Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Mikael Backlund 3 year ( $3.575M AAV )

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Much more than you if you think Backlund would be an NHL calibe defenseman or goaltender.

You're forgetting that NHL goalies these days don't need skill or technique. Their save percentage is based on the size of their equipment. Backlund would be just fine between the pipes. You're blinded by your bias once again.

Is there a synonym for vendetta that works with "Mikael" as well as "vendetta" works with "Sven?"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You're forgetting that NHL goalies these days don't need skill or technique. Their save percentage is based on the size of their equipment. Backlund would be just fine between the pipes. You're blinded by your bias once again.

Is there a synonym for vendetta that works with "Mikael" as well as "vendetta" works with "Sven?"
No, I don't think there is.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Wish we would trade Backlund personally, but he will be a solid asset in a few years if he can't break through consistently healthy and offensively. By far the most overrated Flame on the team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like this signing. They got good term and value from it. I think Backlund's going to make a perfect third line centre once Bennett's ready to take up the second line duties.

Perfect position for both the team and the player. He gets two years to prove his mettle; gets one where he'll be leaned heavily upon as the shutdown + offensive second line C behind Monahan; and then as the shutdown C that'll be relied on a lot less offensively in year 2-3.

Also bought us two years of UFA. Well done Treliving.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Even if there are continuing unlucky health issues or someone like Jankowski or Arnold emerge as more typical third line centres (i.e. better at faceoffs), it's pretty simple to move Backlund to the LW, where he's had some success previously (granted, not in the NHL). Would increase the odds of him being the next Steen as well.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Even if there are continuing unlucky health issues or someone like Jankowski or Arnold emerge as more typical third line centres (i.e. better at faceoffs), it's pretty simple to move Backlund to the LW, where he's had some success previously (granted, not in the NHL). Would increase the odds of him being the next Steen as well.

If Backlund puts up Steen numbers, I will eat my shoe.

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
Fair deal for both sides I say. The question for me now is figuring out his offensive ceiling. Is he a 20-40 guys or 40-50? If he's the latter, this will be a bargain signing

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Fair deal for both sides I say. The question for me now is figuring out his offensive ceiling. Is he a 20-40 guys or 40-50? If he's the latter, this will be a bargain signing

Are you factoring injuries? Because I'd say he's a well-established 0.5 point-per-game player at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad