Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Devin Setoguchi - (1 year, 750k)

Trae

Calgary
K.

Cheap, low risk, natural right shot. I'll be curious to see him in TC anyways.

May 27, 2012
Earth
There is a right winger everybody was freaking out about, just not the one people expected. Low risk, high reward. I don't mind the signing, it can't hurt anyways.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I like it. Cheap, low risk, and lots of potential if he can get his play close to his San Jose days. I think after his less than ideal numbers in Minnesota and Winnipeg, he'll feel he'll have something to prove.

He's this year's Galiardi, right down to being a fellow Alberta boy.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Is that a good thing?

Well, it's not a bad thing. It's a short term, cheap contract for him to prove something. It doesn't restrict our spending and he's not anchored to us for years. At worst, we have a 3rd/4th line plugger. At best, we get 20 goals out of him. The only concern I have is he has a bit of a reputation of having a bad attitude.

It's just unfortunate Galiardi didn't pan out for us.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
All these NHL contracts are making it really hard to believe we'll be seeing Sven or Jonny this year. Not that it's a big hit to sit $750 K but I think Seto will have something to prove.

May 27, 2012
Earth
All these NHL contracts are making it really hard to believe we'll be seeing Sven or Jonny this year. Not that it's a big hit to sit $750 K but I think Seto will have something to prove.

Is it really bad thing though not to see Sven or Johnny, possibly both? This won't hurt, Treveling wouldn't have signed the guy if it wasn't necessary.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Is it really bad thing though not to see Sven or Johnny, possibly both? This won't hurt, Treveling wouldn't have signed the guy if it wasn't necessary.

No, it's not a bad thing at all, I've supported another AHL season for both of them from the start. Would be really nice to see them pushing each other and battling for a spot this year!

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
He'll be motivated to play good hockey this year. Where could you possibly go if you're not resigned by a basement dwelling team at basically the league minimum salary? This would be his last NHL team if he doesn't play hard.

And if he doesn't play hard, he gets waived and we bring in a kid. No downside.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
So a healthy forward lineup is more or less looking like this:

Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Hudler - Backlund - Setoguchi
Raymond - Monahan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan
Byron

These guys are going to be brutal to watch, though I get that it's best for guys like Gaudreau, Baertschi, and Granlund to develop in the AHL (though I do think Reinhart is ready). Plus this group of forwards puts us in McDavid/Eichel contention without developing young players (sans Monahan) in a losing environment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad