Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Lance Bouma to 3-year, $2.2M AAV contract

Aug 3, 2010
3 years @ 2.2AAV is a bit much but it's definitely buoyed by last year's production. As a career bottom sixer I understand he's gotta squeeze every dollar he can out of the team, but I was really hoping for somewhere around 1.8m due to term. Gotta hope he produces ~20+ pts a year.

Makes me a bit nervous about Jooris and Byron now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
3 years @ 2.2AAV is a bit much but it's definitely buoyed by last year's production. As a career bottom sixer I understand he's gotta squeeze every dollar he can out of the team, but I was really hoping for somewhere around 1.8m due to term. Gotta hope he produces ~20+ pts a year.

Makes me a bit nervous about Jooris and Byron now.

Just how I feel, I would have been happy with 1.9, but I can live with this. It's really pennies in the overall scheme of things, but good for him I guess on maximizing what he signed for.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's fair.

Seems to be a collective desire to be as stingy as possible and underpay every player this off season. Bouma already took a 'bridge' or 'show me' contract last year; he responded tremendously. I can easily see him becoming a staple on the third line alongside Backlund and probably Frolik as the teams top shutdown line for the next few years. His offensive might decease a bit but he makes up for it with all his intangibles.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Im happy. Absolute warrior player that is capable of 10-15 goals and can stay healthy even though he is blocking and hitting everything. If he can play the next 3 seasons healthy while getting that 10-15 goal mark its a hell of a deal IMO.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's fair.

Seems to be a collective desire to be as stingy as possible and underpay every player this off season. Bouma already took a 'bridge' or 'show me' contract last year; he responded tremendously. I can easily see him becoming a staple on the third line alongside Backlund and probably Frolik as the teams top shutdown line for the next few years. His offensive might decease a bit but he makes up for it with all his intangibles.

Yeah, I agree with all of this. You can't expect to keep a team together and make guys happy if you're going to keep lowballing everyone at every chance. Bouma deserves this contract, and I'm happy this has been resolved without resorting to arbitration.

bWo*

Overpaid by a bit but not too much to complain about it. Heart and soul type guy.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Love that deal. I figured he'd be getting a one year deal. Glad to see him locked up for three. 2.2 million is nothing.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
IMO it's not too much. I predicted 3 years, 7 M$. Bouma is a fighter, and deserves every penny.

Just get rid of Raymond, Hiller and maybe Wideman to free almost 13M$ space.

Aug 3, 2010
It's fair.

Just wondering, but do you disagree with the fact that the team elected for arbitration results instead of just giving him what he was asking for?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just wondering, but do you disagree with the fact that the team elected for arbitration results instead of just giving him what he was asking for?
Bouma also has one of the stingiest agents in the league, that cannot be forgotten the guy is terrible.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Not worried about the cap situation either. Even with Gaudreau and Monahan getting raises soon, the team still has Jones, Raymond, Stajan, Bollig, Smid, and Engelland all coming off deals in 1-3 years.

If Gio is re-signed, I think it will be the end of Russell here. Although honestly, I'm starting to think that maybe letting Gio go might be the right idea, depending on his demands. I also think Hudler will be gone next year.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
In he grand scheme of things, the difference between a 1.8 which I thought/was hoping, and 2.2, is nothing. Happy we got him locked up for a few.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It's fair.

Giving him a little less money for 3 years or keeping the contract shorter wouldn't be underpaying him, though. If you're paying him solely on effort and inflated production, then sure he's worth 2.2 million. If you're paying him based on how necessary he is to the success of the team and the fact that he probably just finished an unrepeatable career season, he's being overpaid.

I hope he magically ends up being a 30 point player and living up to his contract, but I just don't expect it in the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad