Oliver Kylington
Jakob Pelletier
2020 1st round pick (CGY) *roughly 15th overall
2021 2nd round pick (CGY)

To :flames

Anthony Cirelli
Erik Cernak
Tyler Johnson *if he'll waive his NTC for an opportunity in CGY top 6

Tampa clears out salary, roughly $13 million total once the RFA contracts are sorted out. They get two good young players, one a D man and one a forward, to take Cirelli/Cernak roster spots plus a nice package of futures because they are obviously giving up the better players. They also have depth on their roster to afford the loss of these players and still be a top team. Offer sheets could be coming and this prevents them from having to deal with that as well. In a perfect world for Tampa, they obviously keep these players but the flat cap has made them keeping their roster together very unlikely.

Flames do it because they fill three huge holes on their roster that need to be filled in order to compete with the current core. A good young two way 2C with upside to slot between Monahan and Backlund, a good young top 4 RHD to slot behind Andersson long term, and a top 6 forward with a right hand shot that can also play C. They are not short term fixes either, as both Cirelli and Cernak are young and as RFA's can be extended long term. Johnson is not as young, but has term left on his deal and given time in the top 6 will very likely return to producing like a top 6 forward again.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
This is a recurring them of hfboards. The Lightning is all is for 20 and 21. Debate the strategy but they are not adding picks but trading picks to add Coleman/Goodrow etc.

If the only legit reason you are offering a trade for Serge or Cirelli is salary cap don't bother.

If you are offering 1's and 2's do not bother.

Back to Ranger game.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Oh man that is absolutely terrible for Tampa.

Yikes

Nonsense.

The most likely offer sheet compensation for the two players in question is 2021 1st & 3rd for Cirelli (Up to $6.3 million AAV compensation) and a 2021 2nd for Cernak (Up to $4.2 million AAV).

If those two offer sheets are signed by Cirelli and Cernak the Lightning will have a hard time matching them, and the compensation I've offered in trade is much more than they'd get on those two offer sheets. Don't be obtuse.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Nonsense.

The most likely offer sheet compensation for the two players in question is 2021 1st & 3rd for Cirelli (Up to $6.3 million AAV compensation) and a 2021 2nd for Cernak (Up to $4.2 million AAV).

If those two offer sheets are signed by Cirelli and Cernak the Lightning will have a hard time matching them, and the compensation I've offered in trade is much more than they'd get on those two offer sheets. Don't be obtuse.
Lol, don't be obtuse. But instead sell low because you have no choice. That's a pipe dream. This trade is terrible for Tampa. If we can move Johnson, why move Cirelli and Cernak?

The whole purpose of moving Johnson is to able to sign Cernak, Cirelli, and Sergachev. But you know us being obtuse on your terrible proposal must be wrong.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nonsense.

LMAO, that logic to create value for the players is beyond awful as well.

I can absolutely guarantee you the Bolts match any offer sheet in that range for Cirelli and Cernak in a nano second. They would deal with the cap situation after the fact but they are not losing f***ing Anthony Cirelli who is essentially Patrice Bergeon 2.0 for a bunch of spare parts.

Like I said, f***ing awful offer.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
LMAO, that logic to create value for the players is beyond awful as well.

I can absolutely guarantee you the Bolts match any offer sheet in that range for Cirelli and Cernak in a nano second. They would deal with the cap situation after the fact but they are not losing f***ing Anthony Cirelli who is essentially Patrice Bergeon 2.0 for a bunch of spare parts.

Like I said, f***ing awful offer.

Patrice Bergeron 2.0?

That explains things a bit haha

Reactions: Conbon

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Lol, don't be obtuse. But instead sell low because you have no choice. That's a pipe dream. This trade is terrible for Tampa. If we can move Johnson, why move Cirelli and Cernak?

The whole purpose of moving Johnson is to able to sign Cernak, Cirelli, and Sergachev. But you know us being obtuse on your terrible proposal must be wrong.

What if you can't move Johnson any other way?

I look forward to watching the Bolts maneuver through the cap this off season. Should be interesting.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
If you dont understand how good of a player Cirelli is, just dont propose a trade to acquire him.

Either that or you're purposely being obtuse yourself at this point.

I know all about Cirelli. He's an awesome two way player, but he's got a goddamn long way to go to be called Patrice Bergeron 2.0 haha. Bergeron made the NHL at 18 years old and by the time he was 21 he already had two 70+ point seasons under his belt, all while being elite defensively. Cirelli finally had a break out season at 23 and will be lucky to ever score 70 points.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
What if you can't move Johnson any other way?

I look forward to watching the Bolts maneuver through the cap this off season. Should be interesting.
Cirelli is going to get top 3 Selke finishes before his career is up. Lets slow up on Bergeron comparisons but he is going to be really good for a long time.

If Tb trades Johnson or Gourde the 64000 question is do they have to to add picks or players/retain salary and how much. I can guarantee this. Cirelli will not be the sweetner to make this happen.

The better starting post is if Calgary, do you not sign free agents be it Brodie, Hall, etc to make a 6.2m offer sheet for Cirelli and hope TBL doesn't keep.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Cirelli is going to get top 3 Selke finishes before his career is up. Lets slow up on Bergeron comparisons but he is going to be really good for a long time.

If Tb trades Johnson or Gourde the 64000 question is do they have to to add picks or players/retain salary and how much. I can guarantee this. Cirelli will not be the sweetner to make this happen.

The better starting post is if Calgary, do you not sign free agents be it Brodie, Hall, etc to make a 6.2m offer sheet for Cirelli and hope TBL doesn't keep.

If I'm the Flames I try to trade for Cirelli, that's the biggest hole we need to fill on our roster in my opinion...and I use being willing to take Johnson as part of the deal (if he'll waive) as a sweetener. If they're not willing to do that (which is understandable) then I seriously consider the offer sheet route.

The Flames are stagnant with the current core, and one of the biggest reasons is because Bennett failed to reach expectations and give the Flames cup caliber C depth. They need to address that, which they tried to last off season by trading for Kadri, but he wouldn't waive to go to CGY. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and the flat cap might open up some doors that would otherwise normally stay closed.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This is being thrown way out of proportion, it really isnt a bad offer. Dube is a very solid prospect and definitely has top 6 potential. Pelletier as well, should mqke the nhl and probably a middle 6 guy.

it’s not a bad offer, but it guts arguably the best depth team in the NHL.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I could see Tampa maybe moving Johnson + Cernak or something but no way they move all three

Ledge And Dairy

Trying to break down OP's logic/value breakdown, I have:

Cirelli = 15th overall + Dube
Cernak = Kylington + 2nd
Johnson = Pelletier

:huh:
I would break it down like this
Cirelli = #13 + Dube + Kylington (if Flames loose to WPG their pick is top 13, if they win it's likely 16 or 17)
Cernak = Pelletier
Johnson = 2nd

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I would break it down like this
Cirelli = #13 + Dube + Kylington (if Flames loose to WPG their pick is top 13, if they win it's likely 16 or 17)
Cernak = Pelletier
Johnson = 2nd

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up.

I get that it's not something Tampa would do under normal circumstances, and even in these circumstances they will likely try to find another way. But it's not a terrible offer at all. Those are good assets.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
To :bolts

Dillon Dube
Oliver Kylington
Jakob Pelletier
2020 1st round pick (CGY) *roughly 15th overall
2021 2nd round pick (CGY)

To :flames

Anthony Cirelli
Erik Cernak
Tyler Johnson *if he'll waive his NTC for an opportunity in CGY top 6

Tampa clears out salary, roughly $13 million total once the RFA contracts are sorted out. They get two good young players, one a D man and one a forward, to take Cirelli/Cernak roster spots plus a nice package of futures because they are obviously giving up the better players. They also have depth on their roster to afford the loss of these players and still be a top team. Offer sheets could be coming and this prevents them from having to deal with that as well. In a perfect world for Tampa, they obviously keep these players but the flat cap has made them keeping their roster together very unlikely.

Flames do it because they fill three huge holes on their roster that need to be filled in order to compete with the current core. A good young two way 2C with upside to slot between Monahan and Backlund, a good young top 4 RHD to slot behind Andersson long term, and a top 6 forward with a right hand shot that can also play C. They are not short term fixes either, as both Cirelli and Cernak are young and as RFA's can be extended long term. Johnson is not as young, but has term left on his deal and given time in the top 6 will very likely return to producing like a top 6 forward again.

None of those pieces are all that interesting except the 1st and Pelletier but even those don't appeal enough. We have plenty of young wingers of our own that we need to find spots for like Volkov, Katchouk, Barre-Boulet, Verheaghe, Raddysh and Joseph so Dude has no real value. Kylington would probably be waived because we have 3 other LD who are better and Coburn as an extra LD who is about as good.

As for the pieces that are interesting lets start with the 1st, a top 15 pick is always nice. But we just traded two 1st round picks for this draft so picks aren't very valued to us right now. Pelletier is a good prospect but we just traded the player picked right after him, Foote, for help right now. So he wouldn't be that valuable as he isn't going to help anytime soon and we are deepest at wing prospects. There just isn't anything that appealing in this offer to even consider it for a minute.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
None of those pieces are all that interesting except the 1st and Pelletier but even those don't appeal enough. We have plenty of young wingers of our own that we need to find spots for like Volkov, Katchouk, Barre-Boulet, Verheaghe, Raddysh and Joseph so Dude has no real value. Kylington would probably be waived because we have 3 other LD who are better and Coburn as an extra LD who is about as good.

As for the pieces that are interesting lets start with the 1st, a top 15 pick is always nice. But we just traded two 1st round picks for this draft so picks aren't very valued to us right now. Pelletier is a good prospect but we just traded the player picked right after him, Foote, for help right now. So he wouldn't be that valuable as he isn't going to help anytime soon and we are deepest at wing prospects. There just isn't anything that appealing in this offer to even consider it for a minute.

Fair enough. How about a 2021 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Cirelli instead?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad