Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Devin Setoguchi - (1 year, 750k)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Wait, what? He plays physical, he skates well, he is defensively reliable and he works hard. He is actually a quite good 3rd line player, I'm not sure what colored glasses you're wearing but they need to be cleaned.

As for Seto, I called it in the summer but I began to think it wouldn't happen, so I'm a little shocked but I like it. No risk, he has a good year we ship him off at the deadline to add a pick. I wonder if this pushes Hulder or Colborne to LW.

He's certainly physical. Defensively reliable though? Now there's a stretch.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Haven't chimed in since I've been busy all day.

For those freaking out about this signing, we signed a low risk player for 750k. And to top it off, it's only for a year.

If Johnny and Sven don't make the team, then so be it. Treliving is creating competition.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Darren Haynes ‏@DarrenWHaynes 5m
Update: Devin Setoguchi confirmed as wearing No. 22 for the #Flames.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You mean his old self where he was linemates with Joe Thornton?

Seto is actually pretty slick with the skill set. His fault had always been his motivation and drive.

On the Flames; I think we've proven that there's no answer for lackluster play. If he's not going to give it everything he's got; he'll either be riding the press box or hanging out in Addy.

If this guy turns it around, he will be:
A) amazing trade bait at the deadline.
B) one of the pieces we have going forward, at 27 it's not like he's old.

I'm pleased with this pickup; there is absolutely no loss with him being here. The worse case scenario is he beats out some kids; if he does that, they have little reason to be up here anyways.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I have no issue with this at all. No risk, potential high reward. Currently, we have the following who may very well see a roster spot.

Center:
Stajan
Backlund
Monahan
Byron (Can play the wing)
Knight

Left Wing:
Hudler
Raymond
Glencross
Bouma
Bollig
Gaudreau
Baertschi
Wolf
Reinhart

Right Wing:
Setoguchi
Jones
McGrattan
Hanowski
Granlund

As it stands, there is a log jam at wing, which really isn't a bad problem to have. It will create some healthy competition and make players work to be on the lineup. As it stands, I would expect something along the lines of;

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Raymond - Stajan - Setoguchi
Jones - Monahan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - Byron/McGrattan

I wouldn't mind giving Sven and Johnny some more time to develop. If they show they can make the lineup, I'm sure they'll be in there. Would leave something along the lines of this for the baby flames. I'd imagine one of Granlund or Reinhart will be put back to center, otherwise they may need to loan them out to another AHL team.

Baertschi - Knight - Granlund
Gaudreau - Arnold - Ferland
Poirier - Reinhart - Hanowski
Wolf - Jooris - Agostino
Extra: Elson

Wotherspoon - Sieloff
Acolatse - Ramage
Cundari - ???

Ortio/Thiessen?

Off topic, but is anyone else getting a bit worried about Bouma not being signed?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Not at all. Plus player, low giveaways, on the ice for a mere 25 goals against. Man what a defensive trainwreck.

He only played in 48 games so saying 'only 25 goals against' while playing tweener minutes is hardly impressive. Hardly a 'plus' player either only being +1. Granted, if he can stay healthy like he was at the start of this season, he was quite good. The thing is, I doubt we see that David Jones again. Every time he seems to start doing well, he does down with injury. I think we will see that trend continue this year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Seto is actually pretty slick with the skill set. His fault had always been his motivation and drive.

On the Flames; I think we've proven that there's no answer for lackluster play. If he's not going to give it everything he's got; he'll either be riding the press box or hanging out in Addy.

If this guy turns it around, he will be:
A) amazing trade bait at the deadline.
B) one of the pieces we have going forward, at 27 it's not like he's old.

I'm pleased with this pickup; there is absolutely no loss with him being here. The worse case scenario is he beats out some kids; if he does that, they have little reason to be up here anyways.

Yep, I think this is an interesting fit for Seto. Like you say, if he doesn't buy in, he won't be playing. If he does buy in, then we could see a pretty skilled player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He only played in 48 games so saying 'only 25 goals against' while playing tweener minutes is hardly impressive. Hardly a 'plus' player either only being +1. Granted, if he can stay healthy like he was at the start of this season, he was quite good. The thing is, I doubt we see that David Jones again. Every time he seems to start doing well, he does down with injury. I think we will see that trend continue this year.
even if you pro-rate the amount of goals jones was on the ice for is extremely low. The only players to have a lower GA/G that Jones are McGrattan (who played much less per night) and Paul Byron.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
even if you pro-rate the amount of goals jones was on the ice for is extremely low. The only players to have a lower GA/G that Jones are McGrattan (who played much less per night) and Paul Byron.

The team played pretty well at the start of the year though which is when a majority of Jones games were if I remember correctly. Like I said though, he was not playing big minutes either, and I personally believe over a full season that GA rate would increase, I can't prove that but it is what I believe.

If Jones can stay healthy then I concede that yes, he could be a good 3rd line player. My problem is that I don't think he will stay healthy, and in the periods Jones has played after coming back from injury, he has been much less effective.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The team played pretty well at the start of the year though which is when a majority of Jones games were if I remember correctly. Like I said though, he was not playing big minutes either, and I personally believe over a full season that GA rate would increase, I can't prove that but it is what I believe.

If Jones can stay healthy then I concede that yes, he could be a good 3rd line player. My problem is that I don't think he will stay healthy, and in the periods Jones has played after coming back from injury, he has been much less effective.
Even if it did increase he would still be one of the better on the team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That would be dependent on how much you think it would increase.
not nearly as much as you because I know how brutal the defensive play was in the first half of the season before Ramo stepped up and while Gio was injured. ;)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well its a good thing McDonald was around for practice to show Ramo how to be the best isn't it.
wasn't Ramo recovering from surgery and the Flames didn't want to push him? That is what came out closer to the end of the year anyways.

busdriver

Apr 19, 2014
canada
I think they may be preparing for an upcoming trade . Little room for recruits but once training camp is over and they ve played a few games , if they fit the bill and are ready ... they will move a veteran (s)

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Jones is only bad if you're expecting him to regain his old form. I liked his play in his first games here but that injury really threw him off. Lots of hustle.

Agreed. Seeing the way Jones played early in the season made it a slightly less painful swallow for the Tanguay trade at the time.

Back to the topic at hand though: I don't mind acquiring Seto, especially at a low salary like this. He either picks up the pace under Hartley and does well, or he doesn't do well and is gone by the end of the season. He could probably be waived if Treliving felt it necessary (if he was playing poorly).

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I like this move, zero risk. If someone like Sven steps up and shows during camp that he deserves a spot then a trade will happen. I doubted that Johnny G was going to start this season on the Flames and still do, he will get time at the deadline or when injuries occur. If Seto plays decent he could net a 3rd or 2nd round pick at the deadline. If he doesnt do well you waive him and he either gets picked up or sent to the AHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm really indifferent to this signing to be totally honest. The positives, he's only making 750k meaning that he'll be hungry like Raymond was last year to play for a contract. If the kids are not ready, he's another vet guy that can step in and play.

The cons, I would of rather given a spot to the kids, but I do support the notion that the kids need to earn their spot, nothing should be given to them. And I still feel like this signing won't prevent that from happening either, if one or even two of the young guys earn a spot, I'm confident that room will be made to accommodate them. I also don't like that Seto has a history of being lazy, that's not a good example for our kids. But Hartley is the boss, and he has no problem benching anyone like he did with Galliardi last year.

All in all, this was a good move, but I don't believe that Seto will have much impact next season. To me, he's a more physical Nigel Dawes and I think he'll pot 20-25 pts next year. Hopefully he plays well though and he lands us another 2nd rounder in next years draft.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Even if he's lazy and he's benched a lot or sent to the minors, it's not a bad thing. It's an example to the kids that just cause you're talented doesn't mean you're entitled to anything and you gotta put in your effort like everyone else.

"Kids, don't be like Devin."

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Give him the time to play top 6 minutes and see if he can inflate his point production. Lots of teams like asking for players with small contracts that put up decent points as a secondary scorer. I could see a 3rd round pick from a contending team for him, which I wouldn't mind at all.

Not expecting much from him, probably just 30 points (15-15) at most.

dscott

Mar 1, 2014
It's an okay signing. Pretty indifferent with it. IMO it shelters Poirier for one year in the AHL.

On the bright side of things, we'll have a really good draft pick next year :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad