Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Michael Stone (no, really)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
What I meant to say is that, we should be focusing on Matthew Tkachuk and Mangiapane, they should be the main concerns.

I am sure they still are. If anything this might be some more cap maneuvering by Treliving. 700k is pretty much the minimum caphit for a NHL roster player. It fills one of our roster slots at league minimum, meaning we can shave off another 100-200k in cap space by assigning someone else to the AHL.

Reactions: viper0220

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What I meant to say is that, we should be focusing on Matthew Tkachuk and Mangiapane, they should be the main concerns.
This is an awful point of view. You do know that teams can negotiate with multiple players at the same time, right? You also know if a team submits an offer to a player, that the player's agent doesn't always respond in 5 seconds, right?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am sure they still are. If anything this might be some more cap maneuvering by Treliving. 700k is pretty much the minimum caphit for a NHL roster player. It fills one of our roster slots at league minimum, meaning we can shave off another 100-200k in cap space by assigning someone else to the AHL.
All it did is replace Davidson on the roster (on cap friendly anyway), but I do think we will probably go with 8D and 13F again this year.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This is an awful point of view. You do know that teams can negotiate with multiple players at the same time, right? You also know if a team submits an offer to a player, that the player's agent doesn't always respond in 5 seconds, right?

The taring camp is around the corner, I am just worried.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Buy-out Stone only to re-sign Stone.

Words can't express how f***ing pissed off I am. Useless player screwing the Flames twice. Just when I think they get this absolute bum off this team they bring him back. Kylington going to get screwed no matter how much better he is because "muh right hand shot".

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary

Words can't express how ****ing pissed off I am. Useless player screwing the Flames twice. Just when I think they get this absolute bum off this team they bring him back. Kylington going to get screwed no matter how much better he is because "muh right hand shot".
Hot take alert!

Depth defense is good. 800K is good. Blood clots are bad but that's not his fault. It's Tre's fault for the bad contract. This is a good move as the Flames need a capable D and Stone isn't an 800K D. This money would have been spent on a lesser D anyway.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Words can't express how ****ing pissed off I am. Useless player screwing the Flames twice. Just when I think they get this absolute bum off this team they bring him back. Kylington going to get screwed no matter how much better he is because "muh right hand shot".

I don't get the anger. Who else at that price point would you rather spend that coin on if we need to sign a RHS RD anyways? This doesn't screw the Flames IMO, this actually benefits the Flames. If not for the RFA contract demands, perhaps we don't need to buy out stone in the first place and just let his contract expire.

I think the expectation is that Stone doesn't play the entire time anyways and can slot in very nicely "cold" when he does. It's better than chasing a guy like Pysyk who expects to play and perhaps wouldn't slot in as nicely as Stone. The guy is supposed to much popcorn most of the time so that the kids can develop and we don't sit around with no contingency plan. Even if Stone is no longer a reasonable 4/5 at least he should be a very good option as a 6/7.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Everyone knows your cp burner now lol

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I’m not going to be entirely surprised personally if we move Brodie.
meme-do-pikachu-surpreso-og.jpg

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't get the anger. Who else at that price point would you rather spend that coin on if we need to sign a RHS RD anyways? This doesn't screw the Flames IMO, this actually benefits the Flames. If not for the RFA contract demands, perhaps we don't need to buy out stone in the first place and just let his contract expire.

I think the expectation is that Stone doesn't play the entire time anyways and can slot in very nicely "cold" when he does. It's better than chasing a guy like Pysyk who expects to play and perhaps wouldn't slot in as nicely as Stone. The guy is supposed to much popcorn most of the time so that the kids can develop and we don't sit around with no contingency plan. Even if Stone is no longer a reasonable 4/5 at least he should be a very good option as a 6/7.

'cause he sucks. Hi, I provide nothing to the team give me 3 years $10 mil +. Buy me out then bring me back.

giphy.gif

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The signing was for defensive depth what with Valimaki essentially being done for the season. Trading any defenceman would just recreate the problem.

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson
Davidson-Stone
Yelesin

Keep in mind, organizations need at least nine NHL capable defencemen over the course of a season and secondly, the Heat needs defensemen too, which is part of the reason why Davidson and Yelesin were brought in. But Yelesin's 925K cap hit works against him when both Davidson and Stone are 225K cheaper.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Stone is a significantly more useful player at $700K than the other options available on the UFA market.
Not only this, but he's already familiar with the coach, the team as a whole, the system, and the city. And the fact that he re-signed at the league minimum here, knowing he'd be the 7thD, means he probably likes being here.

Yes his last contract was an overpay, and he had some unfortunate injuries, but he wasn't a useless player by any means. If he's willing to put in the work, and puts it all on the line when he is playing, I'm not going to be mad at this obvious depth signing (considering the most likely alternative to Stone would have been MacDonald, and I'd rather Stone every day of the week, and twice on Sundays).

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad