Confirmed with Link: Flames Hire Brad Treliving as New GM

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I love the signing. Sounded a lot like the end of the year presser with Burke. He likes big guys which I agree with. Like Burke said he did everything in Phoenix and has a great draft record.

First rounders since being hired (2008): Boedker (8), OEL (6), Brandon Gormley (13), Mark Visintin (27), Connor Murphy (20), Henrik Samuelsson (27), Max Domi (13). That's every first. No busts.

Other picks of note are: Michael Stone (3rd round, '08), Lucas Lessio (2nd round, '11), Laurent Dauphin (2nd round, '13)

I wouldn't over analyze those picks. There's been some major turnover in the scouting department since Maloney arrived. I would say there's a good chance the Flames try to trade for Michael Stone, as he is the odd man out in Phoenix in terms of trade bait. He's got a bruiser mentality that I'm sure Burke can appreciate, as well as a cannon of a shot.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Don't know anything about the guy, so I can't comment. I like the fact that he's a fresh face rather than a recycled GM.

My thoughts exactly. Phoenix under Maloney has been a very well managed team considering the circumstances IMO. I trust Treliving to be able to run a tight ship in Calgary.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
My thoughts exactly. Phoenix under Maloney has been a very well managed team considering the circumstances IMO. I trust Treliving to be able to run a tight ship in Calgary.

So long as he doesn't go on a spending blitz like a college grad who gets his first paycheque we should be OK.

He seemed like a rational enough fellow in his press conference.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
So long as he doesn't go on a spending blitz like a college grad who gets his first paycheque we should be OK.

He seemed like a rational enough fellow in his press conference.
Yeah he's not doing this for the money, he's doing this to prove himself and because he loves hockey. He and Brian Burke are pretty similar like that, they both work their tail off and just loves doing it. I think we're in good hands now that we have a vet in Burkie to oversee things, Ken King to focus on getting a new arena, and Edwards to spend as much as he can for us to compete. I love the change and it IS the way to go.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I wouldn't over analyze those picks. There's been some major turnover in the scouting department since Maloney arrived. I would say there's a good chance the Flames try to trade for Michael Stone, as he is the odd man out in Phoenix in terms of trade bait. He's got a bruiser mentality that I'm sure Burke can appreciate, as well as a cannon of a shot.

I didn't realize he captained for the Hitmen back in the day too. 6'3", over 200lbs, right-handed shot, and like you said plays tough, he has all the qualities to be a top four Dman (did play over 20+ some nights, avg. 18+minutes.) I REALLY hope we do go for him if he's the odd man out in Phoenix. If Treliving loves Gio I have a feeling he definitely appreciates Stone's style of play.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary

I've always been a big fan of Stone's going back to his Hitmen days. He used to share the C and he always wore it well. I always held the (once) unpopular opinion that he'll be a better pro than his brother Mark. Personally I'd be stoked if we got him outta Phoenix.

I didn't realize he captained for the Hitmen back in the day too.

I'm pretty sure it was a rotating C. I believe Ian Schultz also wore it (another guy I always liked and thought he'd be a good pro), and I can't remember who the other person was.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Just going to reborn this thread with saying that I was curious with the history of the Coyotes' drafting when Treliving was AGM. Came across this article with the history. Treliving was hired after the 2007 draft, so from the 2008-2013 drafts, the Coyotes picked:

12 centres
9 left wingers
5 right wingers
15 defencemen
7 goalies.

Of the 26 players the Coyotes drafted from 2007-2010 (19 from 2008-2010), 10 (eight) have played at least one NHL game. Of those 10 (eight), three (two) are what we could call established NHLers - Turris (2007), Boedker, and Ekman-Larsson - while Stone looks likely to join that group.

If the goal is to get one out of seven picks correct - 14% - and the Coyotes have at least four of 26 (three of 19) picks we could consider successes - 15% (16%) - then with Treliving, the Coyotes appear to have drafted rather well. This still doesn't count players like Gormley and Murphy, who are still just breaking into a tough defence core; and Visentin, who, as a goalie, may get fewer opportunities for games.

Quality of player is exceptionally important as well. Turris, 24, has spent most of his NHL career in Ottawa, and is .51 PPG. Boedker, 24, has been a regular Coyote for about three and a half seasons, and is .43 PPG. Ekman-Larsson, 22, should be viewed as a budding star, and is .43 PPG as a defenceman.

I am just very excited that Treliving will probably be fixing our defensive depth immensely. He'll continue to draft centers as next priority. Wingers look to be last, but luckily we are already strong on the wingers. Just need to find some RWers in a draft.

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.c...nd-the-phoenix-coyotes-draft-record-2007-2013

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just going to reborn this thread with saying that I was curious with the history of the Coyotes' drafting when Treliving was AGM. Came across this article with the history. Treliving was hired after the 2007 draft, so from the 2008-2013 drafts, the Coyotes picked:

12 centres
9 left wingers
5 right wingers
15 defencemen
7 goalies.

I am just very excited that Treliving will probably be fixing our defensive depth immensely. He'll continue to draft centers as next priority. Wingers look to be last, but luckily we are already strong on the wingers. Just need to find some RWers in a draft.

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.c...nd-the-phoenix-coyotes-draft-record-2007-2013
1 man does not make a scouting staff though. Treliving can only be as good as the scouts feeding him information.

Also I think too much is being read into the picks on the blueline Stone and OEL are also the only regular defensemen on the Coyote roster this year that were drafted while Treliving was the AGM.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Wasn't sure where else to post this:

@DarrenDreger: Calgary Flames expected to announce Brad Pascall as assistant gm this morning. Craig Conroy also likely to be promoted.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pascall's involvement in Canada's U18 & U17 programs is going to be huge for the Flames IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad