Flames race to the 2020 playoffs..

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Flames have 17 games remaining and are holding onto a playoff spot by their finger nails. They have the 3rd toughest remaining schedule in the league. In those 17 games the only teams they will meet that aren't in a playoff spot or are fighting tooth and nail for one are New Jersey (Mar 19), San Jose (Mar 23), and Anaheim (Mar 25).

In those other 14 games the Flames play the Lightning twice, the Knights twice, the Islanders twice, the Jets twice, and the following teams once: Panthers, Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Rangers, Canucks, and Oilers.
At one time this season I thought that the last game of the season against the Oilers would be no more than a practice game for the playoffs.... now I think it may, if we're lucky, be a make or break game for the Flames which may very well decide if we get into the playoffs.

Last night's loss against the Preds was a huge disappointment for me because I think the Flames need every point they can grab to get into the playoffs. If they struggle to beat the Preds how are they going to do against the Lightning, Islanders, Knights, Blue Jackets, Rangers, Canucks, and Oilers... all of whom are higher in league standings than the Flames?

Personally I think the deck is stacked against the Flames making it into the playoffs. They just have to play too many good teams in the next 5 weeks. In order to make it I think the Flames will need to win 11-12 games out of the next 17.

Edit: Throw Minnesota into the mix. They have 71 pts with 18 games remaining.
Making the playoffs is going to be a real dog fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: TychoFan

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Doesn't matter who they play. When on, this team can hang with any opponent. They need to figure out how to be more consistent (the last few games they have looked good), and they need to remember how to win at home. Those two factors will be the biggest reasons the Flames make (or miss) the playoffs.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
In 2015 during the playoffs, we we down a few goals and a man constantly yelled, "It wouldn't feel as good if it was easy!" during the intermission. We obliterated Vancouver that game.

That man's voice echoes in my mind on occasion.

This is a totally different commentary to what needs to be done now to reach the playoffs though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I am encouraged after the TDL...may be wrongly but team has stepped up

If we have good goaltending, we can do it if everyone is trying.

Besides, fact is we just need to beat one of Vancouver, Edmonton, Nashville, or Winnipeg to get in....one of them may choke

That said team needs to play well at home. That's key.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Well this was apparently what they wanted. Remember when the team/coach were saying the fact that we were on cruise control down the stretch hurt us come playoff time? Time to step up and fight.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
... they need to remember how to win at home.

That said team needs to play well at home. That's key.

Good point. The Flames play at home in 11 of the next 17 games. Normally one would say: "That's great!"

With this team.. I'm not so sure. The team definitely needs to get it's **** together at home. Hopefully they do.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The Flames have 17 games remaining and are holding onto a playoff spot by their finger nails. They have the 3rd toughest remaining schedule in the league. In those 17 games the only teams they will meet that aren't in a playoff spot or are fighting tooth and nail for one are New Jersey (Mar 19), San Jose (Mar 23), and Anaheim (Mar 25).

The Canucks and Oilers are going to be in tough with the injury bug. Klefbom and Green out really hurts Edmonton's chances while the Canucks have shown they can't keep the puck out of their net without Markstrom.

For several seasons now Calgary plays the league leaders well and then suffer a let down on lesser teams so a tough schedule may be the perfect solution to Calgary's consistency problems.

The fight for a playoff spot is always a nail biter but it also ensures the club will be playing their best hockey in game 83 if they make it.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Canucks and Oilers are going to be in tough with the injury bug. Klefbom and Green out really hurts Edmonton's chances while the Canucks have shown they can't keep the puck out of their net without Markstrom.

For several seasons now Calgary plays the league leaders well and then suffer a let down on lesser teams so a tough schedule may be the perfect solution to Calgary's consistency problems.

The fight for a playoff spot is always a nail biter but it also ensures the club will be playing their best hockey in game 83 if they make it.
Flames play the Canucks on March 27 and the Oilers on April 4 so those teams may be healthy by the time we meet up.
As of Feb 18 Klefbom was expected to be sidelined for 2-3 weeks. Mike Green is expected to miss 3-4 weeks.
Not sure of the status on Markstrom. Canucks say they will give an update in 2 weeks. He just underwent a minor procedure on his LBI... whatever that was. Last I heard he was expected to be out until March 10

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
These times are harder on the fans than the team I think. Confidence for the Flames will come from within and a one for all, all for one attitude will take them far. So will paying attention to detail and that is not something that gets turned on and off like a light switch. They have been paying a lot better attention to detail these last few weeks which gives this fan a bit more confidence they can play with all the teams we perceive to be superior to the Flames.

Still, like any horror film, I may be watching some games through my fingers!

Reactions: viper0220

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Every game they play now until April 4 is a must win. I know they won't win all of them but I'm hopeful that they're competitive in most if not all.
If they play well on Saturday against the Lightning my optimism will increase significantly. Gawd I hope they come out with all cannons firing on Saturday.

Note to Ward:
1) If we make it into OT... leave Gus on the bench. You have players like Gio, Andersson, Hanifin, and Brodie who are better.
2) Take Bennett off the 4th line and put him at center on the 3rd. Move Lucic to the 4th line. I don't give a f*** if that makes Lucic unhappy and want to quit.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The silver lining of playing a lot of ‘playoff teams’ the rest of the way is twofold:

It allows us to both control our destiny and gives us several opportunity to leap frog teams in our way.

If we can’t beat these teams with any consistency we are likely to get a top 10 pick due to our strength of schedule.

Additionally we glided into the playoffs last season on a a magic carpet of lacklustre and lazy play, and were promptly pummled out of the playoffs. If we make it this year, it’ll be because we managed to do the opposite.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The silver lining of playing a lot of ‘playoff teams’ the rest of the way is twofold:

It allows us to both control our destiny and gives us several opportunity to leap frog teams in our way.

If we can’t beat these teams with any consistency we are likely to get a top 10 pick due to our strength of schedule.

Additionally we glided into the playoffs last season on a a magic carpet of lacklustre and lazy play, and were promptly pummled out of the playoffs. If we make it this year, it’ll be because we managed to do the opposite.
I agree with most of your comments however the part where you say it gives us the opportunity to leapfrog teams in our way is somewhat misleading. Out of the 17 games remaining the Flames only play divisional rivals 4 times (Knights (2x), Oilers (1x), and Canucks (1x)). The Flames have 73 pts. The Oilers have 74 pts and 1 game in hand. The Canucks have 74 pts and 2 games in hand. The Knights have 78 pts and have played the same number of games as the Flames. We'll likely need help from other teams in order to do some leapfrogging.

The Flames have a tough row to hoe in order to make the playoffs but if they're successful I think they'll be in good shape to be successful once there. :crossfing

Last edited:
Reactions: InfinityIggy

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I don't think the game against Nashville should be overly disappointing play-wise. The Flames were the better team and if they play that way for the last 17 games they will safely make the playoffs. If the goalies in last nights game were equal Flames win easily, Saros was great and Rittich was average. I feel pretty good about the Flames chances down the stretch if they switch the bottom 6 up a bit and play Talbot more.

Aug 3, 2010
Can't Calgary ever be that one team that gets super hot at the end of the season?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Facing playoff teams might be easier than facing non playoff teams. The former are fighting for pride, or to slip into a playoff spot. they'll be going 100%. Playoff teams tend to get complacent this time of year with only standings position to fight for. They also tend to play a bit softer to avoid injuries before the playoffs.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
A hurdle race where we get over the first hurdle and then stumble through the next couple and so on.

Yeah, this about sums up how I feel about the race for us.

MatureLazyClownanemonefish-size_restricted.gif

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So.... after playing the Bolts today the Flames have 16 games remaining and still at 73 pts.
Hoping for Oilers, Predators, Canucks, Coyotes, and Stars losses today.

Too much?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hard to believe that Mangiapane has 17 goals now... and Monahan has 22.
Especially when you consider that Mangiapane has 32 minutes in PP TOI and Monahan has 194 minutes.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I had to switch channels yesterday after we went down 3-0. Sure two of the goals were follow the bouncing puck goals that easily might not have scored. But we were being out shot badly without the lazy penalties taken. And that's because the Flames didn't not start on time yet again - an infliction that has plagued them since Peters first arrived. I'm not sure why that is, but it pisses me off big time and heads should roll over it. I don't care whose, but that has to get fixed pronto.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hard to believe that Mangiapane has 17 goals now... and Monahan has 22.
Especially when you consider that Mangiapane has 32 minutes in PP TOI and Monahan has 194 minutes.

The knock on Monahan has always been that he's spoonfed his icetime so I don't know why you find it hard to believe.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The knock on Monahan has always been that he's spoonfed his icetime so I don't know why you find it hard to believe.

Comments such as this make a person look like a tool. Sean & Johnny have both had their minutes cut this year from 20 plus a night down to 16-17 minutes a night. Backs line has been used much more.

I think the only area the duo are getting spoonfed minutes are on the PP and I get a sense that unit will be reworked when they get back home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad