Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jacob Markstrom (6 years, $6,000,000 AAV)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Sounds like something Tampa would have thought 5+ years ago, and Pittsburgh would've thought back in 2010. Not to mention St. Louis and Washington. All teams that won the Cup after this breaking point you're referring to.
I'm not sure what you mean. Tampa's about to undergo a major facelift. Pittsburgh looks completely different every year. LA's been there. Chicago is currently deciding if they should continue retooling or do a firesale. Columbus is in a weird no man's land. Not to mention Minnesota, Florida, Montreal.

St. Louis was also inches away from blowing it up

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Canucks fan here.
He's legit soo good. Top 10 IMO and better than stats indicate.
Term on this is kinda ugly but whatever. Go for it. He'll win u games on his own.
Canucks went with cap savings and Demko as he's the future.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Even if he bombs and this signing ends up being awful, I wouldn't even hold it against Brad. He got the best goalie on the market, and one whose a decent age and is a legit #1 at the time of the signing. People have been getting on his case about goaltending his entire tenure here.

And imagine the reaction if he DIDN'T sign Markstrom? People then would have gotten on his case worse.

I'm happy. I think it's a solid deal, and if the back half of this deal is awful we'll deal with it then. No sense worrying about 2024 when we need to worry about 2021

So I'm pleased.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'm not a big fan of paying goalies big money but 6M if he keeps up what he was doing in Vancouver for the next 4-5 years isn't bad at all. I wonder if Rittich gets traded, for a team looking to add a 2.75 million dollar backup isn't ideal.

Reactions: User1996

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I don't like it, hopefully our piece of shit goalie coach does not f*** this up.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Because he doesnt want to be backup. And Im not sure the Flames want this much tied up in goaltending. Well see though. With a condensed schedule we will need 2 solid goalies.
Then he should be better than a backup.

He's been given the reins twice, and dropped them twice.

Still reliable as a backup though, and can pinch hit if there's a crisis.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Canucks fan here to say congratulations folks. I really liked Marky (not just he’s a fellow Ginger) and am really happy for him that he got his payday and term. He certainly earned it.

Although we’re rivals I wish him & your Boys all the best.
FEC0998D-4B00-40E4-8D9B-8C0FFC6D285C.gif

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Regarding Rittich, I do believe this upcoming season will likely be his last year here regardless of performance. If he does really well he will be priced out of Calgary, if he does poorly, well...

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Big 'ol Dave cant be happy with this.

Rittich also said he wasn't happy with himself.

Flames also said they hired a sports psychologist to help him out. Rittich derailed somehow and he's not happy, but I truly don't think he blames anyone else for receiving the starter role over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad