Confirmed with Link: Flames Recall MATTHEW PHILLIPS

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
There is sooooo much more riding on Phillips first NHL game this year than his first NHL game. That game didn't count.

Reactions: Boomstick

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If you think he has to be a ppg player to prove something because of a fan outcry or w/e, well that's your prerogative. bc nobody thinks he's MSL 2, just that the AHL scoring leader could (f*** it, will) help a forward lineup that needs an offensive spark.
Looollll ahl scoring leader. Who f***ing cares

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Looollll ahl scoring leader. Who f***ing cares

Without looking it up, can someone actually name who the AHL's leading scorer was last year? He won the title two years in a row. Without looking it up. Points if you can name the guy who won it three years ago.

For clarity purposes. I could not, nor could I name the other guy. Like, not even close :laugh:

All that said, I do hope Matt Phillips succeeds here and adds some extra 'umph' into the offence. Nothing wrong with getting some more home grown production on this team. I just am completely unsure where he'll fit in Sutter's scheme... It took Ruzicka a while to gain Sutter's trust and be used for more than the 4th line centre... and that mother f***er is Sutter incarnate in terms of his physical build.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Let's go Rooney was hot garbage atleast phillips might try to score. I love phillips he is still youngish and desperate to make the team this is a great spot for him. Hopefully Rooney gets claimed

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
all the Pinder crazed anti-sutter talk is BS. Sutter plays youth, always has. They have a shorter leash to watch a game or two from the pressbox if they F up, and they have to earn more minutes but they get played. Toffoli is a great example of it. Could see Philips working his way into Sutter's trust tree.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Without looking it up, can someone actually name who the AHL's leading scorer was last year? He won the title two years in a row. Without looking it up. Points if you can name the guy who won it three years ago.

For clarity purposes. I could not, nor could I name the other guy. Like, not even close :laugh:

All that said, I do hope Matt Phillips succeeds here and adds some extra 'umph' into the offence. Nothing wrong with getting some more home grown production on this team. I just am completely unsure where he'll fit in Sutter's scheme... It took Ruzicka a while to gain Sutter's trust and be used for more than the 4th line centre... and that mother f***er is Sutter incarnate in terms of his physical build.
No idea who won it the last two years, but was 3 years ago carter verhaege? I know he led the ahl in scoring a few years ago, but all mixed up due to covid lol

Edit: was 4 years ago, definitely dont know the guys from the last 3 years, AHL is definitely a different league and doesnt neccessarily translate, but sometimes you do end up with a carter verhaege who would be our leading scorer this season lol

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
He's been down in the AHL for so long, he's no longer the "baby-faced" assassin he was once dubbed. He's now just a man-faced assassin.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Was it Tynan?

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009

I figured it would be Noesen due to how stacked the wolves were with other tweeners

For legitimate prospects Quinn was pretty up there last year until the call up

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Tynan was one. It's always some random who figured out how to shred the scrub league and when they get called up they get caved in and do nothing.
I only know of him since he was a King. Never really got a chance in the NHL, but also not sure he should have

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Keen eyes also noted that Radim Zohorna was absent from the Wranglers practice today along with Matty Phillips.

Brett Sutter has been quoted as saying"he's earned it". I wonder if Dad asked for his assessment as well.

So with Matty being recalled and centre Zohorna also being recalled (if true) does this mean they go to the 4 line?

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
all the Pinder crazed anti-sutter talk is BS. Sutter plays youth, always has. They have a shorter leash to watch a game or two from the pressbox if they F up, and they have to earn more minutes but they get played. Toffoli is a great example of it. Could see Philips working his way into Sutter's trust tree.
A lot of what people call having a short leash is just Sutter’s development style, and it’s honestly pretty effective. Guy just doesn’t allow bad habits to fester into a young guys games as they’re learning the league. It’s play the right way from the start, and learn to produce while being responsible. Start cheating or getting away from what makes you effective and you’ll sit or move down the lineup. Lots of people just see the one big mistake and think it’s an over reaction, but it’s usually the underlying game that’s slipping that leads to the gaffe.

Sutter has churned out some pretty impressive young guys over his years, and even our current young guys have took some major steps under him. Anyone expect 3 years ago that the Ward version of Andersson was going to be a 24 minute a night defenseman on pace for 65 points?

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Personally I think 4C might not be bad for Dube. He’s on the 2nd PP and he’s low key really important to the PPs success. Plus he’s on the PK. So he can still get his minutes.

I still think he’s the best option for middle 6 C long term, other than maybe Zary. I’m also not sure Kadri will be very effective at C in a year or two. We need Cs moving forward. We have lots coming on the wing.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Personally I think 4C might not be bad for Dube. He’s on the 2nd PP and he’s low key really important to the PPs success. Plus he’s on the PK. So he can still get his minutes.

I still think he’s the best option for middle 6 C long term, other than maybe Zary. I’m also not sure Kadri will be very effective at C in a year or two. We need Cs moving forward. We have lots coming on the wing.
…our second unit has 2-3 powerplay goals on the year from what I can tell, and Dube hasn’t touched the puck on any of them? It’s kinda just been Ruzicka and our defense producing on it. Don’t know if agree on that point, and kinda wish Backlund or Coleman would take his role there.

Other than that, Dube does do his best work from centre. Would love to see him on a Lewis-Dube-Ritchie 4th line. Could be a super effective chip and chase forechecking line with a bit of offense and just creating nightmares for the other team. Lucic subs out Lewis whenever we are playing a bigger grindier team, and they just create chances by the panic caused by hitting everything that moves.

Also, anyone else find the timing of the Phillips call up weird? Teams probably traveling to Columbus tonight and then plays 3 games in 4 nights on the road. Not going to be a lot of practice time for Phillips to integrate in with the team, I wonder if he sits the first couple games while he works his way in (while causing aneurysms for a fair amount of Flames fans)?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
…our second unit has 2-3 powerplay goals on the year from what I can tell, and Dube hasn’t touched the puck on any of them? It’s kinda just been Ruzicka and our defense producing on it. Don’t know if agree on that point, and kinda wish Backlund or Coleman would take his role there.

Other than that, Dube does do his best work from centre. Would love to see him on a Lewis-Dube-Ritchie 4th line. Could be a super effective chip and chase forechecking line with a bit of offense and just creating nightmares for the other team. Lucic subs out Lewis whenever we are playing a bigger grindier team, and they just create chances by the panic caused by hitting everything that moves.

Also, anyone else find the timing of the Phillips call up weird? Teams probably traveling to Columbus tonight and then plays 3 games in 4 nights on the road. Not going to be a lot of practice time for Phillips to integrate in with the team, I wonder if he sits the first couple games while he works his way in (while causing aneurysms for a fair amount of Flames fans)?
He doesn't need practice time. He's 1.5ppg in the AHL.

• Haha
Reactions: super6646

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yea look at how much Ruzicka got to pay in the playoffs Sutter loves young players

Reactions: Dertell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad