Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Devin Setoguchi - (1 year, 750k)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I'm really indifferent to this signing to be totally honest. The positives, he's only making 750k meaning that he'll be hungry like Raymond was last year to play for a contract. If the kids are not ready, he's another vet guy that can step in and play.

The cons, I would of rather given a spot to the kids, but I do support the notion that the kids need to earn their spot, nothing should be given to them. And I still feel like this signing won't prevent that from happening either, if one or even two of the young guys earn a spot, I'm confident that room will be made to accommodate them. I also don't like that Seto has a history of being lazy, that's not a good example for our kids. But Hartley is the boss, and he has no problem benching anyone like he did with Galliardi last year.

All in all, this was a good move, but I don't believe that Seto will have much impact next season. To me, he's a more physical Nigel Dawes and I think he'll pot 20-25 pts next year. Hopefully he plays well though and he lands us another 2nd rounder in next years draft.

I think he's intended more as a Stempniak replacement than a Cammy one. I guess you could say we replaced Stamps with Raymond though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So thus far:

Offense
Cammy >> Raymond
Stemps >> Setoguchi
Westgarth < Bollig

Defense
Butler > Engelland

Goaltending
Berra <<< Hiller

Lost a bit of offense, defense a little worse, and got a decent goaltender... Might have a lot more one goal games again, but with the lost offense, we might be losing a lot more of those than what we did last year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So thus far:

Offense
Cammy >> Raymond
Stemps >> Setoguchi
Westgarth < Bollig

Defense
Butler > Engelland

Goaltending
Berra <<< Hiller

Lost a bit of offense, defense a little worse, and got a decent goaltender... Might have a lot more one goal games again, but with the lost offense, we might be losing a lot more of those than what we did last year.

Unless Hiller wins the Vezina; this is going to be a pretty rough season. Honestly.

Hoping guys like Backs keep progressing and one of the kids shows up big time. Only way we'll be a decent team is if people play above and beyond;because this team on paper is pretty bad.

Last edited:

JulianHopper*

Devin Setoguchi

This is really a low risk move by the Flames that has some real potential upside. So in that sense it's not a bad move by any stretch.

Brad Treliving is shoring up the right wing as well as improving the 3rd and 4th lines by signing Setoguchi.

Devin Setoguchi signed for less than a third of what he earned last season. He's still young (27) and has good speed. The knock on him is that he's inconsistent and can be a liability defensively. I'm sure coach Hartley will get him going the right way though. The Flames have a good system here were they can bring in players like Setoguchi and get a good upside on a player almost immediately.

Doesn't hurt to have some good veteran presence at training camp either especially when the Flames now have quite a few prospects that need to prove that they can be on the big club.

Setoguchi has played 459 NHL games and was a -7 last season with just over 15 min TOI in 75 games played which is decent.

So taking in consideration that the Flames need to improve on the RW as well as the 3rd and 4th lines then this is a good move by GM Brad Treliving.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
So thus far:

We lost a LOT of offense and one of the league leaders in blocked shots. Besides goaltending, the team is worse in all respects. By far the worst roster in the league which hopefully means an elite prospect (finally).

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
No. We replaced Cammy with Raymond. Once Cammy signed in New Jersey, we signed Raymond right away.

They probably have known Cammy was walking awhile. Just because they signed at a similar time doesn't mean that hes a Cammy replacement. You are making an assumption here.

In any case, its really just semantics haha.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think the Burliving plan on moving Hudler at some point in the next year; likely as soon as one of Gaudreau or Baertschi have secured a spot with the Flames.

The deadline could be fun if the market is any good.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
So a healthy forward lineup is more or less looking like this:

Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Hudler - Backlund - Setoguchi
Raymond - Monahan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan
Byron

These guys are going to be brutal to watch, though I get that it's best for guys like Gaudreau, Baertschi, and Granlund to develop in the AHL (though I do think Reinhart is ready). Plus this group of forwards puts us in McDavid/Eichel contention without developing young players (sans Monahan) in a losing environment.

Key word "healthy". That doesn't tend to happen. I'm fairly confident JH will be up for the full year. Sven, Reinhart, Granlund will all have a shot, especially as the year moves along.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the Burliving plan on moving Hudler at some point in the next year; likely as soon as one of Gaudreau or Baertschi have secured a spot with the Flames.

The deadline could be fun if the market is any good.

That's pretty much my thoughts, I really hope the target is one of the young dman on Phoenix. If Seto plays well and pots 40pts, they can sign him to an extension and move Hudler for someone like Stone. Seto isn't replacing Huds, the idea is that one of Gaudreau or Sven will be. Seto can play on the 3rd, and we bolster our D by adding a guy like Stone, that's an all around win if it plays out like that.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I really hated this signing at first, but the comments on here made me reconsider. Not too bad.

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Raymond - Monahan - Setoguchi
Byron - Stajan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan
Jones

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Smid
Russell - Engelland

Ramo
Hiller

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I was listening to some writer for Sportsnet on the radio with Steinberg yesterday who has done some pretty extensive stats on Seto over his career. He noted that he excelled in San Jose playing with Thornton (duh) as well as a little bit in Minny with Koivu and Coyle. He noted that Seto's career shooting % is around 11% and it's been its highest around Joe and Koivu - who both have very good possession numbers.

Once he went to Winnipeg and started playing with Jokinen, who has terrible possession numbers, he went downhill with his shooting % going to like 6% and his shots/60min bottoming to like 6 or 7.

His point was when he plays with Centers with good possession numbers, he typically does well and with Backlund being one of the top possession guys in the league, he is likely to see at least marginal success playing alongside him.

With all that being said, I think he has to spend as much time on Backlund's wing as possible. I could even see a Sven/Johnny-Backlund-Setoguchi line being pretty effective on the 3rd line.

Lets say he does kind of revive his career here and earn another contract, I think he'd be that great veteran presence on the 3rd line once we get another 1st line RWer.

Gaudreau - McDavid/Eichel - Bennett
Baertschi - Monahan - Poirier/Colborne
Colborne/Poirier - Backlund - Setoguchi
Any number of our 4th liners

And that's even leaving out guys like Klimchuk, Jankowski, Granlund etc. I know he looks a bit odd there, but we can't exactly have Backlund as our most senior player.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Thanks for that Rangediddy! From that, Backlund/Stajan would suit him best. Maybe you put Hudler on the LW with Seto and Backs, and keep Glencross with Stajan.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Well, 2 years ago Glencross/Stajan/Stempniak were a fairly effective line. Maybe Setogucci could replace Stempniak. Stajan is likely the best playmaker on the Flames (Yuck).

As far as Seto with Backlund goes, it's worth a shot. One of my concerns with Backlund over the years is that he really doesn't seem to be able to develop good chemistry with any line mates long term.(Kind of like Lombardi in that way) It would be nice if he could go on a line, and it gels.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
Well, 2 years ago Glencross/Stajan/Stempniak were a fairly effective line. Maybe Setogucci could replace Stempniak. Stajan is likely the best playmaker on the Flames (Yuck).

As far as Seto with Backlund goes, it's worth a shot. One of my concerns with Backlung over the years is that he really doesn't seem to be able to develop good chemistry with any line mates long term.(Kind of like Lombardi in that way) It would be nice if he could go on a line, and it gels.

I don't know about that...what Flames team did you watch? Backlund/Hudler are the best playmakers on the team.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I don't know about that...what Flames team did you watch? Backlund/Hudler are the best playmakers on the team.

Hudler is the best playmaker. I was looking at center. Although Backlund is a better all around player, Stajan is a better playmaker IMO.

And way to play the "you must not watch Flames hockey" card. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that everyone who posts on this board watches the Flames.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Hudler is the best playmaker. I was looking at center. Although Backlund is a better all around player, Stajan is a better playmaker IMO.

And way to play the "you must not watch Flames hockey" card. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that everyone who posts on this board watches the Flames.

Backlund is our best play making center, Stajan can be...but the last time he was a playmaking center was when he in Toronto. He is better at being our most defensive center. I also didn't say "you must not watch flames hockey" I basically said what you see from the games is different. Oh well, we get our own take from games.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

I disagree. Stajan should only be considered a playmaker because he is simply a "pass first" guy. His passes are very direct and not very creative, unlike the plays that Backlund can make. The best "playmaking" that Stajan had done that I've witnessed have been on 2 lines:
Cervenka - Stajan - Hudler
and
Glencross - Stajan - Glencross

That first line was carried my the passing plays that Hudler seemed to love setting up that particular season, and that second line was all crash the net. Stajan should be considered a defensive centerman before he should considered a playmaker.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I disagree. Stajan should only be considered a playmaker because he is simply a "pass first" guy. His passes are very direct and not very creative, unlike the plays that Backlund can make. The best "playmaking" that Stajan had done that I've witnessed have been on 2 lines:
Cervenka - Stajan - Hudler
and
Glencross - Stajan - Glencross

That first line was carried my the passing plays that Hudler seemed to love setting up that particular season, and that second line was all crash the net. Stajan should be considered a defensive centerman before he should considered a playmaker.

I wasn't aware we cloned Glencross. When did this happen :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad