Confirmed with Link: Flames Recall MATTHEW PHILLIPS

CalgaryFlames1240

Jul 2, 2011
Windsor
Just wondering where they slot him in if he plays. The top 9 are playing pretty well. Slotting him next to Lewis and Ritchie/Looch?

Maybe Looch is at that point he was again when he felt like retiring?

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Timing is a little scary. Team has been good for an entire 5 game home stand minus Lucic, Rooney, and Lewis. And putting Phillips on the 4th line makes no sense when you have Duehr and Pelletier who can play those minutes. So do we start speculating on who is hurt?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The way everyone is hyping him up, if he doesn't get 6 goals in his first game, I'll be disappointed.

If he hasn't learned how to be more consistent after scoring 6 goals and after one game up with big club he'll be packed up on a bus back to the Wranglers. Just as Hrudey how Sutter thinks as per his Ruzicka conversation.

:facepalm:

Sigh.

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
What strange timing - hopefully they give him a real shot though, don’t stick him with rooney and looch and then complain he can’t score

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Finally!!!!!! Gimme shit for my main board thread idgaf, this is long overdue.

Now they just have to actually play him…

Reactions: Boomstick

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Finally!!!!!! Gimme shit for my main board thread idgaf, this is long overdue.

Now they just have to actually play him…

Dillon Dube is younger than Matt Phillips, and was the superior AHL player. And lots of you guys have wanted to shoot him into the sun for an upgrade.

It's honestly kind of shocking how big of a deal you're making this and others have made this from the start of the season. I could be very wrong here, which wouldn't be the first time... but like, what are you exactly expecting from this recall? Do you think he's getting slot into the top 9? Is he just getting 12th forward time with Lewis and Ritchie?

Reactions: Deas and Haatley

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Just wondering where they slot him in if he plays. The top 9 are playing pretty well. Slotting him next to Lewis and Ritchie/Looch?

Maybe Looch is at that point he was again when he felt like retiring?
well slotting him in on the 4th line with 4th line minutes would probably make Sutter right about him in that he is not showing he is ready for the NHL even though a more accurate test would be on the right side of Kadri or Lindholm.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Timing is a little scary. Team has been good for an entire 5 game home stand minus Lucic, Rooney, and Lewis. And putting Phillips on the 4th line makes no sense when you have Duehr and Pelletier who can play those minutes. So do we start speculating on who is hurt?
Why not? Most teams on the league employ a 4th line with at least one scorer.

Play him with Huberdeau and Lindholm!
I agree. Although both the other lines seem to work well currently and it’s hard to imagine Toffoli on line 4

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Dillon Dube is younger than Matt Phillips, and was the superior AHL player. And lots of you guys have wanted to shoot him into the sun for an upgrade.

It's honestly kind of shocking how big of a deal you're making this and others have made this from the start of the season. I could be very wrong here, which wouldn't be the first time... but like, what are you exactly expecting from this recall? Do you think he's getting slot into the top 9? Is he just getting 12th forward time with Lewis and Ritchie?
He's bored of the current squad and has dreamed up a narrative that they have Martin St Louis languishing on the Wranglers

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's bored of the current squad and has dreamed up a narrative that they have Martin St Louis languishing on the Wranglers

Tell me where I’ve said Phillips is Martin St. Louis? Saying a player deserves a shot is not to say they will work out, just that they deserve that chance.

Anyways putting aside your words in my mouth situation, I’m glad to hear this and a potential Pelletier call up. Some of the vets deserve some benchings, start with lucic (and Rooney, but he already has). Hopefully it comes to fruition.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Hopefully this means one of Dube or Mangiapane are getting the 4th line treatment for a while until they remember how to play 5v5 defense again. No point in calling Phillips up to play 4th line. Mangiapane has been the worst defensively but offers the most offensively so a Mangiapane-Kadri-Phillips line could work. Could cycle Dube and Mangiapane in and out while Phillips gets his shot.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015

If you think he has to be a ppg player to prove something because of a fan outcry or w/e, well that's your prerogative. bc nobody thinks he's MSL 2, just that the AHL scoring leader could (f*** it, will) help a forward lineup that needs an offensive spark.

If Phillips scores 10-15 nhl goals and ~30 points this season are we supposed to feel letdown? no, that's a few wins added over the plug he'll replace on most nights, whoever that is.

Anyway, this is hype. hopefully, he'll do more than play one or two nights, eat popcorn for two weeks, and be sent down.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
3FD25FEB-39DE-4B1B-AFB5-ACB44E11FE8F.jpeg

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Let's support a hometown boy who has overcome the size obstacle and been a major success in the WHL and AHL. He deserves his shot big time.

Will always root for the undersized guys. Fleury and Gaudreau are still my favs for this team (and ofc iginla, but ah that wouldn’t fit my narrative).

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Will always root for the undersized guys. Fleury and Gaudreau are still my favs for this team (and ofc iginla, but ah that wouldn’t fit my narrative).

What about Lomberg? Byron?

I agree I have a soft spot for the small guys with huge hearts too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad