Confirmed with Link: Flames Recall MATTHEW PHILLIPS

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
This stuff here makes it seem like you do no evaluative work yourself. You appeal to authority to back up your points but the authority in the NHL routinely make idiotic moves that have no logic behind them.

I am doing the homework to point out that guys in his situation almost never work out outside of one player. That isn't an appeal to authority it is a fact, especially in the context of where this start based on a comment that someone should avoid signing with the Flames based on the Phillips situation. Well if that is the case then they should also look at every other team that didn't select when he was free over the summer.

Kylington being a legitimate top 4 defensemen that's elite in transition isn't a homerun? Ruzicka leading the team in even strength points isn't a home run? Phillips has no home run potential? And what, because the league that routinely fails to utilize talent until it's too late hasn't decided to utilize them?

First Kylington isn't elite at anything Flames fans need to stop overrating our players, you can like a guy without him being elite when he isn't close to it. He is also a weak top 4 defenseman. If he is in our top 4 we are likely struggling to compete for anything.

No leading the team in even strength scoring a few games into the season isn't a homerun, we have seen countless players in the league have hot starts and not be able to maintain it. There is nothing in Ruzicka's past to say he is this kind of player but maybe he magically improved all of sudden over one summer.

Take one solid look around the league. A current top pairing d-man in Gustav Forsling was on the waiver wire prior to becoming who he is today. Valeri Nichushkin was barely wanted leaguewide before breaking out, teams couldn't identify Stephenson as a high potential player other than the guy who drafted him. Meanwhile players like Chiarot, Jones, Skinner, Johansen, etc. get overpaid, but we're supposed to sit here and think that the NHL brain trust of GM's is infallible? Especially when it comes to making the small, periphary improvements when they can't even handle major decisions with any effectiveness? Even up north, Puljujarvi, who fits the mold of the next Nichushkin is getting run out of town in what will obviously be a bad move in hindsight.

Forsling as a top pairing defenseman is terrible, Nischuskin had shown talent his whole career which is why he was drafted in the top 10, that is not comparable to our guys at all who never showed that level of talent.

Even using Ruzicka's 28 games last year against him is silly when he produced better than other 3C options, and did so by being the one competent member of the 4th line before getting moved up, and goofily replaced by Jarnkrok. Funniest of all its all from the organization that needed Snow to come in to veto their deep trade talks on Ristolainen. To think any GM in the league is perfect, and their evaluation of Phillips or Kylington means anything, is silly.

I am not using it against him just pointing out it wasn't impressive.

Nobody think all GMs are perfect but they are a hell of a lot better than biased fan boys on a website looking for simple solutions to fix the reality that their favorite team isn't good enough. I get the hope as every fanbase wants to think there is some hidden gem ready to save them but it rarely if ever happens.

Reactions: Tofveve

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
This stuff here makes it seem like you do no evaluative work yourself. You appeal to authority to back up your points but the authority in the NHL routinely make idiotic moves that have no logic behind them.

Kylington being a legitimate top 4 defensemen that's elite in transition isn't a homerun? Ruzicka leading the team in even strength points isn't a home run? Phillips has no home run potential? And what, because the league that routinely fails to utilize talent until it's too late hasn't decided to utilize them?

Take one solid look around the league. A current top pairing d-man in Gustav Forsling was on the waiver wire prior to becoming who he is today. Valeri Nichushkin was barely wanted leaguewide before breaking out, teams couldn't identify Stephenson as a high potential player other than the guy who drafted him. Meanwhile players like Chiarot, Jones, Skinner, Johansen, etc. get overpaid, but we're supposed to sit here and think that the NHL brain trust of GM's is infallible? Especially when it comes to making the small, periphary improvements when they can't even handle major decisions with any effectiveness? Even up north, Puljujarvi, who fits the mold of the next Nichushkin is getting run out of town in what will obviously be a bad move in hindsight.

Even using Ruzicka's 28 games last year against him is silly when he produced better than other 3C options, and did so by being the one competent member of the 4th line before getting moved up, and goofily replaced by Jarnkrok. Funniest of all its all from the organization that needed Snow to come in to veto their deep trade talks on Ristolainen. To think any GM in the league is perfect, and their evaluation of Phillips or Kylington means anything, is silly.
Actually he has 2 less than Backlund and Lindholm in 10 less games so he's a bust.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Ruzicka has the highest point per game on the team atm. How is that mediocre?

Small sample size.

We have seen what he has done in juniors, AHL and last year zero reason to think he comes close to keeping this up. He isn’t that good.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Small sample size.

We have seen what he has done in juniors, AHL and last year zero reason to think he comes close to keeping this up. He isn’t that good.
Notice how he moved the goalposts?

I love how you're here to give us that 'dose of reality' as if we have all of these better options on the roster and none of these guys are worthy and are overrated. Ruzicka produces: no he's overrated and isn't good, well it's small sample size. Phillips leads the AHL in scoring. No he's overrated and will be terrible. So what's the alternative? Let's hear it. You're the expert so grace us with some alternatives.

Again what's the alternative? Let's see your credentials if you're going to be snowglobe player evaluator and already are sure none of Phillips or Ruzicka are any good. We already know how this will play out. They produce, you'll keep moving the goalposts and it will go from, oh its a small sample size to, oh let's see them do it next year blah blah blah and if they do, you'll casually leave or say you never meant it. If they suck, you'll be here to remind us that it was terrible and Flames fans are delusional blah blah blah, while offering zero alternatives to the discussion.... So what's the alternative? Keep playing a Lucic who hasn't scored in a year? Keep playing Lewis because... he kills penalties and tries hard? Make a trade? Remake the lineup combinations?

If you don't have any alternatives... the door is easy to find.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Notice how he moved the goalposts?

I don't think he moved the goal posts at all.

I love how you're here to give us that 'dose of reality' as if we have all of these better options on the roster and none of these guys are worthy and are overrated. Ruzicka produces: no he's overrated and isn't good, well it's small sample size. Phillips leads the AHL in scoring. No he's overrated and will be terrible. So what's the alternative? Let's hear it. You're the expert so grace us with some alternatives.

I am not here to give you anything other than my view on things, isn't that the point of a message board?

Right now there are no real great alternatives because it is the middle of the season. I don't think I have said anywhere they shouldn't be playing right now, they are no worse than guys like Lucic, Rooney, Lewis etc. The alternative is to to get quality players but a. our GM does not seem interested in that and b. it is unlikely to happen in the middle of the season.

Again what's the alternative? Let's see your credentials if you're going to be snowglobe player evaluator and already are sure none of Phillips or Ruzicka are any good. We already know how this will play out. They produce, you'll keep moving the goalposts and it will go from, oh its a small sample size to, oh let's see them do it next year blah blah blah and if they do, you'll casually leave or say you never meant it. If they suck, you'll be here to remind us that it was terrible and Flames fans are delusional blah blah blah, while offering zero alternatives to the discussion.... So what's the alternative? Keep playing a Lucic who hasn't scored in a year? Keep playing Lewis because... he kills penalties and tries hard? Make a trade? Remake the lineup combinations?

If you don't have any alternatives... the door is easy to find.

You keep talk about moving the goal posts but all you do here is cry about things that I have only said in your fantasies. If they produce I will say great hope they keep it up. If they suck I will say too bad we could have used them to turn out.

In the future if you want to know what I will say its probably best to just ask rather than dream up some foolish cosplay in your head.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I don't think he moved the goal posts at all.

I am not here to give you anything other than my view on things, isn't that the point of a message board?

Right now there are no real great alternatives because it is the middle of the season. I don't think I have said anywhere they shouldn't be playing right now, they are no worse than guys like Lucic, Rooney, Lewis etc. The alternative is to to get quality players but a. our GM does not seem interested in that and b. it is unlikely to happen in the middle of the season.

You keep talk about moving the goal posts but all you do here is cry about things that I have only said in your fantasies. If they produce I will say great hope they keep it up. If they suck I will say too bad we could have used them to turn out.

In the future if you want to know what I will say it’s probably best to just ask rather than dream up some foolish cosplay in your head.
If there aren’t alternatives then shitting on Ruzicka for being a PPG player and Phillips before he’s even had a chance to play isn’t very bright no?

Other than that you gave nothing of substance, wasted my time and anyone elses’ who read it, as I said you would. Thanks for coming out. Door is over there. Feel free to close it on your way out.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Phillips will stick for a couple games and either work his way up the lineup or not. Darryl scratching Looch indicates he's finally accepted Looch is done.

Reactions: Tofveve

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
[mod]

Honestly, I'm not saying that Phillips is a surefire player. I'm saying he definitely deserves an opportunity ahead of players like Rooney, Lucic ect. If he doesn't seize that opportunity or can't translate at the NHL level then I think the opportunity should go to another player. It's a fact that Lucic hasn't done anything but hurt the team in all aspects from game 6 of the season onward. Lewis is fine in his role, but he's never met a puck he didn't want to dump in the corner. Not ideal for a team that struggles to score in more than half their games.

Last edited by a moderator:

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
"Matthew Dogshit Phillips." Yup you sure didn't...

Honestly, I'm not saying that Phillips is a surefire player. I'm saying he definitely deserves an opportunity ahead of players like Rooney, Lucic ect. If he doesn't seize that opportunity or can't translate at the NHL level then I think the opportunity should go to another player. It's a fact that Lucic hasn't done anything but hurt the team in all aspects from game 6 of the season onward. Lewis is fine in his role, but he's never met a puck he didn't want to dump in the corner. Not ideal for a team that struggles to score in more than half their games.

I don't think that is close to shitting on anyone, just a fitting nickname.

I agree that Phillips should get a chance ahead of Lucic, Lucis has shown he is done and there is no need to keep him in line-up just because he was good years ago or has a big contract.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
You literally called a young player dogshit. If you don't think that's shitting on anyone and is a "fitting nickname" then you have some pretty deep seeded self awareness issues.

That is not true at all. I just have a different view on what is shitting on someone than you do. You have zero idea about me or any issues I do or do not have.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That is not true at all. I just have a different view on what is shitting on someone than you do. You have zero idea about me or any issues I do or do not have.
I mean it's either issues or a lack of insight on the sport. You claim you have insight so there's a process of elimination there.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
You have an issue with punctuation. You have an issue with parsing out your sentences.

It is a message board not an academic paper, I will write how I like.

I mean it's either issues or a lack of insight on the sport. You claim you have insight so there's a process of elimination there.

Nope in fact it is neither of those things.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
MM9...

Can you not support a different team instead? Save your energy, you are too good for Calgary Flames....

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Didn't think he looked very good. Definitely really small and not fast for being so small. Still would be willing to see him over a decent stretch of games. Guy deserves that. Who knows.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Small sample size.

Ruzicka is well deserving of a decent NHL contract/role.

I'm with you on Kylington though. He fits into a 4 spot on a weak D core and is probably a 5 or 6 on a contender. IMO.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
yeah he just doesn't seem to be able to overcome the lack of size , lots of effort and plenty of IQ but just can't slip loose from the bigger players . Plenty of smaller players have had great careers but he doesn't seem to be that guy , YET .

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
We barely knew ya Matty P. Go Wrangle up some 3 pt nights in the A. Maybe we'll see you moonlight for a 5 min showing in feb sometime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad