Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Michael Stone (no, really)

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Okay, so admitedly Brodie has been a hot pile of poo away from Gio, but what I've listed below looks like a solid 6:

Giordano - Andersson (23 minutes)
Hanifin - Hamonic (21 minutes)
Brodie - Stone (16 minutes)

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Okay, so admitedly Brodie has been a hot pile of poo away from Gio, but what I've listed below looks like a solid 6:

Gio will probably get 25 minutes. I think Brodie and Andersson will take turns on the 1st and 3rd pairing depending on Brodie or matchups.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

I think that's a good looking lineup for say, 30 games or so of the year with Kylington and Andersson being the bottom pair for the other 50 or so games.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm okay with this. Actually I'm happy about this. I never could understand why some on here have such a hard on hate for Stone.
I think he'll be a great 6/7 d-man that can play both sides and can occasionally/temporarily fill in on the 2nd line if injuries require it.
In my opinion there's no doubt he's better than many other options out there that were available at league minimum.
Glad to see him back with the team. :thumbu:
Good move by Treliving.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
I'd take bookmaker odds on Stone having a career year. This is a prove-it deal, giving him time to either show up or give him time and notice to move his family if necessary. This is a huge win for both parties - he gets to stay put, the Flames save cap space

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I'd take bookmaker odds on Stone having a career year. This is a prove-it deal, giving him time to either show up or give him time and notice to move his family if necessary. This is a huge win for both parties - he gets to stay put, the Flames save cap space

He’s the #7 lol. I doubt it tbh.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's another 700K less to sign Chucky. But I mean if you want 8 D.
No it's not 700k less, we still have to fill out a roster and as has been pointed out numerous times over the last couple years, it is uncommon for Western Conference teams to not run a 23 man roster, especially those where it takes a full day to recall someone. So, whether we go with 7D/14F, or 8D/13F, it doesn't make lick of difference. And if Tre shocks and goes with a 22 man roster, all signing Stone does is push Davidson to the AHL

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think that's a good looking lineup for say, 30 games or so of the year with Kylington and Andersson being the bottom pair for the other 50 or so games.
I think we see Andersson play with Giordano for the first 10-15 games of the season and then if Andersson is struggling, or seems over his hear we will re-evaluate. I also think if Stone is used as the #6 to play with Brodie, Kylington will start in Stockton to keep him playing bigger minutes and take a minuscule amount against the cap.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think that signing Stone possibly puts Brodie back on the trading block for a GM looking for cap relief in order to get Chucky signed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think that signing Stone possibly puts Brodie back on the trading block for a GM looking for cap relief in order to get Chucky signed.
I think that is extremely unlikely. I like Stone alot, but he is a big question mark after having his ACL repaired in 2015-16 and then losing most of 2018-19 to a blood clot. Players that miss that much time often have trouble catching back up. Stone is a depth move due to the injury to Valimaki, it's not part of some bigger plan.

We all know that is we need to dump 2m-3m in salary it is Frolik who is rumored to want out that is on the block. With him being a pending UFA, it's not going to cripple up losing him for next to nothing if that is what it comes to.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think Brodie only goes for a forward who can help the Flames. Who knows if one is still available.

Frolik is the contract they will look to dump to make cap space for Tkachuk.

IMO.
I think Treliving is having a difficult time moving Frolik. Brodie might be more attractive to other teams. Personally I think Brodie would be missed more than Frolik but if Tre can't get an acceptable return for Frolik Tre might be forced to move Brodie instead. Now that Stone is back with the team it's certainly an option that's back on the table.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Brodie's "been on the block" for 3 years according to fans. If it was gonna happen, it would've already happened

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Brodie's "been on the block" for 3 years according to fans. If it was gonna happen, it would've already happened
One year ago that was wishful thinking by some fans. After Brodie's return to form during last season nobody was shouting "trade Brodie".... particularly when the Flames were having their best season in decades.
One year ago Brodie's trade value was minimal. Today it's a lot higher.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Not officially, but non-deals are never officially confirmed. I forget which reporter it was has stated the deal was Jankowski & Brodie for Kadri & Brown, with the Flames flipping Brown to a 3rd team.

I never saw the Brown flipping bit. I would have hoped we'd keep him tbh. Our RW depth is THAT bad lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad