Rumor: Flames interested in Petrovic

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
7 mill eh.

View attachment 247619

your right we do have a lot of trash. Thank you for systematically taking it out for us.

we will repay you by bringing a cup to Alberta within the next few years.

from our hearts to yours,

yours truly.

I’m ready to watch Neal become the 40 goal scorer and lead the oilers to a Stanley cup this year.

McDavid - art Ross
Neal - rocket

I can see it! Watch out for the oil.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
This guy is terrrrrrrrrrrible. Would way rather Yelesin come up if needed. Please god no.

Ya he was about as unimpressive as you can get in the 7 or so games he played with the Oilers. I have no idea why the Flames would sign this guy after releasing Stone?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I would think that this is more or less what this signals. One of Brodie/Hamonic is likely gone.

Meanwhile, Petrovic, Valimaki, and Kylington will all compete for bottom pairing minutes.

I doubt Valimaki is gonna have to compete for minutes with those 2. He’s pretty much locked into a spot in the lineup.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
My only guess is a Brodie deal might be in the works and he's willing to sign cheap.

That would be incredibly dumb:

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Kylington

Davidson-Yelesin
Petrovic

Petrovic is trash and should have no bearing on a Brodie trade or not. Not only would the flames be banking on Andersson seemlessly playing top pairing minutes and kylington playing on his offside, but then you better not have injuries issues with this dcore (especially on the right side which has no proven depth) given the godawful depth outside the top 6. Hamonic has yet to play a full season and Giordano is 35...

None of our dmen should be on the move at this point. Last resort is dumping Frolik for garbage.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That would be incredibly dumb:

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Kylington

Davidson-Yelesin
Petrovic

Petrovic is trash and should have no bearing on a Brodie trade or not. Not only would the flames be banking on Andersson seemlessly playing top pairing minutes and kylington playing on his offside, but then you better not have injuries issues with this dcore (especially on the right side which has no proven depth) given the godawful depth outside the top 6. Hamonic has yet to play a full season and Giordano is 35...

None of our dmen should be on the move at this point. Last resort is dumping Frolik for garbage.
If the Flames are indeed looking at Petrovic, they obviously see his playing ability differently that the way you see it. Petrovic would be brought into the bottom pairing, as the team doesn't think all of Valimaki, Andersson, and Kylington are ready for full time duties.

You might not like Petrovic, but he's better than Brandon Davidson and Yelesin has yet to play an NHL game.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If the Flames are indeed looking at Petrovic, they obviously see his playing ability differently that the way you see it. Petrovic would be brought into the bottom pairing, as the team doesn't think all of Valimaki, Andersson, and Kylington are ready for full time duties.

You might not like Petrovic, but he's better than Brandon Davidson and Yelesin has yet to play an NHL game.

He couldn’t play regular minutes with the oilers... he’s fighting for #7 minutes if he’s brought in imo.

I’m going to be skeptic of our pro scouts after their judgement towards Brouwer and Neal.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He couldn’t play regular minutes with the oilers... he’s fighting for #7 minutes if he’s brought in imo.

I’m going to be skeptic of our pro scouts after their judgement towards Brouwer and Neal.

I don't disagree with first part. Petrovic, assuming one of Hamonic/Brodie is moved, would be brought in to fight for #7 minutes and may not be in the lineup full time. If he's signed for near league minimum, I don't see what the big deal would be.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I don't disagree with first part. Petrovic, assuming one of Hamonic/Brodie is moved, would be brought in to fight for #7 minutes and may not be in the lineup full time. If he's signed for near league minimum, I don't see what the big deal would be.

Sure, but that wasn’t the overall point of my post. The flames shouldn’t be looking to move out a dman in the first place given the awful depth outside the Nhl level. There is too much “what ifs” if Brodie is just moved for cap space.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Sure, but that wasn’t the overall point of my post. The flames shouldn’t be looking to move out a dman in the first place given the awful depth outside the Nhl level. There is too much “what ifs” if Brodie is just moved for cap space.
Not really. Even if you replaced Brodie with Petrovic it's still a very competitive defensive line up, that could go toe to toe with most in the league. Given our position on RW, it could also, easily be argued that moving Brodie for futures, makes far more sense than trading Frolik

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Not really. Even if you replaced Brodie with Petrovic it's still a very competitive defensive line up, that could go toe to toe with most in the league. Given our position on RW, it could also, easily be argued that moving Brodie for futures, makes far more sense than trading Frolik

There's also zero possibility the Flames re-sign both Hamonic and Brodie. One will be walking for nothing, if not traded.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Flames will be disappointed if they expect Petrovic to be anywhere higher than a #8 depth guy. When the Oilers traded for him I was pleased as I remembered him as being a big RH shot who could skate and I thought he could be better on the bottom pairing than Benning on that side and maybe help the PK. It was a cheap bet, especially by Chiarelli standards. He did not come as advertised. Too slow. Non-factor.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Please play Prout against the Flames next season for every game. I really hope you do.

Hahaha. I remember him taking a dumb penalty trying to fight Evander Kane in the game after the Bennett hit. I trashed him then and mocked the Flames for playing him, but now I'm pulling a 180 and using certain analytics to convince myself that he might be decent. I don't think he will be used as anything more than a #7/8 guy, though.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hahaha. I remember him taking a dumb penalty trying to fight Evander Kane in the game after the Bennett hit. I trashed him then and mocked the Flames for playing him, but now I'm pulling a 180 and using certain analytics to convince myself that he might be decent. I don't think he will be used as anything more than a #7/8 guy, though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Prout was actually pretty good last season when called upon. Anyone shitting on his play quite frankly is clueless. No one will mistake him for a top 4 defenseman, but he plays a solid stay at home game and if he doesn't chase hits he is quite effective. He's also the quintessential team first player, he will do anything asked of him and be happy to do it and his teammates love him for it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

There is close to zero chance of trading a dman after buying out stone.

BT tried and failed. Trading Brodie no left no depth in the position.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
There is close to zero chance of trading a dman after buying out stone.

BT tried and failed. Trading Brodie no left no depth in the position.
There's still a lot of depth, especially if we sign Petrovic. Kylington, Davidson, Yelesin, Lerby, Petrovic....even Nielsen and Valiev could fill in on spot duty. That's more depth than we have actual RW's, in the entire organization. We do not need a $4.6 million dollar guy on our bottom pairing, period.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There's still a lot of depth, especially if we sign Petrovic. Kylington, Davidson, Yelesin, Lerby, Petrovic....even Nielsen and Valiev could fill in on spot duty. That's more depth than we have actual RW's, in the entire organization. We do not need a $4.6 million dollar guy on our bottom pairing, period.
No unless you don't want to win. Those guys are mostly junk or not ready. One big injury and we are f***ed.

Who is the 4.6 bottom pairing?

I agreed we need a top 6 RW but we do not have extra dman. If we trade one, we need to get another one without creating a massive hole and yes petrovic is not it.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
No unless you don't want to win. Those guys are mostly junk or not ready. One big injury and we are ****ed.

Who is the 4.6 bottom pairing?

I agreed we need a top 6 RW but we do not have extra dman. If we trade one, we need to get another one without creating a massive hole and yes petrovic is not it.
Teams don't win the cup after big injuries and you don't need 6 guys capable of playing top 4 minutes to win either. Cheap role playing guys have a bigger impact than Brodie ever will on the bottom pairing. I'd take Engelland over Brodie on the third pairing, without hesitation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad