GDT: Flames @ Oilers 2: Electric Boogaloo, HNIC 8 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Well for the first time in 10 years (that's saying alot) I've taken my flames jerseys down from the wall, putting them away for a few weeks, I honestly get pissed off everytime I look at them recently. Not proud to be a flames fan at all right now, embarrassing

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Well, shots on goal equals opportunities for rebounds, deflections, etc. I'll take 44 shots on goal every game if I could.
Remember Tanev took a shot on goal from our own blue line on Vezina winner Hellebuyck and it resulted in a goal.
Stuff happens when you put the puck on net.
More shots on goal is always better, but can you honestly tell me the Flames looked dangerous tonight?

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Hopefully some sort of meaningful change happens with this group after this game.
That's all I got.

and this

FHVFCQk.gif

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Well, shots on goal equals opportunities for rebounds, deflections, etc. I'll take 44 shots on goal every game if I could.
Remember Tanev took a shot on goal from our own blue line on Vezina winner Hellebuyck and it resulted in a goal.
Stuff happens when you put the puck on net.

Clearly you did not watch the 2017-18 season with these guys after Brodie's concussion

That's what this team is now. That same team without Brodie. Except Brodie won't be back, he's out there being the best defenseman on the best team.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If anything is going to change with this team, it will happen after these next two games in Toronto.

Playing in a bigger spotlight will provide more exposure to their many flaws.

lol they are totally exposed

what other flaws to see?

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
It’s Times like this when I remind myself that the guy that was steering the Italian cruise liner that crashed (2012) couldn’t speak English or Italian and he turned the ship the wrong way right at the end before they crashed... and then he ended up fleeing in Indonesia.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Damn I really just sat down and watched all of that.

Flames can't take a pass above "medium"strength to save their lives and it seems like simple plays have them bobbling the puck. Valimaki needs to work on his defensive game but that's a whole team thing. He overcommits to the guy with the puck and leaves his man open, but even then he doesn't have the strength needed to hold guys back from cutting to the front of the net.

What in the world even is Hanifin. Has the puck, McDavid is bearing down on him, why not just hold it out on a silver platter? Feels like his great play to start the year was partly luck and now he's back to not having the brain to make the right plays. Also wonder why young guys like Kylington/Phillips wouldn't get a chance in an environment like this. The bottom 6 is a dumpster fire, getting someone like Phillips in can't possibly make it worse lmao. Same with Kylington for Nesterov, he can provide more offensive value while also not boxing guys out in front of the net.

I think the real lesson tonight is the fire and grit Sean Monahan bring to the BoA is what allows them to win.

Reactions: SupremeTeam16

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Damn I really just sat down and watched all of that.

Flames can't take a pass above "medium"strength to save their lives and it seems like simple plays have them bobbling the puck. Valimaki needs to work on his defensive game but that's a whole team thing. He overcommits to the guy with the puck and leaves his man open, but even then he doesn't have the strength needed to hold guys back from cutting to the front of the net.

What in the world even is Hanifin. Has the puck, McDavid is bearing down on him, why not just hold it out on a silver platter? Feels like his great play to start the year was partly luck and now he's back to not having the brain to make the right plays. Also wonder why young guys like Kylington/Phillips wouldn't get a chance in an environment like this. The bottom 6 is a dumpster fire, getting someone like Phillips in can't possibly make it worse lmao. Same with Kylington for Nesterov, he can provide more offensive value while also not boxing guys out in front of the net.

I think the real lesson tonight is the fire and grit Sean Monahan bring to the BoA is what allows them to win.

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting another flames fan who has finally had his spirit broken and crushed!

Welcome to the club bro :)

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen, presenting another flames fan who has finally had his spirit broken and crushed!

Welcome to the club bro :)
I'll be broken for a day then I'll come back tomorrow like "yeah, wasn't that bad for a 7-1 loss." Or maybe "they just needed more heart, skill, passing, and better players. Those are easy fixes." Just gotta super glue that spirit together over night

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I mean f*** it I can get on rationalizing this loss now. Flames gave up a lot of good chances but they also came out with speed and emotion--unsurprisingly those things faded after getting down 4 or even 5 to 1, but the effort was there. Two big issues was a lack of discipline (I think that Bennett penalty was bs, but the Backlund penalty when it's 2-1 is a backbreaker) and bad defensive zone coverage. Shitty defensive zone coverage is a big thing, but Valimaki net front is an issue that hopefully resolves itself with more experience.

The more I think about it the cliche answers they give around "the details" not being there add up Bobbled pucks ruining zone time or chances, leaving the front of the net early, taking silly penalties. It's stuff they can control. They played with emotion. They couldn't get a big save early on when they needed it and that pulled them out of it imo. Process was there early on but the results didn't match the effort level.

And if I want to go true, full out crazy fan, I can simply choose to believe this is like the Pittsburgh game and they will win the division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad