Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Lance Bouma to 3-year, $2.2M AAV contract

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't disagree with anything you or others are saying, I just think Pinder had an interesting point. If management is really high on a guy and they forecast that he could get paid 'X' amount in a year or 2, well you have to at least consider anyway that you could get him at a discount.

But I agree, I think it's very probable that he gets a 1-year deal.
Honestly Pinder's point is stupid and poorly thought out. Getting Bouma cheap last year is not comparable to Ferland this year. Ferland this year would be comparable to Bouma 2 years ago as that was when Bouma was coming out of his ELC and hadn't established himself as a full-time NHL player yet. Bouma then took that 1 year contract and earned his NHL job. You simply can't give guys who haven't earned their place in the league long term deals.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah the point Pinter made reminds me of something one might do in NHL15 and not real life. The average career of an NHL player (how many seasons they actually stick in the NHL) is under 5 years. Giving 3-4 year deals to fringe players who have just broken out is incredibly risky.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So, you you sign all of these types of guys to 4 years deal with cheap money?

Saying that Bouma could have signed cheaply is hindsight.

Shold we give Jooris a 4 year deal?

It is hindsight, he admitted that it's Monday morning QB which is why he brought the point up about Ferland and forecasting a players future worth. More than anything he was trying to be creative with ways in saving cap.

He brought up the Keith deal and how amazing that looks now, but he also mentioned the Bickell deal and how terrible that looks. It's a risk, it can either make a GM look really stupid or like a genius. Obviously the safe play is waiting to see how it turns out.

I like Pinder, nonetheless I do appreciate his attempts in trying to think outside the box.

May 27, 2012
Earth
It is hindsight, he admitted that it's Monday morning QB which is why he brought the point up about Ferland and forecasting a players future worth. More than anything he was trying to be creative with ways in saving cap.

He brought up the Keith deal and how amazing that looks now, but he also mentioned the Bickell deal and how terrible that looks. It's a risk, it can either make a GM look really stupid or like a genius. Obviously the safe play is waiting to see how it turns out.

I like Pinder, nonetheless I do appreciate his attempts in trying to think outside the box.

The only problem I have with his is that the Kieth contract is "good" because of the dead years they added on the final years.

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/499

His cap hit may be $5,538,461, but he made 7.6 Million this year for Salary, and then 7.5 next season. It goes down to 1.5 M in his final year. It looks good because you can't do those kind of deals anymore.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The only problem I have with his is that the Kieth contract is "good" because of the dead years they added on the final years.

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/499

His cap hit may be $5,538,461, but he made 7.6 Million this year for Salary, and then 7.5 next season. It goes down to 1.5 M in his final year. It looks good because you can't do those kind of deals anymore.

For sure, but the real money doesn't mean much, it's all about the cap hit. Granted you can't do that exact type of Keith deal anymore, but Pinder was suggesting locking a guy up to a low number before he's earned it to save cap.

The risk is if he develops how you project it could work out very well. But if he busts, you're totally ******.

Anyways, enough beating this dead horse. I just like that he thinks outside the box, he's much more enjoyable to listen to than Boomer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad