Rumor: Flames in the market for a defenceman

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hickey and Ho-Sang for Frolik?
Hickey having 3 years left is tough because we really only want a guy for a year. I would probably do Frolik for Ho-Sang and a 4th/5th though and use the space to sign a UFA to a 1 year deal.

Absolutely, Frolik is excellent as a two-way guy. Just hard to say if his production will recover to what it used to be.
Frolik has really only had 1 down year (2017-18), his problem has been staying in the lineup.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Schlemko and Claesson are out there. Claesson was pretty good for the Rangers last year.

You don't want Schlemko, trust me.

Hutton's agent wants big $ - he made it very clear on an interview on the Vancouver Sportsnet radio about 2-3 weeks ago he feels Hutton is worth 4 M per year since he's a top 4 D (at least in terms of the minutes played in VAN). He's not signing a discount deal for like 1 M.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Luca Sbisa could be a potential FA option to be the 7 guy. If in teh lineup he'd likely be paired with Andersson or Brodie, both of whom would do the bulk of the puck handling on the backend. He adds some physicality when in the lineup, which is something the Flames have been keen on adding. He also played his Jr hockey in the area, so the transition may be easier for him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I seriously don't see the Flames acquiring anybody until after training camp. They have more than enough d-men already. They may acquire a cheap player to fill in for injury replacements, like they did with Fatenberg. I can't see them giving up any assets or taking on a multi-year contract though.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Note to commenters. Kylington has shown to be capable of bottom pairing duties. If we add anyone it is going to be a LHD for the pressbox.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
How much can the Flames afford? Take Staal or Smith. We'll pay 50%.
Likely just in the market for a ~$1M depth guy. Still have to sign Tkachuk and Mangiapane and only have around ~$7.5M to do so, so Staal or Smith would be way too expensive to take on even at 50% retained

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Frolik is the obvious...

But, I could see Brodie in a quality for quantity move/farm hand with upside. Or Brodie for futures and we sign some UFA to be the 7th guy on league minimum/2 way.

EDIT: Forgot about Davidson.

Brodie for futures is doable. Same as Frolik for futures. Or if less than 2 mil AAV coming back for either guy, it works too.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Frolik wasn't in our main 4 PKers, but he has been in the past and is a capable PKer. Very serviceable bottom 6'er who can play in the top 6 if needed.

Absolutely, Frolik is excellent as a two-way guy. Just hard to say if his production will recover to what it used to be.

Frolik is still good at the PK, he didnt play it too often last year since he was replaced by both Ryan and Lindholm.
Interesting, I like it. I do prefer to giving ho-Sang the chance here still though. But I like the idea of Frolik.

My argument against it other than lost potential of Ho-Sang is that I have no problem paying for middle 6 forwards, but adding Frolik to Komarov, Clutter, Cizikas etc might not be advisable. Then again Hickey isn't in the top 6 as of this moment and makes 2.75 so wash?

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
Would Calgary be interested in Christian Djoos?

Could be a fit, Capitals need to get under salary cap and trading Djoos is one way to do it.

Reactions: Futures Passed

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
To Cgy
Reilly, Weise

To Mtl
Frolik

Flames save ~500k.

Or

To Cgy
Reilly

To Mtl
Frolik, 3rd

Calgary saves ~2.8M

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Interesting, I like it. I do prefer to giving ho-Sang the chance here still though. But I like the idea of Frolik.

My argument against it other than lost potential of Ho-Sang is that I have no problem paying for middle 6 forwards, but adding Frolik to Komarov, Clutter, Cizikas etc might not be advisable. Then again Hickey isn't in the top 6 as of this moment and makes 2.75 so wash?

So you’re giving up a non top 6 D with 3 years left? That makes complete sense to the team that just bought out a guy making 3.5m with a year left.

Would just do Frolik for Ho-Sang straight up. Isles get even better defensively, get the better player but they take on the cap space.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs have a surplus of 3rd pairing LHD which can be had possibly 4th or 5th round pick. Salaries approx. $1M with a year remaining.

Barberio
Connauton
Anderson
Macdonald

A cheap stopgap until Valimaki recovers without any long-term commitment.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
To Cgy
Reilly, Weise

To Mtl
Frolik

Flames save ~500k.

Or

To Cgy
Reilly

To Mtl
Frolik, 3rd

Calgary saves ~2.8M

Flames probably don’t add a 3rd. Not in attachment to a guy like Frolik. Just don’t think the Habs and Flames are good trading partners.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Flames probably don’t add a 3rd. Not in attachment to a guy like Frolik. Just don’t think the Habs and Flames are good trading partners.

Flames may go the PTO or Phaneuf-type reclamation pathway... To be sure.

But considering their situation & window to chase a cup while key stars are on great cap hits, I can see them looking to both add a more reliable bottom pairing option & valuing creating cap space. If that is the route they take, Frolik's value as a cap dump likely exceeds his roster value... Filling the LD hole and freeing up cap space without moving him will be next to impossible.
Finding a team willing to trade pure player value and take on cap is highly unlikely.

Guess we'll see how it plays out...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad