Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Mikael Backlund 3 year ( $3.575M AAV )

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Eh... that's a bit higher than I had hoped for. Oh well. They've got their #3 center locked down for a few years now.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If he can stay healthy, he's worth every penny....if. All and all I think it's fair.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think it was a decent signing. I know I was advocating for just a 3x3, but an extra 575k for 3 years isn't going to anger me at all.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Fair deal imo. Not overpaid, no big discount. Got our homegrown #3 shutdown C locked up for a few years. I like it!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Great deal. The term is key. Two years from now is realistically when we'll know what we have in the centre ice position with Monahan, Bennett and Jankowski etc. So that's when we'll have to make a decision on whether Backlund is part of the core going forward or not. Perfect time to have one year left on his deal. $3.575M for one year will not scare teams off if they like his upside.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I got no issues with this, he's our #2 as of today and is able to play top 6. I do expect Bennett to pass him eventually, but that's fine. Backs is a reliable guy (when healthy). At least it's not over 4, eat it Boomer.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
He's most likely going to be the number two center next year which leaves two years at 3.57 as a third liner, if Bennett is ready to take over. To me this deal as I said earlier is perfect as the money and term are perfect to either be on the team as a #2 or #3 or be traded as the organization sees fit.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's most likely going to be the number two center next year which leaves two years at 3.57 as a third liner, if Bennett is ready to take over. To me this deal as I said earlier is perfect as the money and term are perfect to either be on the team as a #2 or #3 or be traded as the organization sees fit.

I agree, and if he does well next year as our #2 but at the same time Bennett makes him expendable, well then we have a very nice asset on our hands to deal. We several guys in Jooris, Granlund and Shore who could replace Backlund as our #3 by then.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I got no issues with this, he's our #2 as of today and is able to play top 6. I do expect Bennett to pass him eventually, but that's fine. Backs is a reliable guy (when healthy). At least it's not over 4, eat it Boomer.

There's also the possibility that if Bennett establishes himself as a #2C, Backlund plays on his LW in a Hossa type two-way winger role :naughty:

May 27, 2012
Earth
Depends on Bennett really. If he is going to develop as a center or a winger. Having Bennett as career winger isn't our first choice, but if for whatever reason he can't be a center, Backlund at a 2C is decent. We got other guys who can play 3C anyways. Could be like a Galchenyuk but better.

In the end really it doesn't matter in a couple of seasons because we don't know what the roster is going to look like. Players will be brought in and others shipped out. Going forward though I would prefer Backlund as #3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad