his point is more that anyone thinking/hoping that the Flames pick will be top 10 is really just hoping.

If we don't match Calgary instantly becomes a borderline playoff team with ROR, Calgary just isn't that bad. A line of Tanguay-ROR-Iginla is kind of scary.

The Avs are totally screwed. They are in a no win in this situation. If we match were drastically overpaying a player and alienating the other more deserving players Landeskog, Duchene, and Varly. And if we decide to let him walk the compensation sucks because all it is some draft picks that are huge question marks.

The only way it works out for the Avs is if they get super lucky and Calgary sucks and end with a top 5 pick and then the top 5 pick doesn't become a bust.

We're totally screwed. I can't foresee any resolution that works well unless we get super lucky or we negotiate a trade with Calgary for different compensation which doesn't seem likely.

I see people looking at this as glass half empty all the time. I guess as of late that is how we all feel with a talented group of guys coming up short. I just want to think that an extra first round pick in a very strong draft has got to mean something. Even if we match the offer, are we sure O'Reilly will want to sign back with us when he becomes an UFA? These are all problems. I am just trying to see it positively.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
After thinking about this, put me in the match column. I feel like if ROR not only matches his output but surpasses it over the next couple of years and we let him walk for a pick that will most likely be in the 15-20 range
Its only money we are losing, well not me the Avs actually. And to answer others that have said well what about Duchene, Varly, and EJ, last I looked Duchene is the only one of that group that should get a raise. Varly maybe, EJ ..unless he starts magically scoring goals again he wont make much more than what he is at now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Roger Millions couldn't even get Duchenes playing status for today right, despite being at the morning skate.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
We basically traded O'Reilly+Liles+ 1st in 2012 for Varly + 1st in 2013 + 3rd in 2013.

Would you take that deal?
I wouldn't, but it isn't that far off.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Last top 5 pick we took was Landeskog, we all can agree that turned out well. Can't we? I don't see this team turning it around with a shakeup in the D, even with ROR resigned. Also, why match when the guy is possibly soured on our organization? Plus an extra chance at Seth Jones isn't bad, is it?

I don't agree yet. Wait and see with Landeskog IMO. I was pretty vocally against he choice when we made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad