Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Devin Setoguchi - (1 year, 750k)

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The more I think about this, the more I like it. Seto will be hungry and it gives us a real possibility of running a 1a/1b line.
GlenX - Backlund - Seto
Hudler - Monahan - Colborne

Even the 3rd line of Raymond - Stajan - Jones could be fairly successful and like it's already been said, if it doesn't work out, it's not a huge lose.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I wouldn't worry about not seeing Sven or Gaudreau. Glencross has his issues with various injuries and we saw last season how bad the injury bug can get.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Why get rid of Jones? I know he isn't worth the money and gets injured a bit, but RW is bare on this team. If healthy he can put up 15-20 goals. I just don't see the reason why unless it was at the deadline, now would be stupid.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This move doesn't make or break our season. There have been games when Seto has looked really good that I've seen in the past. There have been games when he's been more or less ineffective. We'll see what he gives us this season.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
So a healthy forward lineup is more or less looking like this:

Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Hudler - Backlund - Setoguchi
Raymond - Monahan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan
Byron

These guys are going to be brutal to watch, though I get that it's best for guys like Gaudreau, Baertschi, and Granlund to develop in the AHL (though I do think Reinhart is ready). Plus this group of forwards puts us in McDavid/Eichel contention without developing young players (sans Monahan) in a losing environment.

I think there is still room for Bart/Johnny. Keep in mind that we don't want to be inserting too many rookies at once, so we kinda need to get one lots of playing time this year to leave the door open for a couple more next year. (Gaudreau & Reinhart/Granlund) and 2 more the following year (Bennett, Poirier/Klim)

GlenX Back Hud
Ray Mona Colb
Bart Staj Jones
Boll Bou McG/Seto

I said it before, but I think Byron was signed to provide leadership on the farm.

Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
seems like a really good deal, this guy scored 30 goals a while back. I figured he'd get around 2m.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I like the signing but if Setoguchi is a first liner, this season is over before it even started! :laugh:

Every possible lineup permutation for this season is terrible. Our best line possible would be Glencross - Backlund - Hudler; and that's 1 second liner in Hudler. Almost everyone else on the team are third liners with some good fourth liners.

#McDavid

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Would have vastly preferred keeping a spot open for a prospect, should one be good enough.

Not a big deal though if the team doesn't mind waiving one or more players on one way deals and possibly eating their their NHL salaries in the AHL should that be the case.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Setoguchi personifies underachievemen as this contract at $750000 shows. He made 3.25 million in Winnipeg last year.

A healthy scratch for far too many games. There were only a handful of occasions last year where he appeared to be giving it his effort, but in those games/shifts his talent level was apparent.

Sad to see players like this underperform, but that's all on him. I doubt the Jets would have traded for him, or the Flames would have signed him were there "off ice" problems affecting his performance. It appears he's just a lazy SOB and nothing more.

Paul Maurices 1st game behind the bench suddenly had him him in 1st gear....FOR ONE GAME, then back to floating his way thru the remainder of the season.

Calgary fans beware...yes it's a low risk signing, but he's also a poor example to the rest of his team. Generally zero effort, constant turnovers & a poor possession player.

To maximize his game he needs a pass first centreman. He's also capable of a big hit every now and then.

As it stands he may be waiver fodder by Christmas.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Setoguchi personifies underachievemen as this contract at $750000 shows. He made 3.25 million in Winnipeg last year.

A healthy scratch for far too many games. There were only a handful of occasions last year where he appeared to be giving it his effort, but in those games/shifts his talent level was apparent.

Sad to see players like this underperform, but that's all on him. I doubt the Jets would have traded for him, or the Flames would have signed him were there "off ice" problems affecting his performance. It appears he's just a lazy SOB and nothing more.

Paul Maurices 1st game behind the bench suddenly had him him in 1st gear....FOR ONE GAME, then back to floating his way thru the remainder of the season.

Calgary fans beware...yes it's a low risk signing, but he's also a poor example to the rest of his team. Generally zero effort, constant turnovers & a poor possession player.

To maximize his game he needs a pass first centreman. He's also capable of a big hit every now and then.

As it stands he may be waiver fodder by Christmas.

So... Devin Setoguchi for McDavid?

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Mentioned in another thread I was pretty meh about this, but at one year with a low cost it isn't bad. At worst we pay some cash for a year, at best we get a trade able asset.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like this signing.

Very low risk. Helps shield the kids from what'll probably be another horrendous year in Calgary.

I think he proves his doubters wrong. Still youngish too.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Would also like to add. He doesn't give it 100%; he won't be playing. I want to see what Devin Setogushi can do when he can't take a night or shift off.

Calgary's a good place for him to learn what is required from a true NHLer.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Why get rid of Jones? I know he isn't worth the money and gets injured a bit, but RW is bare on this team. If healthy he can put up 15-20 goals. I just don't see the reason why unless it was at the deadline, now would be stupid.

Because Jones is beyond useless in a bottom 6 role, and is already oft-injured.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

He works as a third line RW. He has had injury problems, but he bangs and is defensively responsible. On a winning team, you'd have a Jones on your third line (hard working, defensively strong and can put up some goals) sadly, we'll have Jonesie playing bigger minutes and rely on him for points.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
If he buys into Hartleys' system and gives 110 every shift I could see him being a very useful player.

He is only 27 and has a much better resume than Galiardi at this point in the way that he has been a 30 goal guy and effective top 6 player.

I could see him being top 3 in goals on the Flames.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Id rather have mgrattan as the 13th man anyways. doesnt need more than 40 games a year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wait, what? He plays physical, he skates well, he is defensively reliable and he works hard. He is actually a quite good 3rd line player, I'm not sure what colored glasses you're wearing but they need to be cleaned.

As for Seto, I called it in the summer but I began to think it wouldn't happen, so I'm a little shocked but I like it. No risk, he has a good year we ship him off at the deadline to add a pick. I wonder if this pushes Hulder or Colborne to LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad